TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Would you rather go to a smaller park?

Hollyweird? You knew it was a major (corporate) theme park before you spent that $50. That's your own fault.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of small parks at all. But that might be because the elite chain parks are the home parks I grew up with, and anything else feels completely obsolete. Especially since I'm not a fan of coasters or carnival-style flat rides.

Then why are you here...ohh you must be here for the donkeys!

And I understand what denx2 is talking about. Say for instance you didnt know anything about the park...you go and realize that you can complete everything in a few hours...you may feel a little cheated. Especially when you find out that you could have driven about a hour or so south to BGT that has the theming, the atompshere, the rides, the shows, and the animals...and not to mention free beer for about the same price if not less.

Thats it im done w/ IOA...that is until the next HHN next year !

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Growing up in SoCal, I've been surrounded by corporate-grandula all my life. I can honestly say that I would prefer a smaller park over a larger park. Back when Knott's was still family-owned, I thought it was the greatest thing. Even as a child I considered it the poor man's Disney, but for some odd reason I always managed to have more fun there. As an adult, I realized it was because it was a more relaxed, friendly atmosphere. The park was loaded with charm, and there was never a rush to do everything or get your money's worth, like at Disneyland. Of course, nowadays that's a completely different story . I do look forward to visiting places like Holiday World, Knoebel's and Silver Dollar City. I feel it'll take me back to a once-cherished and long-lost place down Beach Blvd. in Buena Park .

I've become spoiled with small parks. The last time I went to Disneyland after moving out of CA I didn't want to wait longer than 20 minutes for any ride. It's all about timing really. Big parks can be as fun as small parks if you go at the right time. When I went to Hersheypark (though it's more of a medium sized park), the longest I waited was 10 minutes for Storm Runner. The rest of the coasters in the park were literally walk ons. As much as I like the small park atmosphere, there's only so many times I can go on the same ride without getting bored. I guess what I'm saying is that small parks are better if they're closer, but if I'm going to travel a long distance I would rather go to a larger park.

I really like the small parks, but sometimes they don't have enough to keep you there all day. Parks like Kennywood, Holiday World, and Knoebel's have that small park feel but have enough to keep you there. Other places just seem to have too little for a full day. I enjoy that small park feel, but that doesn't mean I don't like the big parks like the Disney, Busch, and Universal offerings because there's just so much to do. Disney really pulls out of the 3 for having the friendly feel of the small parks in a large park setting.

BTW, If you're not a fan of coasters or flat rides, what else is left?

Was that sarcasm or an actual question? If it was sarcasm, ignore the rest of this post. If it was an actual question....

Dark rides, boat rides, log flume rides, river raft rides, simulators, themed drop rides, jeep rides, shoot-em'-up dark rides, car rides, sky bucket rides, people movers, non-looping coasters, monorails, 3-D attractions... and then there's the hybrid rides...

Donkeys are okay, I guess.

Was that sarcasm or an actual question? If it was sarcasm, ignore the rest of this post. If it was an actual question....

Dark rides, boat rides, log flume rides, river raft rides, simulators, themed drop rides, jeep rides, shoot-em'-up dark rides, car rides, sky bucket rides, people movers, non-looping coasters, monorails, 3-D attractions... and then there's the hybrid rides...

Donkeys are okay, I guess.

Actual question. Hmmm, I would feel quite limited with what parks offer as far as what you've listed. Although, Non-looping coasters are coasters I actually prefer them right-side-up myself. I used to love loops, then I got old.

Hollyweird? You knew it was a major (corporate) theme park before you spent that $50. That's your own fault.

Personally, I don't see the appeal of small parks at all. But that might be because the elite chain parks are the home parks I grew up with, and anything else feels completely obsolete. Especially since I'm not a fan of coasters or carnival-style flat rides.

OK, here is the appeal, expecially to someone like me, who at one time DREAMED of the huge corporate parks, and now Perfer the relaxed atmosphere of the smaller parks

1- Money, there is no question, smaller family owned parks are ALOT cheaper to visit, for example, Cliff's has free parking, cost $20 for an all day pass, and a meal with a hamburger fries and a VERY small coke cost around $5.

2- Relaxed Atmosphere. Alot of the major parks are VERY full, and generally you need to get there early and RUN to the rides you want to ride, unless you like waiting, at smaller parks this GENERALLY isn't the case, the lines are shorter

3- Better service and overall feel. Generally the parks are just run better, people care more about the park, and the rides are kept up. Staff has better costomer service skills, as the owners are RIGHT THERE, not a group of board members hundreds or thousands of miles away, more concerned about making money than satisfied costomers

I perfer to give my money to people who deserve it, Parks like Cliff's and MUCH bigger smaller park (cliff's almost can be catorgorized as minature) are well run and offer good value for you dollar

Chris "I figured dehydration can't be that bad, cause I'm not paying for an $8 cup of soda at SFMM" P.

• 10 years later...

Ah good question, not to mention another old post that needs to brought back up to speed. Bring out the applesauce!!!

Let's look at the differences between a large theme park and a small park.

THE PROS OF LARGE THEME PARKS-

They would have more rides, some rides they have you cannot ride anyplace else, themed areas, lots of coasters in many sizes and flavors, show venues, many restaurants and gaming venues, lots of space for future expansions, and new attractions every year.

THE CONS OF LARGE THEME PARKS-

High admission prices, parking fees, crowds at parks, long lines, food is expensive, and the offer of fast passes that can cause those without it to wait even longer in line.

THE PROS OF SMALL PARKS -

Low admission prices, short lines, having an old classic ride that's usually extinct in other parks, and cheap prices on food and games.

THE CONS OF SMALL PARKS -

Not that many rides, having just a few coasters, small area, and adding a new attraction every few years.

But an amusement park, no matter what size it is, must have the ability to draw people in year after year. You might have a park that's small on the outside, but it's big in the mind of families that enjoy attending that park and have many great memories. I go to lot of parks, both big and small, and each one of them have its own unique qualities about them. I might go to Cedar Point because of the coasters they have, or to Lake Winnie for what they have, or to Lakemont Park so I could ride its one-of-its-kind coaster Leaps the Dips. If I leave that park feeling very happy, then that park has done its job, no matter what its size is.

I'm not perfect; I just love to ride!

I mean Canobie is a great park, but it's not meant for diehard enthusiasts. It's a nice place to relax and take in some classic rides, and even the small rides are great! I would guess the same about Knoebels, but they have better rides overall.

In general, I do have the most fun at places that are popular but not super crowded, have 4 or 5 good roller coasters, plus all the other park staples (Ferris wheel, carousel, log flume, etc.). I have the most fun at places like this, and don't feel rushed to get to everything.

A small park can outdo a larger one on service easily, because the bigger you are, the harder it is to keep a consistent service level across all employees. Guests will come for the rides, but they'll come back because of how well they were treated.