Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Planet Snoopy is growing
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

NEWS: PKD's Italian Job Construction and Track Photos

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:56 am

Hey everyone,

Follow this link to check out the latest construction update for PKD! http://www.screamscape.com/html/paramou ... minion.htm

And here's a teaser of what you'll see:

--Robb

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby SFMM rocks my socks » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:29 pm

I think it is going to be the same as the other two.

6, 8 Who do we appreciate?!?!?!

Postby 24 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:39 pm

I hope they have one of those in every Paramount park.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby SonOfBeastSucks » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:57 pm

^ I don't. In fact I wish they would put a different coaster in PKD next year instaed of just another Italian Job.

White Castle fries only come in one size

Postby Bubba Z » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:12 pm

It's fun but not worth an hour plus line to get on. Maybe if they could make it longer it would be worth while. It seems this is the new boomerang or slc to install at every Paramount park.

Site Admin

NEWS: King's Dominion Announces Italian Job

Postby robbalvey » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:27 pm

While I think we've all known about this for a while, at least it's now "official"

Paramount's Kings Dominion Prepares to Premiere Thrilling Family Coaster in 2006

Paramount Pictures’ Blockbuster, The Italian Job Comes to Life at

MidAtlantic’s Favorite Theme Park

DOSWELL, Va.—Next spring, Paramount's Kings Dominion will debut its 13th exciting coaster complete with the thrills of a Hollywood blockbuster. With the addition of THE ITALIAN JOB STUNT COASTER, guests of all ages will experience a unique, fast-track coaster experience that brings to life one of the most thrilling movie chase sequences ever filmed in Hollywood.

Based on the high-action finale of Paramount Pictures’ The Italian Job (2003) starring Mark Wahlberg, Charlize Theron, Edward Norton, Seth Green, Mos Def, and Donald Sutherland, this exciting new coaster will take families on a high-speed stunt car adventure through movie sets and scenes inspired by the film’s climatic chase sequence.

From the moment they board their very own MINI Cooper S, park guests will immediately be surrounded by the sights, sounds and scenes of a Hollywood action movie. Asked to help “film” the final chase scene from the famous movie, THE ITALIAN JOB, riders quickly become stunt car drivers as their cars races out onto the track. Each MINI Cooper S is tricked out with audio special effects that add to the multi-sensory sensation of the experience, and as the custom stunt car MINIs peel out, everyone is transported into the stunt chase sequence. Drivers twist through a parking garage, dodge near-collisions, race down stairs, chase through tunnels and narrowly escape massive explosions triggered by gunfire from a menacing helicopter. Tires skid out one last time as the stunt cars crash through a billboard and splash down into an L.A. aqueduct concluding the chase sequence and their screen test trial as a stunt driver.

“THE ITALIAN JOB STUNT COASTER is the perfect complement to Paramount's Kings Dominion,” said Richard Zimmerman, executive vice president and general manager, Paramount's Kings Dominion. “Just like any great movie, this new coaster has surprise and suspense at every turn. The interactive experience totally immerses families into the thrills of the movie and they will want to ride it together again and again.”

THE ITALIAN JOB STUNT COASTER is scheduled to open at Paramount’s Kings Dominion in 2006.

Lights, camera, action – the ride experience recreates the six scenes of the climatic final chase sequence of the film:

Scene One Race through parking garage
Scene Two Fly down subway stairs
Scene Three Dodge police cars
Scene Four Screech to a halt and narrowly avoid gunfire from a
helicopter
Scene Five Chase through sewer tunnel
Scene Six Plunge through a billboard and into an LA aqueduct

THE ITALIAN JOB STUNT COASTER is a multiple LIM (linear induction motor) launch circuit coaster. Trains are propelled in the station with drive tires and in the launch and boost zones by linear induction motors.

Linear induction motors are propulsion units that are used where either high thrust or high speed propulsion is needed. Propulsion is achieved when currents are produced by the interaction of an electromagnetic field generated by the LIM and an aluminum reaction plate on the cars. The currents produced by this interaction create a magnetic field that opposes the original magnetic field, thereby producing a force vector between the LIM and the fin. This force vector provides thrust to move the train.

Drive tires are propulsion units that are used when train movement and braking or holding is needed in low speed. All drive tires are capable of forward and reversing motion.

From the cool coloring, to the vanity license plates, these MINIs are as detailed as the ones found at the dealer. And – to make sure they provide the right level of thrill, even the cars’ wheels were specifically selected for the rapid acceleration of the train. 1,000 stunt drivers per hour will ride their MINIs through the coolest coaster in the MidAtlantic!

1,960 feet of rail track making up a two minute experience – the coolest ride in a MINI Cooper S ever. The MINIs climb to a height of 45.2 feet and the total stunt track elevation climbs higher to 53.3 feet of thrills. Beware of the 31.2 feet drop that takes place when you least expect it!

The ride catapults guests using linear induction motors at rapid speeds up to 40 mph. With the three peels out, and an 88 degree banked turn, these MINIs will earn guests a speeding ticket if they are not careful.

Each car is enhanced with surround-sound speakers, providing stunt car drivers with the ride of their life. From engine revving to the sound of squealing tires, guests will be totally immersed in the action.

MANUFACTURER: Premier Rides, Inc.
job1.jpg
Italian Job Coming to PKD in 2006!
job2.jpg
And here's the logo for 'ya!
Last edited by robbalvey on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:38 pm.

Giggity, Giggity, Giggity!

Postby TwistedTrack » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:35 pm

hmmm... i visit PKD once or twice a year. do you know where it will be located

Desperate Housewife Who Wants to Live in THIS Castle!

Postby disneygurlz2s » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:35 pm

It all seems so familiar.................... Hmmm..............

Shari

Ruler of all Intamin rides

Postby MSLSM » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:36 pm

Yay another clone.

I wonder how this coaster will do. I know it is a "family coaster" but PKD has four family coasters. The park also has several faster launched coasters. I just do not think the park could have built a better coaster such as a flyer or a more intense coaster instead of a tame launched coaster
Last edited by MSLSM on Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:38 pm.

Gimme Some Candy!

Postby coasterfreak101 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:37 pm

So do we know if this one will be the same as the other IJ:STs? All I hear is bad things about the others, how boring they are and everything! They don't look boring, but I've heard thaty they are.....A LOT!!! Have you been on one, or have footage of one? Iv'e never really seen it in action!
1. Skyrush | 2. Maverick | 3. The Voyage | 4. El Toro | 5. Outlaw Run
6. Millennium Force | 7. I-305 | 8. Medusa: SC | 9. X2 | 10. Phoenix

Coasters: 290
Parks: 51

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!