TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Scott's Coaster Closet

Whoa! Washington ACTUALLY has something of roller coaster historical importance? I'm quite surprised by that, because Washington doesn't have too many coasters, and the few here are just "ok." That's a cool fact that I think I'll have to consider next time I ride Coaster.

What???!!! The Puyallup Coaster is a perfect little gem and one of my favorite rides of all time. That thing is a living, breathing piece history. Oh, and those trains ... And though it's near-perfect, it'll be even better once it finishes its upcoming stint in rehab (everyone needs a little love/help sometime ... ).

OMG!!! those PTC trains are beautiful. Gotta love that 1940's to 1950's streamline look. That Hunt's Pier little train was sweet. Great pics. Thanks. Keep them coming.

Yeah, I don't know why more weren't produced. AFAIK, the three that went to FPH were the only ones PTC built. NAD played around with the headlight thing (and did a great job with their classy Century Flyers), but that sleek streamlined railroad-inspired rolling stock is my fav.

OMG!!! those PTC trains are beautiful. Gotta love that 1940's to 1950's streamline look. That Hunt's Pier little train was sweet. Great pics. Thanks. Keep them coming.

Yeah, I don't know why more weren't produced. AFAIK, the three that went to FPH were the only ones PTC built. NAD played around with the headlight thing (and did a great job with their classy Century Flyers), but that sleek streamlined railroad-inspired rolling stock is my fav.

I have never seen trains like that before.It would be so cool if one of these new woodies use trains like these. Having that head lite flickering down the track at night. So cool.

Man..everyone has these wistful recollections of how great Joyland's coaster was; I wish I had one...that didnt involve needing a Percoset or something. And it's not because my back is weak or anything, I dont think, because I dig SLC's, among other things. Guess I was just unlucky or rode the wrong bench.

Great collection of photos

Scott

Man..everyone has these wistful recollections of how great Joyland's coaster was; I wish I had one...that didnt involve needing a Percoset or something. And it's not because my back is weak or anything, I dont think, because I dig SLC's, among other things. Guess I was just unlucky or rode the wrong bench.

Great collection of photos

Scott

Not sure what was up with your less-than-comfortable rides on the Joyland coaster. I always found it rather smooth. Of course, I tend to stay away from wheel seats ...

new here, and thought i would throw in a pic or 2 of the last car to the yellow train from Idora's Wildcat...i saw Defcon62's blue car, and that someone asked about the yellow, well i have one !! and its in my workshop, staying warm and dry

wc1.JPG.33156c3adcde71a2e41db4f3ab5297ca.JPG

car from front

wc2.JPG.ea0036be81abefcb175bcb65b53c89c8.JPG

side showing original stickers

Glad to see these trains have not been scrapped and may one day be restored. Of course, to have the Wildcat rebuilt with them once more burning up the track would be even better!

Someone asked a few pages back about photos of the blue train in operation, I finally found my postcard. Note the structure was white here and not the more familiar deep yellow most people remember in later years.

ip2.jpg.814ab570fb02acde0089600c8963a95b.jpg

ip1.jpg.5cc7a101757da16a2edb20eeebacacbe.jpg

Yes, it's true ... I'm all about the history. But every now and then I like to mix it up a bit. So here are a few pics of Kings Island's hot new Diamondback hyper. It's a great ride, which is no big surprise, really. It's B&M (B. was here today to cut the ceremonial ribbon!), and their hypers are always rather impressive.

Though Apollo's Chariot remains one of my favs, Diamondback is an incredibly powerful contender. It rides like CW's Behemoth but it's more twisted and secluded. The airtime, especially in the aft sections of the train, is quite impressive. How nice to be yanked over the drops and then float ALL THE WAY DOWN. Wheeeeeeeee

I'm looking forward to night rides tomorrow. I imagine they'll be even more intense.

d7.jpg.579033b9805cee5f681914fd2620c47e.jpg

Leaping over KI's railroad bridge.

d5.jpg.83f61e92d199edab6fe738fc335a1bc5.jpg

This will be DARK during night rides.

d6.jpg.d198ba204d181e22d535e42d3cf6ac95.jpg

Is that an inversion?

d4.jpg.26c23b63411b335c7597565bce941a13.jpg

Backseat nirvana!

d3.jpg.db55abee0b6ac8af2baa2b9636c97ef0.jpg

Free-falling!

d2.jpg.8ad476004b28863dfcf52d5fba2ab872.jpg

Pure joy!

• 2 weeks later...

Rode Diamondback 4 times today. Front, middle and back. All incredible rides and distinctly different. Awesome coaster! Easily in my top 10.

All in all, it was a great day! I was able to whore the whole park in a little under 4 hours. that includes the Little Bill coaster! Ask James Dillman. It was hilarious!

Thanks for showing me around the park James and PKIjizzman. (Zach) I had an awesome time. I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Guy "All I need is the Racer Blue track." Koepp

Glad you had a good time. KI is a great park. And Diamondback is one sweet hyper ... especially at night.

Oh, and did you check out the Beast? I was totally impressed by all the track work. Though the permanent magnetic trims are ... sucky ... I was amazed at how rideable it was. I miss the the REAL Beast of 1979. It was beyond amazing.