Mark's Postcard Paradise

A-Z - Disney's MAGIC KINGDOM 1970's-80's
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:05 am

restoca...I just noticed it looks like both your Cedar Point and Lake Compounce cards were made by the same company. Also, the same company name appears on cycamps' Riverview and CP Ballroom cards from p.43, so this company must've been one of the major park postcard makers back in the day.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby restoca » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:33 pm

^ You're right, Mark. I noticed the similar numbering system on the lower right of most cards with a white boarder. I'd sure like to see a catalogue of all this company produced related to amusement parks.

Here's another beauty they did. Although it's not identified on the card, I think this must be the Dips coaster, which began operation in 1909 and was designed by Edward Vettel.
westview1.jpg
westview1b.jpg

Postby thrillerman1 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:09 am

^ LOVE those colors. That is gorgeous! I would love to have tried out the wicked looking hairpin turn on the Dips!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:50 am

One of my rare Idora cards became part of the discussion over at my Closet. I thought I'd share it here as well. Idora fans will notice the white-painted structure instead of the later, more familiar deep yellow/turquoise color scheme. Though its been gone for 20+ years, I still miss the wonderfully intense and powerful Wildcat. :?r
ip1.jpg
ip2.jpg

Postby SeaWhippet » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:37 am

Here's another old ride that deserved a better fate – The Mountain Park Flyer. I was lucky to ride it many times during its last few seasons. It was always fast, loose and entertaining. The Century Flyers made this classic extra special. I miss it too. :?r
mflyer1.jpg
mfler2.jpg

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:48 pm

Here's a great old ride that used to be a staple at every Six Flags park. Some still have them but not Six Flags over Texas.
spinnaker a.jpg
spinnaker b.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby thrillerman1 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:08 am

One of my favorite parks on the US west coast is Bonfa...err Gilroy Gardens. Those Circus Trees are amazing! You can see one of them forming a garden gateway arch in the lower right corner of this card as well as on the back side of the card.
Bonfante Front_800x527.jpg
Bonfante Back_800x527.jpg

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby restoca » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:05 am

Here's another beauty, and one of my favorite cards. This is the Coaster Dips, which operated from 1921 to 1968. This photo is prior to 1949, when new streamlined NAD trains were installed.
glenecho1.jpg
glenecho1b.jpg

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:11 am

That's a sweet card! I've always been intrigued by Glen Echo's Coaster Dips. It was notorious for being a wild ride and suffered at least five fatalities during it's long run ... including decapitations. :?r

I find it amusing that the Do Not Standup warning is on the "front" of the lead car. :)

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby netdvn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:51 am

^ Decapitations??? :?r

Anyway, these postcards are amazing. Seeing all these defunct coasters makes me feel kinda sad though.

I'll post whatever I've got when I can get my scanner back up and running.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!