TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mark's Postcard Paradise

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colossus, you say?

Shane, it looks like yours is one of the rare post cards showing Colossus actually racing. I have no idea of the date of my card (the cars/vans/campers might be a clue), but it shows a five car PTC train, where yours has racing four car trains.

This coaster debuted with IAD trains, right? Way back in 1978?

edit: are these the original IAD trains, not PTC?

colossus1b.thumb.jpg.fd3e1eeed6b3ca5ca6af30549d97555d.jpg

colossus1.jpg.1f911692db8870487fbe653722e9bcce.jpg

This coaster debuted with IAD trains, right? Way back in 1978?

edit: are these the original IAD trains, not PTC?

Great Colossus cards, guys! I regret never riding those original IAD trains. The lap bars look a LOT like what Schwarzkopf used on his loopers.

And of course, there was that wicked speed bump after the second drop ...

^ That's an amazing postcard to have there!

And even more amazing how little of an address (and postage) one needed, to get the card to the recipient, LOL!

Maybe it's still only .01 if you send a postcard anonymously, with no message or zip code... I'll send all my postcards that way this summer and save a bundle!

Seriously though, I can't believe this card went through the postal system and is still in such excellent condition. Must have been a very different system 100 years ago.

Amazing card restoca!

According to a reliable friend of mine who lives in the area (Hi James), that is the Scenic Railway from White City in Shrewsbury (i.e. Worcester) as listed on RCDB.

Thanks, Mark, for filling in some blanks. I know that there were probably hundreds of parks called White City, but didn't know about Shrewsbury/Worcester being one place. RCDB has little more than the coaster's location and that it's wooden. No dates, etc.

I have another card from the same park, different woodie, must be the Zip. Will be posted here, of course. In the meantime, here's another blast from Mass. past.

lightening2b.jpg.677c2a95004720cd09f14877f4604184.jpg

postmark Aug 6, 1928

lightening1.jpg.e5bb9f7762017a30b45ba9d26dbe3d27.jpg

Traver - operated 1927 to 1933

Shane you're probably elated to know I don't have anymore Colossus postcards with awful logos...in fact I think that's the only one in my whole collection. I really must change that someday when I can ever get back out to Cali.

^^ I'm always amazed people wore those kinds of clothes to parks in the early 1900's. Then again we saw more than quite a few Japanese people dressed up in the parks in Japan. Girls rockin' stilettos and all!

That view of Colossus brings to mind a certain Chris De Burgh song. Sexy!

Don't Pay the Ferryman?

Moonlight and Vodka?

Lebanese Night?

The Revolution?

sorry, I couldn't resist...

Here's another one. From 1979.

colossus3bb.jpg.dc15d9021e10ed4e70ec6b012b1cb430.jpg

detail of back showing tiny date

colossus3b.jpg.e42ea5eb734fabd2b2f973276b512308.jpg

colossus3.jpg.7c47eeb6572ac9d408aa31c6a634b4e3.jpg

something for the specs nerds (some no longer applicable)

Don't know the date of this card, but this coasterwas relocated from Paragon Park in 1986 to what is now now Six Flags America. This park was called Wild World through its 1993 season.

A forum member in another thread is looking for photos of this ride prior to its 1932 reconfiguration due to fire.

paragon3b.jpg.243a7c1c6b5ee525378c41159dc580a1.jpg

paragon3.thumb.jpg.d7c6dbc1ad624d2f9a0fd5b0c4428cf4.jpg

^ Classic postcard restoca! Alas it's one of the few John Miller designed woodies still operating. I rank this at #31 on Mitch's poll, and really I would rank it a good bit higher had my visit to SFA in 2005 been better. EXTREMELY lackadaisical ride ops can definitely kill a good coaster vibe for me, but this coaster was fun, and one can only imagine how amazing the back turn was before reprofiling!