Erik & Misty's Smoky Mountain Adventures

Dollywood, Mini Golf, & What Have You
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby nursemelis374 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Love the caption about Burt and Dolly sitting in the front seat! The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is one of my favortie movies!

I always love your trip reports and they get me so excited for the Deep South Trip!

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:42 pm

Very nice TR. Looks like a great place you live in, there! One day I'll have to stop in.

We don't need any earthquake rides here in California...we get the real thing often enough...

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

This B&M donkey is so smooth!

Postby speedmetal » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Notice anything odd about this photo? (Or rather, with what’s going on in the photo?)

You mean the maintenance guy on the track pushing the kiddie coaster? He worried me a little.

Too bad you couldn't get that picture of the guy with the stick. :P
Caution: Smisty

I Love Bunnies

Postby Teacups Make Me Sick » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:58 am

I found the first picture of the "space needle" interesting considering you at the same height as the needle itself.

I guess things are a bit different down south.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:46 pm

TheRapidsNerd wrote:With so much to do in both Pigeon Forge AND Gatlinburg, this as an on-going thread would be a huge help to anyone interested in those areas. I'd be very interested in seeing what other attractions you go to. Seriously, great work here!

Thanks, Michael. I really appreciate that. Part of the inspiration for this thread is the private messages I occasionally get asking for advice on the area. And, also, it gives me a place to post all of my lame mini golf photos. ;)

Teacups Make Me Sick wrote:I found the first picture of the "space needle" interesting considering you at the same height as the needle itself. I guess things are a bit different down south.

It's funny you should say that....

Gatlinburg's other observation-type attraction is the Sky Lift.
05P4134227.JPG
Basically, it's a chair lift. One end is right on the parkway...
10P4134226.JPG
...and the other is at the top of that there mountain. It's a bit overpriced at $12.00 for adults, but it's still fun.
13P4134120.JPG
Yes, you go right over the Gatlinburg Inn’s parking lot. (A famous song with a Tennessee connection was written in one of this hotel’s rooms. Anyone?)
15IMGP4932.JPG
The view up is, well, pretty much just dirt at this point.
20IMGP4939.JPG
Animatronic! (Sorry, I scream that whenever I see one.) Smile for the on-ride photo.
25P4134155.JPG
At the top are an observation deck and a really typical “I’m with stupid…on the moon” gift shop.
30IMGP4940.JPG
It's a pretty nice view.
32IMGP4942.JPG
Why they call them the Smoky Mountains. (Note: This is not actually true. Just go with me here.)
38P4134160.JPG
Time to head down.
42P4134192.JPG
Aw, don't be sad, Smisty. The ride down is the best part!
45P4134203.JPG
Down the mountain, over the river, across the road, through the hotel parking lot, and back into the station. Not bad, eh?
P5185827.jpg
And that's the Sky Lift.
Erik Allen Elness

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:26 pm

Before this visit, and despite living in towns that had them for at least the last eight years or so, I had never been to the Dixie Stampede. What can I say? I’m just not a show guy. Still, when the opportunity arose to go for free, for the fourth year in a row, I finally gave in. And...well, it wasn’t bad, actually. In fact, I kind of enjoyed it.

Fair warning, though: Photography of the actual show is not permitted. But that’s not to say that there’s nothing to take pictures of....
05IMGP2090.JPG
The Dixie Stampede, as seen from the Parkway.
10IMGP2082.JPG
The entrance is around to the side.
15IMGP2078.JPG
The ticket booths and a lady who's wondering why I'm taking a picture of them.
20IMGP2076.JPG
You go in here...
30P2160035.JPG
...get your photo taken...
32P2160051.JPG
...watch some pre-show entertainment...
34P2160044.JPG
...drink some fruity stuff from a souvenir "bootmug"...
35P2160023.JPG
...try to figure out which stall to use if you're from California...
55P2160073.JPG
...and then settle in for the show.
60P2160069.JPG
The menu is printed on the napkin. Now that’s efficiency.
65P2160067.JPG
The main arena.
80P2160106.JPG
The Master of Ceremonies guy putting up his horsy.
85P2160093.JPG
Giant Dolly Parton orders you to exit through the gift shop.
90P2160094.JPG
Here you can stuff your own cute, lovable critter.
95P2160110b.JPG
And then abandon it by the side of the road.
Erik Allen Elness

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:17 pm

Owned by the same people, bigger in scope, but not quite as cheesy (unfortunately) as Earthquake, comes the Jurassic Jungle Boat Ride!
01IMGP2267.JPG
Cost? A whopping $13.99 for adults! But fear not, no sacrifice is too great for you, my loyal readers!
10IMGP2188.JPG
Misty's "waiting for a boat" face.
25IMGP2251.JPG
The track leading to the entry doors. It’s worth noting that at no point is the boat free floating.
32IMGP2190.JPG
I’m friendly!
33IMGP2172.JPG
A T-Rex defending its waterfall.
35IMGP2200.JPG
More creepy fake customers.
40IMGP2203.JPG
The doors open into a prehistoric world of fog machines and cargo netting.
55IMGP2212.JPG
I will eat you! - Rather than continuously moving through the attraction, the boat frequently stops so that you can be better menaced.
60IMGP2216.JPG
Hey, what’s that up there?
61IMGP2226.JPG
GAAHHHHRRR!
65IMGP2228.JPG
This one doesn’t seem so bad.
80IMGP2223.JPG
Uh-oh.
82IMGP2219.JPG
Luckily, he's not interested in us.
90IMGP2192.JPG
This photo is slightly out of order, but I want to use it to explain the ending of the ride. You cruise up to the closed exit doors and stop. Then, for no storyline reason I can fathom, the front of the boat is slowly lifted up about five or six feet out of the water, and...
95IMGP2250.JPG
...a giant disembodied snake head pops out of the wall. Then you’re slowly lowered back down (if you’re in the front...if you’re in the back, not much really happens). The doors open, and you’re free. Ta-da!
99IMGP2195.JPG
We survived!

Verdict: Not quite good enough to stand on quality, not quite cheesy enough to succeed on charm. Plus, it’s really expensive. Unless you live here, or just have to ride anything with a dinosaur in it, it’s probably not worth your time. Just ride Blazing Fury while you’re at Dollywood instead.
Erik Allen Elness

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby crazydaveh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:02 pm

Only in the "Honeymoon Capitol of the South!" Great pics. I used to go to Gatlinburg/PF back when I lived in Atlanta, not so much anymore. The pics remind me of all the money I spent on stuff like that!

Did you go up to Ober Gatlinburg?
Beer... It helps coasters go higher and faster!

Dave

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/78611756e2677af30ecbe7f169e00926.jpg[/img][/url][url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/32a684dcd0f18289ee3e5a31292b8f5a.jpg[/img][/url]

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:28 pm

^ I've been a few times, but not yet this year. I'm sure I will, though.

One could definitely go broke doing all this stuff. Luckily, because the area has so few actual residents, most business give really generous local discounts. I even get into several places for free.

/Still not used to that white stuff that occasionally falls from the sky, though.
Erik Allen Elness

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:37 pm

Awesome TR! I went to Tennessee the year before Mystery Mine was built. I did almost everything you did except the space needle & mini golf. I stayed in a cabin on the top of a mountain in Gatlinburg & the scenery was amazing! I love Tennessee & want to go back soon.
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive