Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

P. 771 - Firebird Roller Coaster Announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Postby CoasterNERD502 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:55 am

Six Flags America opens for the 2009 season today! I've been waiting for this day to come since the last day of Fright Fest ended!! I can't wait to get back to the park and ride some coasters!

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby CoasterLover » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:07 am

Well, it's no coaster, but I think deep down most people will agree that this is more along the lines of what the park really needs... if nothing else, good to see the park is planning ahead!

(Photo courtesy of SFAFans.com, but unfortunately we do not have any additional information at this time)
Thomas_Town_01.jpg
Thomas Town in 2010 at SFA

I have severe vegetarian

Postby CreditCrazy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:05 am

SFA really needs this, and I am glad they will get a Thomas Town, I'm just glad they're getting anything! But...

Are families really going to come to SFA after what they've seen and heard about the park before? I don't think this would make much a difference...it'll probably end up very empty, but that's just my guess.

Postby CoasterNERD502 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:15 am

Families always go to SFA. This is just going to keep them in the park longer. I think the crowds of SFA are mainly teen groups, then families with small children, then adults without any children at all. If you go to Looney Tunes Movie Town on any day, you'll see hundreds of kids running around getting on rides. And what do you mean
"Are families really going to come to SFA after what they've seen and heard about the park before?"

What have they heard or seen? I dont understand.

I'm very glad that SFA announced it so soon! And I'm very glad they are getting something new for 2010, even though I already knew that we were getting something next year. I guess I kind of ruined the surprise a couple pages back....
From page 65
They also told me that they are adding a new family ride next year where Two Face stands, and another new ride the year after that.

Whoops :roll:

I have severe vegetarian

Postby CreditCrazy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:36 am

CoasterNERD502 wrote:What have they heard or seen? I dont understand.

I can't exactly back this up, since I have never been to SFA, but from what I have heard, the park is not the best in the world.

A family goes to SFA. They don't have a lot to do compared to other parks. Like SFMM, it is focused more on thrill rides and not family rides. That is why Thomas Town will be good for the park. But after a family that had went there before Thomas Town comes, I'm sure that family didn't have a lot of fun. So what will make them come back? Thomas Town? Not enough. Plus, the park is in a bad area and gets a bad crowd, putting it even farther away from "family friendly".

Postby CoasterNERD502 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:21 pm

Its not in a bad area. Prince Georges County isnt the best area, but its certainly not bad. Everywhere you go you get the people that think there "bad" or think "they go hard" I guess, but they fakin'. PG is the richest African American county in the state and maybe the country, (somebody told me that before and I believe them, but I never researched it) so if you can afford a big house, and can afford to go to a good school ,you are CERTAINLY NOT BAD lol. But, you shouldnt go on what you've heard about the area/park if you've never been. I live here and work at SFA and I know have a different understanding of the area that you've never experienced. (I'm not trying to put you on the spot, or whatever, I'm just saying) Its not like they smacked SFA right down in the middle of Southeast, DC. Its in Bowie, MD. With a name like Bowie, you are deffinantly not bad lol.

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby fallen xxi » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:29 pm

^^ Have you been to SFA? Because if you have, then you've taken a different route to get there then me. Marlboro is a very nice upper middle class area with nice houses, shopping centers, and neighborhoods around it. The people within driving distance are a different story, but it's like that with any local park.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby ajinaz » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:49 pm

fallen xxi wrote: but it's like that with any local park.

I'm not real sure what you consider a local park. Because in my experience, most local parks are not "like that."
In my trips to SFA I found the atmosphere to be much different than most other parks. And not in a good way.
:roll:

Did the donkey fairy give me this title?

Postby cathyJ » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:38 am

CoasterNERD502 wrote:Its not in a bad area. Prince Georges County isnt the best area, but its certainly not bad. Everywhere you go you get the people that think there "bad" or think "they go hard" I guess, but they fakin'. PG is the richest African American county in the state and maybe the country, (somebody told me that before and I believe them, but I never researched it) so if you can afford a big house, and can afford to go to a good school ,you are CERTAINLY NOT BAD lol. But, you shouldnt go on what you've heard about the area/park if you've never been. I live here and work at SFA and I know have a different understanding of the area that you've never experienced. (I'm not trying to put you on the spot, or whatever, I'm just saying) Its not like they smacked SFA right down in the middle of Southeast, DC. Its in Bowie, MD. With a name like Bowie, you are deffinantly not bad lol.

while you are correct about PG County being the richest African American county in the state, I believe one big reason why so many people consider SFA and the like to be in a "bad area" can be traced back to the now defunct Capital Centre arena and the now defunct Landover Mall..both of which are close to SFA.

For years many of the old DC retail chains like Hechts for example claimed the mall said the surrounding region was "in a bad area". Hechts I believe Hechts even refused to fully stock that store with its upscale items because of that. of course on the flip side that mall did have problems with management so maybe that "its in a bad area" was just an excuse on the part of Hechts.

Then there was the Cap Center. Before MCI Center ( or whatever it is now ) was built, I remember watching DC TV about how so many people wanted a new arena to be built so they would "feel safe". However to my knowledge I don't recall anyone ever dying at the old Cap Centre. Fights? Drug Use? Sure..that has happened at ALL sports arenas at one time or another. But murders? People disappearing and were never seen again?
The rumors I remember hearing but did those actually happen? Doubt it.

Postby CoasterNERD502 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 4:53 am

Yeah I see where your going with that, but isnt the Cap Center or Verizon Center (MCI) in DC? Every large city has its share of problems. But SFA is aout 20 minutes outside of DC, so the area in a 5 mile range of the park is really nice. Right across the street from the park is a giant church and a retirement neighborhood, down the street to the left are many nice neighborhoods and elementary schools, to the right is two shopping centers that are also very nice.
So what I'm saying is that there are some nice places around the park, but SFA does get some of the "bad" people (they are all called guests to me, I don't discriminate on good or bad people lol). since the park is so close to some "bad" parts of DC. But honestly, I've seen a lot more fights on youtube from SFMM than SFA. I think I've never seen a fight on youtube from SFA. Also, does anyone call SFoG's area a bad area? Remember the kid that got jumped there? The worse we have at SFA is theft, but thats everywhere.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!