TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review's 2008 Asia Tour!

It was already bad enough having to listen to someone tell us a story about a snake biting a lady when we all know those kind of snakes do not bite people (Hi Dave)

Hmmm... I thought we were listening intently to stories about somebody's girlfriend...

And, yes, Fuji-Q is just as awful as everyone is saying. I have NEVER seen such horrible operations. The beer wasn't even good.

But, the evening of beer and meat certainly made up for it. (but Fuji-Q can still DIE a horrible painful death)

-- Dave

• Replies 863
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst thing is that I've still not managed to ride Fujiyama despite three visits to the sodding place, so I'm going to have to visit on my next Japan trip. Fortunately I have an exit pass from when it broke down on my last visit... I wonder if they'll still take it

It's partly credit whoring -- I only need six more credits out of the one hundred tallest steel coasters in the world, and it's the only one in the top ten -- but it's more a determination to ride what was for several years the tallest full circuit coaster in the world.

It really is a shame, on paper is a dream park. Amazing location with one of the world's top landmarks directly in view. Unique high-profile rides. Would have loved to have gone in and gone on the rides, but just taking pictures from outside for five minutes it very clear just have awful the operations were.

Oh well.

That is a park that needs fast pass or some form of vip pass.

I was there at the end of June. The height of the rainy season.

It was wet all day but they kept running everything (except Dodonpa, which I rode at the very start of the day). It also wasn't very busy, the longest lines were never more than 30 minutes (even with single train op).

You guys must be really unlucky. Although I did see that operations could have been horrible if the park was any busier... it took forever to load and check trains, nothing closed down for good because of the weather.

My partner and I were in Japan in May 2008 had the same thing with weird loading here a couple!

Evening in La qua: I rode thunder dolphin , despite a 30 min queue was ushered to the front of the line and made to sit at the rear of the train, sat there for five mins then they dispatched it with only me on it! lol

Hep 5 Observation wheel Osaka - during a typhoon warning , they left a queue of schoolkids waiting and sent me and Ian off round on our own for 3 circuits in howling wind and rain!

Universal Japan - Hollywood dream, we had fastpass ticket and again they loaded us first (bearing in mind this was ians first coaster and he had never ridden anything more than the dodgems at oxford fair!) sat us right at the back then loaded the rest of the peeps.

Universal Japan- Jurassic park- again they sat us in the rear of the train half full with an hour queue!

All a bit weird! - Thunder dolphin was a weird experience on your own! Crowds of japanese on a night out watching some Brit poof shoot round the track screaming! lol

A great country but weird ride ops! lol

Cj

x

You guys must be really unlucky. Although I did see that operations could have been horrible if the park was any busier... it took forever to load and check trains, nothing closed down for good because of the weather.

I don't know why people who have been to the park *once* keep saying how we are "unlucky" about our visits. We have been there multiple times over several years and seen the EXACT same horrible operations each visit.

Seems to me that either these one-off experiences were the "lucky" ones or maybe some people just have a higher tolerance for poor park operations.

It just seems odd to me that the people who have been to the park many times seem to tell the same story we do, but people who have only been there once seem to love it and had the best time ever.

Just sounds a bit fishy to me....

--Robb

I don't know why people who have been to the park *once* keep saying how we are "unlucky" about our visits. We have been there multiple times over several years and seen the EXACT same horrible operations each visit.

Seems to me that either these one-off experiences were the "lucky" ones or maybe some people just have a higher tolerance for poor park operations.

It just seems odd to me that the people who have been to the park many times seem to tell the same story we do, but people who have only been there once seem to love it and had the best time ever.

Just sounds a bit fishy to me....

--Robb

Yeah, I totally agree. My two visits to the park and I was turned away (with both times waiting over 2 hours) from Dodonpa. There's absolutely no excuse for the complete lack of empathy for their guests. Sure, it's Japan where folks don't complain like they do in America, but Fuji-Q is truly run like they intentionally want to make sure you will not be able to do all the big rides in a single visit.

Actually, I think that's exactly how the park is run... and in a horribly twisted way... they may be on to something. The park is consistently a mob-scene. No matter when you go, even a weekday in the middle of exams week, it's crowded. Because of the unique 'line-culture' of Japan (which isn't exaggerated at all) some sadistic and evil japanese businessman probably observed this, calculated the savings in operations and maintenance by the running the park as badly as they do, and because of their high-profile rides and the desire for people to ride them, created his own endlessly replenishing 'huge lines everywhere wow' cash machine.

There's simply no other reason for the park to be

1) so damn popular

2) run inefficient in the most efficient culture in the world

Totally legitimate operations gripes aside, the park (including the much mentioned Haunted Hospital) has 5 OUTSTANDING completely original walkthroughs/experiences. The coffin show thing has the most OMFG!! moment of any theme park attraction in the world (if you don't know it's going to happen) and all the walkthroughs, from the crazy-cute Katamari Damacy-like Lucca Town, to the hilarious and incredibly fun 'hidden treasure' walkthrough/experience to the AMAZING thomas dark ride with it's ROTATING SWITCH tracks... to the GUNDAM ride... even the REALLY interesting architecture museum (to the right of Dodonpa... it's easily missed) this park frustratingly has some of the best theme park experiences I've ever had in all my travels. There's even an awesome binaural sound haunted experience which is so 'wtf', I couldn't stop laughing. I also liked their terrific flat ride collections, with the Santa Clara Great America "Octopus" clone being especially nostalgia masturbatory, and their adorable 'mini log flume' in thomas land being the only one of it's kind I can think of in a theme park.

For haunted house/walkthrough/interactive f*d up experience junkies, this place is your DisneySea. Seriously. If you go to this park just after opening (when everyone rushes to the big attractions) and head straight to the haunted walkthrough.. it's a walk-on (and remains so for the first two hours)... also all the other amazing walkthroughs, dark rides, and such are practically empty since everyone is trying to go on the three big coasters or the retarded raft ride. If you go to the park without your heart set on the big rides, just sticking to the amazing experience ones, you'll probably have a great time and not have the frustrating experience like so many others have had (myself included).

It's so frustrating that I still haven't been on those big ones despite my two visits, but even more frustrating that I'm sure I'll be back, just because the third time is the charm, and know even if I don't get to go on Dodonpa yet again, those walkthroughs are absolutely the best of their kind in the world.

The worst thing is that I've still not managed to ride Fujiyama despite three visits to the sodding place, so I'm going to have to visit on my next Japan trip. Fortunately I have an exit pass from when it broke down on my last visit... I wonder if they'll still take it

As someone who has actually tried just this, let me just crush your dreams now: the operator actually laughed at me at called me "baka" for even suggesting such a thing. The indifference they treat their guests with is just further proof that the operations are in fact intentional, and is the hype that keeps the place packed.

Watching the video and reading through these reviews have totally turned me off ever wanting to go there.. The rides arent even that great. Not worth waiting 2-3 hours for. And that haunted house thing that goes for 40 minutes.. Thats just stupid. You would almost have to plan a day trip just for that if the ques are 4-5 hours for it. Haha. Terrible park..

It's a shame Fuji-Q is so bad. I remember being a bit younger and reading the Guinness World Records and thinking Dodonpa looked awesome. I always liked the sound of the haunted hospital, too. Four hour wait, though? That's pretty shocking.

Fuji Q should build a ride called "The Line Ride". Where you wait 5 hours for nothing.

Genius, pure genius.

The ACE/ECC group that hit Japan in 2005 saw Fujiyama break down that day, and we subsequently received a very nice e-mail from the Park Director apologising for what happened.

I can only assume that this person is no longer in charge...

I was on the train that broke down and had to be evacuated from the lift hill. Probably the best experience I have had at the 2 times I have been to Fuji-Q.

We did get taken to the front of the line to ride Dodonpa which was a 90 minute wait by the time we got off Fujiyama and were given a front of line pass to Fujiyama if it was going to run later in the day which it didn't.

We were able to talk them into using that pass to ride Dodonpa later in the day before we left.

So what is the deal with the Shuttle Loop? I am getting concerned that this ride is down for the count. I visited this park after our Japan trip and it was also down then and looked like it had been for some time.

When we were there in 2007 we were told that the ride only operated in the afternoons...?

Seriously, I don't understand why you people continue to visit that park.

As someone who has actually tried just this, let me just crush your dreams now: the operator actually laughed at me at called me "baka" for even suggesting such a thing. The indifference they treat their guests with is just further proof that the operations are in fact intentional, and is the hype that keeps the place packed.

I only received a raincheck once, and they allowed me to use it on a later visit without any problem. This despite the fact that I am myself rather on the "baka" side of things (evidenced by my poor choice in employers and the precipitous drop in my income over the last three years).

Seriously, I don't understand why you people continue to visit that park.

You cannot argue that if someone is a coaster enthusiast and going to Japan for the first time, you kind of *have* to hit Fuji-Q no matter how much it sucks at least *try* to get some credits in.

If I wasn't taking tours of people to Japan, I wouldn't go. On the trips to Japan we made on our own, I don't go anywhere near that place. I visit Japan because I think it is the most amazing country with the best culture in the world and Fuji-Q is the polar opposite of everything I love about Japan.

And even though I forewarn our groups of how terrible the park is, the past two trips have proven to be WORSE than we warned people about.

The park and their operations speak for themselves. If the place didn't suck, you wouldn't have so many people not connected with each other or each others visits share the exact same story.

I'd say for every 20 horrific visit stories I hear one good one. And my experience so far has been three strikes. And that really speaks volumes to me.

--Robb

I think it's safe to say, that F-Q could be called the Ultimate Negative Endurance Theme Park in the world of Theme Park Review?

Meaning, it has credits to get, some definite stuff there in terms of non-coaster stuff, lol. But it's a real test for most of us who go (or have gone) there.

Just a question.

Agree with you Rob.

On my only trip to Japan i experienced excellent service & to the minute transport everyday .....except when i visited Fuji Q.

I actually like the park & its coasters, but Fuji Queue it is.

Anyhow i queued 3 hours at the end of the day for a 3rd ride on Eejanaika, risking missing the scheduled return bus, but i had a feeling from my day it would be late & it was ...40 mins.

It summed up my anti-Japanese culture day experience.

Next Stop on the TPR Tokyo Tour...Hanayashiki!!!

This is one bizarre, but AWESOME park! It's smack in the middle of the city (in the Asuska area) with some amazing looking temples and street markets surrounding it.

The park itself houses the "Oldest coaster in Japan" as well as some other cool, messed up, awesome attractions. It's one of those little "gem" parks where you have to try to see and do everything!

We must now look at photos...

Here we are arriving at Hanayashiki...looks innocent from the front, right? This park was amazing! It was like the Bon Bon Land or Klotten of Japan!

Pretty gardens, looks good so far!

First up was the "Roller Coaster", and this one is the oldest in Japan built in 1953.

TPR Gang is ready to roll!

The park manager tells us these trains are brand spankin' new! And they look it!

Although they aren't kind to long legs!

It's ok Dave, I'm sure you've been in rougher positions!

Here is what the oldest coaster in Japan looks like!

In very much the "Blackpool fashion" you can see how the rides and shops are built on different levels to help save space.

Japanese Fun Fun Ride!

The park is plopped right down in the middle of the city! (I just really wanted to use the word 'plop')

Here we have a look at the rest of the park. Yes it's small, but it's some quirky awesome fun!

First drop! Can you guys take it?

The faces of joy!

Yay for the oldest Japanese coaster tunnels!

It almost looks like you're going right under someone's house!

On one side of the street, some random buildings, on the other side, Japan's oldest coaster!

"We love the ride....but we can't feel our legs!"

Still nowhere near as old as Jeff Johnson!

Religious experience on the Space Shot or bowel movement...you decide!

"Ok, quick...everyone do your best 'scanners' impression!"

The rotating house was a bit...um.... "cozy?"

Next up was the "Sit around the table in the dark and listen to weird stuff being pumped into your ears" attraction.

The camera flash reveals that in the dark, we all make really dorky faces!

"Hello, I'm the funny blue troll monster. Please come inside my maze torture and insanity."

But first, RANDOM BOOBS!!!

The maze of wackiness including passages made for Oompa Loompas and random hanging foliage.

That's a lot of rusty steps!

MUST! GRAB! BOOOOOOOB!

"I'd say she's at least a D-Cup."

"GRRR!!!! I'm ANGRY lion guy...GIMME SOME CANDY!"

Like I said, Dave has been in worst positions!

PUSH...DAVE! PUSH!!!!

OMG! Now there are two of those hideous creatures!

Um...what...is.....THIS?

OMG! OMG! OMFG!!! WHAT IS HAPPENING?!?!?

PEE CAM!!!!

I think it makes sense to transition from little boy fairy peeing on passers by to the crepe lady...yeah.

Ok, forget the crepe and the lady...I WANT YOUR DOMOKUN!!!!

"I'm CRRRAAAAZZZZZY EVIL MCP LOOKING DARK RIDE HEAD...GIMMME SOME AMERICANS!"

Yo lady statue, wassup?

Not even sure what to say here.

It's one of them rock-n-roller rides...in the shape of outer space!

"You know what goes good with a wacky park like this? BEER!"

Just outside the park are some awesome Japanese buildings.

Japanese temple-looking thing..CHECK!

And a HUGE street market is here also. The whole area was awesome!

Cube fans, rejoice!

The entrance to the market.

Godzilla Sperm?

Dear Hanayashiki! TPR says "THANK YOU" for having one of the most awesome bizarre parks in the world! (And special thank you to Takashi for helping us out!)