Erik & Misty's Smoky Mountain Adventures

Dollywood, Mini Golf, & What Have You
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Cubs/Colts Fan

Postby spaceace12 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Why they call them the Smoky Mountains. (Note: This is not actually true. Just go with me here.)

Funny story about what you just said. The weather guy at my station just had a tower cam picture similiar to this picture (with the low clouds but flat land) and said, "this is why they call them the smokey mountains" (the low clouds and all). If you don't mind me asking, why do they call them the smokey mountains (if you have a link, that would be awesome), I love to prove the weather guy wrong here.

I Love Bunnies

Postby Teacups Make Me Sick » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:19 am

It cracks me up that there are not one, but two skyride-type rides in Gatlinburg...I could see if you are on a high peak looking down or seeing the Smokey Mountains 'as far as the eye can see'...however, the town isnt really much to look at...a couple hotels, gas stations.

I really dont get the draw.

WDW Monorail Fanatic

Postby BeemerBoy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:40 am

^ But that's just it. You could slap a chairlift-type ride just about anywhere with an elevation change, and people will inevitably pay the cost to ride it, and think it's fascinating.

At least with the Ober Gatlinburg tram there's something slightly interesting to do at the top.

<------Doesn't get the draw of the Grand Canyon either, but people continue to stop and stare at it, regardless of it just being a huge hole in the ground.
Displaying "Online Enthusiast Morality" since 2006, with 99.9% more sarcasm.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:25 am

spaceace12 wrote:The weather guy at my station just had a tower cam picture similiar to this picture (with the low clouds but flat land) and said, "this is why they call them the smokey mountains" (the low clouds and all). If you don't mind me asking, why do they call them the smokey mountains (if you have a link, that would be awesome), I love to prove the weather guy wrong here.

Well, actually, it's a bit unclear. The Cherokee called them "shaconage," which sounds a bit like "smoky" in English. However, the word actually means "blue mist." So the question is: Is it simply a mistranslation based on the sound of the word, or is "mist" enough like "smoke" that it makes no difference either way?
Erik Allen Elness

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Fri May 01, 2009 5:31 pm

The biggest mini golf place in the area is Old MacDonald's Farm, in Sevierville (pronounced like the word "Severe.")
05P4296081.JPG
It's part of the small Ripley's ("Believe It or Not") empire here in Sever County.
20P4296098.JPG
There are three separate 18-hole courses.
22P4296099.JPG
The Udder Course is allegedly the easiest.
23P4296100.JPG
Chicken Egg-Spress is the medium one.
24P4296101.JPG
And Porky Putts is the hardest.
28P4296107.JPG
As is usually the case with these sorts of things, though, I can’t tell any difference.
40P4296112.JPG
Misty tries her hand at the Chicken Course.
45IMGP1016.JPG
All three courses are of the “interactive talking animals” variety.
50IMGP1063.JPG
I have no idea what I'm doing here.
65P4296115.JPG
The guard dog pops out if you hit the ball underneath him.
67P4296117.JPG
“Pigs Do Fly” is Old Macdonald’s advertising tag line.
70P4296123.JPG
It’s right out in front of the area’s largest outlet mall, Tanger (pronounced like the space drink by the locals).
75IMGP1034.JPG
Pretty good scarecrow imitation, I think.
79IMGP1069.JPG
All three courses converge on the henhouse ball return.
80P4306130.JPG
Because I’m awesome like that.
87IMGP0988.JPG
Ding, ding, ding!
90P4306132.JPG
There's also an arcade.
92P4306139.JPG
Unfortunately, the one pinball machine (“Ripley’s Believe It or Not,” naturally) was out of order. But at least there was Skeeball.
95P4306143.JPG
We won a pirate ball. Gar.
99IMGP0983.JPG
It’s worth checking out if you’re into mini golf. We always have fun there.
Erik Allen Elness

Mullets never go out of style!

Postby TheRapidsNerd » Sat May 02, 2009 6:01 am

There were just so many place we didn't have time for last fall, and this is one of them. Love mini golf and skeeball (pinball too).

This is turning into a great guide! Keep up the good work. =)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Sat May 02, 2009 6:13 am

Does Ripley's have to take over EVERY cheesy tourist trap town?

I can understand the museums, but 4-D theaters and mini-golf?
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sat May 02, 2009 9:12 am

This is a fun thread Erik. Thanks for sharing. I always wondered what was at the top of the Sky Lift, and now I know. Has the Space Needle structure been painted black? I really hope not!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby eddie200330 » Sat May 02, 2009 12:04 pm

"A famous song with a Tennessee connection was written in one of this hotel’s rooms. Anyone?)"

What is the answer?? I can only think of Rocky Top or Tennessee River....
Life is a lemon and I want my money back????

He who farts in church sits in own pew.............

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Sat May 02, 2009 12:24 pm

This golf course is also right next door to the Nascar Speedpark which I believe the TPR Deep South trip will be paying a visit to.

Great thread so far! Although, it could use some shots of Ninja weapon stores. :)

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive