Robbie & Natalie keep Freestyle Music Park in Business

At least for the day - Photo TR from 5/28/2009
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
SWF looking for dorky overweight coaster enthusiast to sweep me off my feet.

Robbie & Natalie keep Freestyle Music Park in Business

Postby natatomic » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:01 pm

Mmk, let's see if I remember how to do one of these Photo TR things. It's been a while since my last one (which I never even finished - but listen, I'm really sorry about that. Promise. Does it help any if I say I feel REAL bad about it? 'Cause I do.)

But really, what can I say about Freestyle Music Park that you couldn't guess yourself? We were there last Thursday when the park was open from 4-10pm, and we were basically 2 of 5 people that were in the entire park. Theming? Excellent. Rides? Not worth much more than the $16ish we paid to get in (Carolina discount, yo.) We had the park done in less than an hour and a half, and that included a separate lap for photos.

The B&M: I loved the color scheme, and the ride itself was fun in a cute sort of way; but it's nothing to write home about. I actually liked the music incorporated into the coaster (except in the station, the lift, and the end course break run, where it was WAY too loud), but Robbie (All Clear) didn't seem to care for it. The odd thing about the coaster was that it was basically one long, continuous grey-out for me (which isn't something I experience too often on rides), but the coaster wasn't even what I'd call "intense." I have no idea how they pulled it off, but props to whoever engineered that oxymoron of a coaster.

The ferris-wheel coaster (as you can see, I have the names of these rides totally chiseled into my rock of a brain) : I really enjoyed the lift, but the coaster part couldn't have been more than 30 seconds long, which was pretty disappointing. It was like riding Top Thrill Dragster without the thrill. Or the -ster. So that leaves us with what? Top Drag? Uhhh, yeah.

The soaker coaster thing: Really rough. Rougher than any of the other soakers I've been on (which is a grand total of one, but who's really counting?) Robbie and I sat in the back to avoid getting drenched which worked out pretty well for the most part. My hair got a little damp, but we all gotta make sacrifices these days, eh?

The kiddie: It was a kiddie. Fin.

The other coaster I've not yet talked about: As far as mine trains go, it was probably the roughest I've been on. The speakers weren't working, so I don't know if that's something they're still working on, or if they'll just never play again. The only thing that really saved this coaster was a BIG FREAKING FIREBALL at the end, which I did NOT see coming; and it was that lovely fireball that ended up being the highlight of the entirely trip for Robbie and me. I love you, Fireball!!!!

The dark ride: I never got to HRP when it was HRP, so I had no idea what was actually in the original dark ride beyond the fact that it was themed to an acid trip (which I'm sure you all know how TOTALLY FAMILIAR I am with those. Totally. I go trip on the acids all the time. Green acids...blue acids...I've, uh, tripped them all. Yep.) Still, I can GUARANTEE you the Nights in White Satin was better than what it is today, because it was nothing but motionless 2-d cardboard cutouts. Granted, the new owners had, what? Two months to completely gut the ride and put a WHOLE NEW RIDE in? So maybe it's temporary. Lord, I hope it's temporary. But it was just SO bad that Robbie and I just HAD to get shirts in honor of the ride, and part of me wonders if that wasn't exactly what the new park owners were going for all along. Sneaky b@st@rds and their reverse psychology. They're gonna make a fortune.

All in all, Freestyle Music Park HAS potential. It is DRIPPING with potential. I'd love to see it make it and really become something, like the next Universal or Disney. But judging by what the park has to offer right now, judging by what the new owners have to work with, it's gonna take a miracle.

(And shade. Holy crap, does that park need shade.)
FSMP & FK 001.jpg
This was the 4th billboard in a row within a 100 yard stretch of road about 40 miles away from the actual park. Then we didn't see another billboard for the REST OF THE DRIVE. Talk about putting all your eggs in one basket.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 008.jpg
Hard Rock Parkway...I'd like to know how the street name isn't infringing on any copyright laws.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 013.jpg
We arrived about five minutes after the park opened. As you can see, we did not beat what I'm sure was an INSANE rush.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 017.jpg
I know HRP/FMP wanted to attract an older crowd, but I think they might have overshot it a bit.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 018.jpg
OH MY GOSH ALL THE PEOPLE WE MUST KNOCK DOWN TO BEAT TO THE RIDES.

(There are gonna be a lot of terrible oh-heavens-look-at-all-these-people-and-note-my-adorable-and-charming-sarcasm jokes, so you better get used to them now)
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 019.jpg
I have a hunch that there used to be something sitting on that little red circle...
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 020.jpg
See? Pretty, pretty theming.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 023.jpg
Awwww! Easily the most attractive people in the park.

(Also the only people in the park, but whatever. LET ME HAVE MY MOMENT.)
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 028.jpg
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 029.jpg
Myrtle's Beach? Myrtle who? Hmmm...I feel like there's an allusion here I'm just not getting...
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 031.jpg
Seriously, it was Robbie & Natalie & No One Else Day at the park.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 032.jpg
Don't worry that FMP lowered its ticket prices. They're obviously gonna make millions on merch sales.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 034.jpg
Children are invisible in South Carolina.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 035.jpg
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 036.jpg
*Insert your own Scare Force One joke here.*
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 037.jpg
I'm hoping when/if the park closes, they'll let me have the B&M test seat.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 042.jpg
It actually was crowded at the park, it's just that the Harry Potter books are TRUE and everyone had an invisibility cloak.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 043.jpg
Mmmm...B&M support goodness.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 047.jpg
Okay, so as long as we're talking about crowds and how there weren't any, let's discuss operations. Ugh. They weren't too bad for the other rides, but this thing had one train running and it dispatched (no joke) approximately once every 15-20 minutes.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 052.jpg
You can't tell in the picture, but that stuff on the walls is actually a mosaic of album covers.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 053.jpg
I don't know what I took this crap photo for, but at least you can see where the camera is for on-ride photos.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 056.jpg
The rest of the train was completely empty.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 066.jpg
So apparently a time machine is nothing more than a zeppelin with some spiderwebs and cogwheels on it. Who knew?
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 067.jpg
I was disappointed in this thing, because each falling stream of water is NOT it's own unique note. I wanted to play my OWN song, not whatever bought & paid for Led Zeppelin song is programed in there.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 069.jpg
Hands off ladies, he is TAKEN.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 073.jpg
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 078.jpg
A look at the coaster across the pond.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 081.jpg
Oh wait! You mean to tell me that this land in FMP is called "Across the Pond?" Well, I'll be!
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 084.jpg
Yep...pretty British.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 095.jpg
I'll admit, I like the new name they came up for this one.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 092.jpg
There were a couple of areas like this in the park, where, if I wanted too, I could have easily HAD MY FINGERS TAKEN OFF. I'm not kidding - I'm 5'4 1/2", and it would only have taken one tiny hop for me to grab onto the track. Obviously I know NOT to do that, but what about the GP? Doubt it. Remember the rolling head at SFoG? Anyone? Good thing no one goes to this park, else someone would've died by now.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 101.jpg
Ohhhh...this thing.
Viewed 14839 times
a.jpg
This is a picture inside the queue. I'm not even kidding. I can see more with my eyes closed.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 102.jpg
This little area was fun. *shrugs*
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 104.jpg
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 106.jpg
Okay. Let me get this straight. You can disassemble an ENTIRE ride and redo it within a matter of a couple of months, but it's too much for you guys to replace the zippo lighter with a torch for Lady Liberty? Really? You couldn't take five minutes to whittle one out of balsa wood? Put a fake ice cream cone in there or something?

Wow. It's official. FMP is run by commies.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 107.jpg
A lone entertainer entertaining the only people in the park (who I suspect are her proud family coming to see her in action).
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 113.jpg
Kiddie
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 115.jpg
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 123.jpg
Soak'd - I don't know what purpose it serves to leave out the E. Is it hip? Is it all the rage? Is the letter E offensive to some people? Is it the number 13 of the alphabet? PLEASE TELL ME!
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 109.jpg
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 125.jpg
I think this one speaks for itself.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 126.jpg
Mine train
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 131.jpg
But see that metal thing with the two arrow heads? You can't see it all from here, but that's where the AWESOME fireball happens (i.e. that's where MAGIC happens, mmmhmmm.)
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 132.jpg
Theming...
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 128.jpg
Theming theming theming....
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 134.jpg
Kinda creepy theming...
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 133.jpg
Completely empty restaurant.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 137.jpg
I felt so bad for these guys. No audience to sing to. :'( I guess they get paid either way, but STILL. My guilt complex overrides any ounce of logic I have in me.
Viewed 14839 times
FSMP & FK 153a.jpg
And then we left. Good timing too, eh? Look at the throngs of people rushing in.
Viewed 14839 times

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Emiroo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:21 pm

Awesome TR!

And I do give FMP credit for the retheming they were able to accomplish in the whole 2 months they had. I think most of the names fit reasonably well without being too generic.

However, that place has to be hemorrhaging money. I don't see how they can possibly make it.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:22 pm

It's official. Natalie, your trip reports are more entertaining than this place will ever be.

Also, they stole the letter "E" from my middle name, so I took it back. Suckers.....or suckrs, as it is. :wink:
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

I will provide you with maximum pleasure.

Postby DBru » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:33 pm

Great Photo TR; I laughed out loud at most of those captions.

What day did you go? I've seen some other photo reviews of the park, but I've never seen it THIS empty... (Loved the picture with the tumbleweed. Nice use of editing. ;))

ODS Drummer

Postby Crazy4Coasters! » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:55 pm

That was an awesome TR. If you're a bit rusty on posting these up then I wasn't able to tell. Looking forward to future TR with you two kids. ;)

By the way I wish the park luck because it's depressing looking at all that empty space where people should be at. :(
-Josh
ImageImage

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Fry » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:05 pm

lol, that is EXACTLY what "Across The Pond" looks like :lolr:

Awesome report, I can see that park lasting... uh... so long... :?r

Non-German Tom

Postby Shockwave » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:09 pm

Great photos and captions Natalie.

File this park under Geauga Lake and Cypress Gardens!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:15 pm

That was amazing.

No way does this place make it through the summer.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Donkeys give me orgiastic scream!

Postby Allena.k.a.Alan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Good TR. Looks like FMP has yet to receive any love. It will be such a joke if it goes bankrupt for the second time after its second season.
Ladeedah ladeedah! :lmao:

Someday, I hope to find my own Indiana Jones.

Postby Jojo19799 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:26 pm

Great TR Natalie. I was excited when this opened up as Hard Rock Park, but obviously my opinion has changed somewhat. If I'm ever in the area I will make sure to check it out.

BTW, was that a tumbleweed I saw in one of the pictures???

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive