TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain Terminator Salvation: The Ride

robbalvey

Maybe we can start calling this ride "Terminator Salivation" because my chops are dripping...

Seriously, this ride is coming together very nicely and in no time we'll be seeing those Millennium Flyers racing around the course. Not a lot of tall drops, but some low to the ground turns and airtime are going to put this ride into the top five at the park.

Eric

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great Jahan, thanks for the update! I know the concrete slab is more cost efficient and is easier for construction, but is anything going to happen to it to make it look better? I know Six Flags likes to put rides over parking lots, but maybe they've moved past that and are ready to make rides look good. Coaster looks awesome, a big ole' concrete slab does not.

^ Understood, but I'm pretty sure that while you're riding, the concrete slab below is the last thing you'll notice. Mainly because the dense wooden structure will hide it as opposed to Scream!'s minimal steel structure and the fact that you're high enough to see it all.

And I forgot to say thanks to Jahan for the update. Diana and I are possibly going to get out there over the weekend so she can pick up her season pass booklet. Of course that depends on work and weather.

Eric

^I'm not a huge fan of concrete either, but if it means that the ride integrity will hold up better than Psyclone after the next earthquake, then I'm all for it.

Great pics, thanks for the update, Jahan.

Maybe we can start calling this ride "Terminator Salivation" because my chops are dripping...

Well said. I need mop and a bucket over here!

Looking at the new park map, it will be interesting to see how they handle the ride's queue and exit paths. From the planned layout on the map compared to the aerial photos, it does not look like they have much room around the ride to accommodate for the paths. Looks like we might see the path go right next to Deja Vu and replace the last remaining trees dividing the rides. Another thing that caught my attention is the bathroom next to where the shooting gallery was, is not shown on the new park map. The entrance spans to the Cold Stone building on that side on the map. The bathroom looks very rundown from the pictures, and maybe they will demolish that too as construction on the entrance begins later this spring. Just a thought that they might be holding off on the demolition of the bathroom so they can get the most use out of it until they start work on the entrance itself.

It is a pretty old and gross bathroom. I could see it being taken out, but then again with a new ride in the area, the section will be more popular and need one. It is the only one in the area, I think the next closest one is...uh, far. Very far away.

From where the line appears to enter the coaster site, I think there will be more than enough room for queing. It seems to me that, very much in the same way that Batman's line is laid out, there will be a ton of walking to be had from the midway to the actual station. Never mind the fact that there seems to be a ton of open space on the 'slab' for some switchbacks.

Should it overflow, there are not really any other major attractions in the area so I don't even see that being a problem either. If it goes out to (map) left, its quite a ways from Deja Vu. If it goes out to (map) right, it has space to go allllll the way over to the go karts which is quite a distance also.

Chris.

I know the concrete slab is more cost efficient and is easier for construction, but is anything going to happen to it to make it look better?

Just think of it as authentic theming. A wooden coaster named Terminator is already far fetched enough, but it being built on concrete makes it a little more Terminator-ish...I guess? Take out the concrete and put in grass and trees, and then it wouldn't go with the name at all.

^ From what I can gather, the lift will be toward the back left side of the ride (that's as viewed from the Sky Tower). It will rise toward the south (left, again from the tower), and the trains will make a left turn off of the top and into the first drop. That's about all I know about the layout.

Eric

Here's the link to the "proposed" layout of Terminator. It's also at the front of the topic (literally, first post), but that's a long way to go, so here it is again:

*Note: This is not the improved POV, this is the original linked from the Six Flags website.*

http://www.themeparkreview.com/parks/photo.php?pageid=23&linkid=4166

The lift will begin in approximately the center of the ride and extend towards the southwest corner of the park.

Check out the aerial photo on page 78. Notice the crane in the center of the photo. That is about where the lift will begin. The turn at the top of the lift and before the first drop will be in the left-most section of the ride's footprint. It is a tight left turn that is more than 180*. That means the first drop, low transition to the "deadman hill" as well as the low track that follows the deadman hill all cut through the lift structure.

The newly constructed turn in that photo (between the deadman hill and the low turn on the far right) is the last turn on the ride and leads into the final brake run.

February 15th, 2009 Update!

Here is the Aerial view as seen by the Cyberdyne HK Drone (aka Sky Tower View)

Looks like this turn is fairly complete and ready for some track!

Here you can see the dead man turn...not too many Popsicle sticks left laying around now!

Remember when that whole back area was filled with Popsicle sticks just a few short weeks ago?

Mr. Big Crane is lifting another bent into place.

It's cool to see how they are working on two sections of the ride at once!

I see some steel has been put into place for some of the cross overs.

How about a nice closeup of that overpass?

Another look at the Dead Mans Party Turn, Deja Vu featuring DJ Jazzy Jeff and some fresh paint, and a little cameo by Mr. Big Crane.

You're looking at the future Terminator Salvation: The Ride entrance! I like the little make-shift bridge they've got going on!

From the midway, Terminator is really taking shape!

Each week the wood seems to get more and more dense.

Terminator only went vertical just under 1 month ago and look how much is already done!

Cyberdyne Systems crew is inspecting the ride.

There's that new brand spanking new bent going into place!

I have a feeling there will be a pop of airtime here!

The Dead Mans Party turn almost looks bigger than Deja Vu!

Looks like that alien transmitter has been covered in wood! Those Cyberdyne drones know how to disguise themselves!

Two giant curves!

Even on a Sunday these guys are still going at it.

Terminator Salvation: The Ride, a yellow thing, a red thing, and a silver box.

This area is going to look so much better with a GOOD woodie behind it!

"It's a dead mans party...who could ask for more..."

Another view of wooden sticks.

Mr. Small Crane is still hanging around.

But Mr. Big Crane is the center of attention today!

I really, REALLY hope they get rid of the "Cyclone Bay" signs!!! Anyway, that's today's update! Hope you've enjoyed it. We will have more next week!

--Robb