TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Toft's & America's Roller Coast

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never met someone who did not like Maverick!! I was so shocked!

Yes, well, Misty and I seemed to be the only ones. Everyone around us loved it. *shrugs* I guess that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

It is suppose to be a reminder to yourself that you just checked the seat.

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. A reminder to yourself...that you're doing what you're doing? I really wonder about Cedar Fair sometimes. My theory was that it was to draw that guest's attention to the fact that you had checked their restraint--which is also stupid, but I like it better.

Yes, though, I did enjoy my visit. It's not, ultimately, my kind of park--but it's still better than sitting on the couch...or working.

On a side note: It's funny to me how many enthusiasts seem to think that Millennium Force is "overrated," yet it placed #2 in the US in Mitch's most recent Steel Coaster Poll. Kind of makes me wonder what "overrated" even means....

We were actually told that the "check" procedure was something that the Paramount parks did. Cedar Fair liked the idea and added it to their parks.

Also, if you had a couple of weeks to play with, you should have checked to see that it was Math and Science week. I am working a split today and when I left at 1:30 the park was dead for Cedar Point standards.

^I wonder if that's just what they're telling CP Employees.

This 'CHECK' procedure actually started at Knotts after the woman fell out of Perilous Plunge. No one could confirm that the employee 'checked' the woman's restraint, so they implemented a policy where the ops now have to yell 'CHECK' after checking each restraint so that the rider and everyone around hears that their harness was in fact...CHECKED!!!

So annoying!

I think they do that at Canada's Wonderland too. The reason they ask you to check it yourself I think may have to do with lawsuits too. If an accident happens, they want to try and stay out of it so you don't say its their fault.

They do it at Kings Island too. While annoying, I think it's a pretty safe procedure.

While annoying, I think it's a pretty safe procedure.

Why? I mean, how does it increase safety?

To me, it's the equivalent of having to dribble a basketball down the dock while checking restraints. It's a distraction, and irrelevant. Now, perhaps there's some trade off for this distraction...but I'm not seeing it.

Elissa suggested that the procedure was so that it could be more easily determined if the restraint had been checked or not after a potential accident. But that's not really safety, that's assigning blame after the fact.

I was pleasantly disturbed by your trip report. I truly love Maverick, as it is my favourite coaster, and I agree with some that the transitions are spectacular. Mean Streak? Seriously. I suppose Ghostrider is wonderful too. Maybe because Maverick needs to be proactively ridden by the rider instead of just sitting there; people tend to rate it lower. Maybe because it isn't a record shattering ride, but delivers an aggressive performance, I enjoy it. But, that is my opinion versus yours. I agree with a lot of the CP complaints. It certainly doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of a BGE, BGA, etc......To me, that park is simply as smorgasborg of coasters and rides. Instead of spending 100 million on a themed dud, they spread it around on mega-rides that unfortunately wind up on concrete slabs. Great comments on this TR and superb photos.

At Six Flags parks a "visual check" is being used too. This may be the new fad for safety liabilities. It's strange, but I'd rather not end up on the news because some teenager didn't properly secure the riders on a train.

We were actually told that the "check" procedure was something that the Paramount parks did. Cedar Fair liked the idea and added it to their parks.

Whoever told you that was wrong. What Elissa said is right.

--Robb "Why don't people believe us? We have been working in the theme parks industry for a combined total of over thirty years now... we know our sh!t." Alvey

The only logical explanation about the "Check" policy is what Elissa said. It makes sense whereas all the other reasons clearly don't.

It's still dumb.

Electrik, amazing PTR! Even with all the pictures of the down rides it painted the park in a good light for me. Maybe I don't look at too many CP PTRs but it really shows how photogenic the park is. There are a lot of nice looking areas. I want to go to there...again.

"Baby I'm ready to go!"

OH! And I loved Maverick when I rode back in 2007. I wonder if it's not aging too well.

Maverick and Furius Baco both have the 'ride anywhere but the front seat and come off with a headache' syndrome.

Seriously, I think they are just very intense, agressive rides. I love them in the front seat, but won't even THINK about riding anywhere else (and in Baco's case, only a front inside seat!)

It's really a bummer that that's how the rides turned out, I can only imagine it to be a great ride in the back seat minus the headbanging.

I tend to be pretty forgiving about downtime. But, at a certain point, it sort of has to become the park's fault. Something was definitely not right with the amount of downtime we experienced.

This must be a chronic issue with Cedar Point, both times ive been there the coasters were breaking down like crazy. The last time I was there MF, TTD, Maverick all opened late. In addition to that MF and TTD broke down while we were in line (Dragster broke down like every 1/2 hour, I fet like it was 2003), Maverick broke down like 4x while we were in line and a bunch of times we walked past it it was broken down also, Wicked Twister broke down while we were in line.

CP, there are other companies out there that dont start with I and end with ntamin! Should look into that.

Another great TR, Electerik!

I think your TR's may just be my favorite. They always have a quirkiness about them, and you always seem to get shots that you usually never see in other TR's.

Thanks for sharing!

I see where you're coming from about Maverick. I used to not like it as well, but for some reason last year I just ended up loving the damn thing!

I think it's because I decided to hold on and not let myself get slammed around.

I also agree with your thoughts on Millennium Force. While it's not my #1 steel, I would definitely put it somewhere in my top 5.

Thanks again for sharing!

P.S. I still have that awesome photo that you took of Tennessee Tornado set as my desktop background.

I can agree on Maverick with you elekterik. I went to CP a month after it opened, and I really wasn't impressed. I didn't get much airtime, the seats were uncomfortable, and the line was extremely long and not worth the wait. I also really enjoyed magnum. I found more airtime on that than Maverick. However, I really enjoyed Wicked Twister. The seats were fine to me, and it was a great ride. Awesome trip report

Amazing shot! Reminds me why I like Thunder Canyon so much.

Mean Streak. Um...it was better than Maverick.

WTF?.....I suppose everyone is entitled to...their own opinions. Again, WTF?

Ok, the shock is over. Maverick is my favorite ride in the park and I even liked it more than Superman at SFNE.

This is really the first I have seen anything of the other rides in the park like the car rides, Paddlewheel Excursions, and the train. Very nice.

And I agree with Cedar Fair's ridiculous safety policy. Seat belts on EVERYTHING. Next thing we know, there will be seat belts on top of other seat belts. However, about the seat belts on Wicked Twister, they have those on V2 at SFDK too, so it's not just a Cedar Fair thing. But I do really hate it when the seatmates interfere with the ride. Take Knott's Ghostrider for example, last time I rode, it seemed like it was going to be a good ride for a change, then at the top of the airtime hill, the metal edge of the seat belt jammed into my lap, breaking the skin and leaving a fairly large wound. Now I remember why I hate that ride. The "CHECK" procedure only really bothers me when they yell into my ear instead of to the other ride ops. It's the little things about Cedar Fair as to why I don't really like them.

Once again, great photos.

Mean Streak. Um...it was better than Maverick.

WTF?.....I suppose everyone is entitled to...their own opinions. Again, WTF?

Just so we're clear: Mean Streak wasn't actually good. I just really disliked Maverick.

But it's more than just a question of different taste or whatever. I really do think body shape/type has a lot to do with Maverick being so uncomfortable (for me).

My one ride was in the front, by the way.

Take Knott's Ghostrider for example, last time I rode, it seemed like it was going to be a good ride for a change, then at the top of the airtime hill, the metal edge of the seat belt jammed into my lap, breaking the skin and leaving a fairly large wound.

Now this really makes me sad. "The" airtime hill? What have they done to my ride?? (Haven't been on GhostRider since...oh, 2003 maybe....)

Millie is definitely a million times better than Mavie (and I'm not talking about my dog Millie- I'm talking about MF)!

I wonder if its a size issue- I didn't like banging my head throughout the entire ride. I also have the same problem on WT that you mentioned and the annoying thing is you can feel the harness lock before the belt gets into its slot so why are the belts not longer? (And again its a chest issue- not a gut issue)

The logic at CP always amazes me. When I worked on CC Mine Ride last year we would be told to add a 3rd train. The ride gets 80 more passengers per hour with the third train on. Because she is an OLD arrow CC has to have weight in her trains when they are 1st put on and it takes about 20 minutes to add a train and another 20 minutes to take it off. In that 40 minutes you lose like 1200 riders. Also with only one lap bar setting you get almost every train stuck in the station for longer than usual because of people that have too much around the middle and the 3rd train stops on the lift- every cycle (partially because they took the block brake out that used to be before the last helix).

They can't do basic math!

PS: Is it true that due to a lawsuit they now have to pay their employees overtime? If that's true I'd expect a lot of downtime this summer because even when employees worked 70+ hours a week they had trouble fully staffing the park.

Being a local I see in the Register periodically of people suing Cedar Point. It happenes constantly! They have to have these rediculous saftey procedures and signs for legal reasons.

Also I gotta give a shout out to Tofts as well it is a great place!

Finally I never have any issues on Maverick as far as head banging, etc. In fact the only ride at CP that's ever gave me a headache or any kind of pain is Corkscrew lol.

Always enjoy reading trip reports from people not from around the park and I enjoyed yours. Thanks.

Tom