TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

^Oh Please.

In case you didn't notice, I was complimenting you at the end.

Everything else was to get you up-to-date, and informed as to why this won't happen.

As for the mean spirited comment about losing a park here in SoCal - IMO, only 2 parks would be worth rebuilding anyway, Universal Studios and Disneyland.

And, they'd have the money to do it.

Calm down. Enjoy the ride.

JJ

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh oh...I seem to have made a mistake, I was in a hurry to read and post. I skimmed a bit too fast, and had mistaken the comment for something else

Sorry about that, I see what I've done.

But thanks for the comment, I owe it to the NO public school system

^No Legoland?

Ya know, while thinking about my response, I had to think about Legoland.

It's a beautiful, intriguing place. But, it's more show than substance. Best part of the park, for me, is Miniland. I've seen quite a few Lego displays at other parks and such that I don't really feel I'd miss it. As it is, I may only go once every 2-3 years.

So, no. Sorry Joe.

JJ

• 2 weeks later...

Oh no!

An ultimatum!!!

When SFI, lets the deadline pass, THEN WHAT????

The city of New Orleans is just blowing smoke.

Nothing will happen. The city can't sue, as they REFUSED the offer by SFI two years ago. Now they want they offer extended again?? Please.

If they do, more than likely, it'll be thrown out of court.

(Unless, of course, Danny Rogers is also an attorney!)

JJ

New Update! Today N.O. won an injuction in the civil district court against SF. Also, they city was able to get a temporary restraining order preventing the removal of any more rides, and other stuff. Read about it here: http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2009/05/city_granted_temporary_restrai.html

There was also an interview with the city attorney talking about the winning of the injuction thing. I can post the link to that if anyone wants to hear it, if you reply to the update, just tell me so I can edit this post.

New Update! Today N.O. won an injuction in the civil district court against SF. Also, they city was able to get a temporary restraining order preventing the removal of any more rides, and other stuff. Read about it here: http://www.nola.com/business/index.ssf/2009/05/city_granted_temporary_restrai.html

There was also an interview with the city attorney talking about the winning of the injuction thing. I can post the link to that if anyone wants to hear it, if you reply to the update, just tell me so I can edit this post.

That's too funny. I don't think there's anything else in the park that Six Flags would even want to take. Looks like the City of New Orleans is being run by several "Johnny Comelately's"

I thought I'd rekindle the age-old argument of whether this park will come back or not with this: promises from Mr. Rogers himself.

- Funding is being secured. And so on and so forth. The money is coming from all over the place: federal grants and loans, investor money, HUD loans, and a few more sources.

- The Skycoaster (upcharge attraction) faces the possibility of being removed. It will most likely be replaced with another attraction.

- The two drop towers taken from the park, manufactured by S&S, will not be replaced. Something else is planned for the area.

- Martin & Vleminckx rides has both inspected and placed bids on contracts for refurbishing rides. The four roller coasters and two other "major rides" are repairable, and will reopen.

- The Jester will be turned around so it can run the course forwards for once. I would say, "You're welcome," but it's not 100% official the park will be back yet.

- Both the "Legend City" name and the theme/waterpark fusion concept are still in place. This will be a hybrid park like no other.

- One of the new attractions to be installed in the park is a custom-built train ride that features thematic elements. It will be located in the "Buzzard Creek" themed section of the park, wherever that will be (I'm assuming in the large space behind Jester, because that's the only place with room for it). I can't remember what theming will happen, but it'll basically be a story-as-you-ride concept.

And the most exciting news.....

- The MegaZeph (From the CCI Class of 2000) will go through an extensive rehab courtesy of M&V Rides. It will also be getting two brand new 12-car trains, costing a smidge under $600,000. The manufacturer, you ask? The Gravity Group. Yes, I'm talking Timberliners. Zephy could possibly be the first woodie to run them.

So take that with a grain of salt or a ton of bricks.

Cheers,

Alex

Source: this forum.

That sounds just like what the guy wanting to open Granite Park in Fresno said. They are lining up funding. You know something? I give SFNO opening about as much chance as Granite Park opening. It is not going to happen.

This does have a lot of similarities with the Granite Park situation. I don't think the park will get going, but it's nice to see actual effort made towards getting it open.

NOLA can't support a park. If this does open, Recession or not, it's going to have a hard time surviving the first season. Unless they're actually following through with the amazing transformation Danny has planned. Even then, it might be money better spent elsewhere. I'll cautiously support this as long as it's going.

Cheers,

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is really intersting.

And Tatum, the odds of this park sitting dormant for years are better than any chance to revive it. I appreciate the efforts to reopen it, and I'm going to support it. But I'm still skeptical.

Thanks for the find!