TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Scott's Coaster Closet

Hey Scott, excellent pictures as always. The Screechin' Eagle seems to have been a fun ride, it's a real shame it hasn't been relocated. I found a video that has some POV shots of the coaster, unfortunately not the entire ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome back to Scott's Coaster Closet!

Though we've been in winter-mode for the past few months, the weather is warming and it's time to fire up the Wayback Machine (aka WABAC) for a glimpse at what our adventurous ancestors did for a good time.

To kick off this edition, I scooped up a handful of vintage B&Ws from my collection and tossed them onto the scanner. There are several recognizable woodies here as well as a few mystery rides.

Enjoy!

-S

1957028502_SANGDipper.jpg.c8f378407bddbcedfb19ccf59d89e9f3.jpg

The San Diego Giant Dipper using the proper trains. I can only imagine how much better this classic would be if these were still in opeation.

1459456860_ConeyTornado.jpg.695528d428fc172792b70211c181dc53.jpg

A more detailed Tornado (Bobs) angle. Fred Church was an absolute genius.

1054569619_ConeyTornado2(LIFE).jpg.ba56319fdc6ea5a3eb923779952b8c2f.jpg

Coney's Tornado (Bobs). I missed riding this beauty by two years. :(

1358704632_RyePlaylandaerial1930s.jpg.201bbff0be557ca752d33300fe0a8bc4.jpg

Rye Playland. Check out that packed car park! Of course, that shot of the Airplane is the best.

2001886072_UNknowncoasterNAD(LIFE).jpg.a69c678f448fddd8cea808e68516530d.jpg

Another mystery ride. All I know is that it used early NAD rolling stock.

724285833_Unknowncoaster(LIFE).jpg.6435841faea56b32ddffc13aaee1aae8.jpg

Any idea where this one was? I'm guessing it's a typical John Miller ride. At first I thought it was Libertyland's Zippin Pippin (before the park was called that), but ...

2072675641_RiverviewBobs(life).jpg.f564ad99a9aec80d4db92f7381617e45.jpg

Train 3 on the Riverview Bobs.

941199293_OVRocket.jpg.70662963b0578f901a706d221843e63c.jpg

The Ocean View Rocket's early NAD trains.

Fireball.jpg.83583af259fbc0bdcf3a48443150ee4a.jpg

Riverview's Fireball. Park staff built these sweet trains. They are very similar to the Jetstream trains that operated on Carowinds' Thunder Road for the ride's initial seasons.

415810681_CenturyTurns.jpg.224fd9bc77d3d56085a7ad9d1b822e3b.jpg

Another, very similar Bartlett Flying Turns at Chicago's 1933 Century of Progress. This one went to Riverview and served as inspiration for Knoebels' FT, which will finally open in a few months.

812229589_FlyingTurnsNYWF(LIFE).thumb.jpg.297c7b76b9f7ea6eca027c3156f575ce.jpg

This is the Flying Turns when it was at the 1933-34 NY Worlds Fair. It was later moved to Coney Island as Bobsled.

Great photos Scott! It is good to see the closet back, I thought you had gone away like a bad sitcom. Thanks for sharing.

Now lets spark some healthy discussion about those great pictures of the flying turns, I sure wish I was old enough to have ridden one, they look like they would be nothing like todays versions. I hope that the Knoebel's creating captures the ride and feel of those older versions.

The Orbit looks absolutely terrifying...and painful.

I totally agree. Though I've sworn off most spinning flat rides, I can endure the Zipper for some reason. A Zipper can be great fun if operated properly, but I think the Orbit would be beyond horrific.

I'd love to hear from someone who rode it ...

The orbit was run slow, more like a sky wheel than a zipper.

Great photos Scott! It is good to see the closet back, I thought you had gone away like a bad sitcom. Thanks for sharing.

Now lets spark some healthy discussion about those great pictures of the flying turns, I sure wish I was old enough to have ridden one, they look like they would be nothing like todays versions. I hope that the Knoebel's creating captures the ride and feel of those older versions.

Yeah, Shane, The Closet has been down for winter retracking/profile tweaking and such, but it's back online.

Those are great FT pics. I'd like to dig up more on the Euro Turns in Denmark, Paris and Berlin. There's another thread on here about a FT mag NAAPHA recently produced. I have it and it IS quite excellent with info and pics we haven't seen before. I just wish some of the rarer shots could've been printed a wee bit larger. Still, check it out if you're a FT fan.

If any Euro members can research the Turns that operated over there, I'd LOVE to see some images. These were VERY popular rides. Additional photographic evidence MUST exist somewhere.

As for Knoebels Turns, I believe we'll finally be able to experience the new version within a few months. From what I've been told, it'll be worth the wait. The restructured team currently working on it has the expertise to make it work.

Rumor has it Fred Church haunts that tower next to Tornado (Bobs)

Who knows....??

EDIT: I actually found that out from one of my books I own... Was that yours? I saw the above comment saying that someone saw the pics from you book... LOL whoops.

There WAS a legend that LaMarcus Thompson haunted that ornate tower, despite having died six years before it was built.

The two pics from my books are the OV Rocket and COP Flying Turns shot.

Really stunning photos Scott. I love seeing old woodies in black and white. Thanks for sharing these and good to see you have shaken off the winter doldrums!

Thanks, Thriller. I've got a stack of postcards to add to your stellar thread, I just need to go through all yours so as not to post a dupe card.