Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

P. 261: Strange activity at The Time Machine/Led Zeppelin
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
token black guy

Postby jarmor » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:06 am

i know in columbia some car places are doing 2 cars for one...too bad the jag dealership hasn't jumped on the bandwagon!
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Well, it looks like the story of Hard Rock Park has now ended according to Discovery Myrtle Beach:
http://discovermyrtlebeachforum.com/ind ... topic=1782

This is a sad story to report. Hard Rock Park has filed for Chapter 7 bankruptcy. Attorneys for the park asked the Delaware bankruptcy court to alter its bankruptcy fomr Chapter 11 to Chapter 7, which would appoint a trustee to the property and liquidate all its assests.

"Despite considerable effort ... the debtors were unable to consummate a sale of all, or substantially all, of their assets on terms and conditions acceptable to the debtors, the [creditors] committee, and the lenders within sufficient time to permit an orderly conclusion of these cases under chapter 11, given the considerable constraints on, and ultimate availability of, postpetition financing," the filing states. "Because the bid and sale process has been unsuccessful thus far, there exists no reasonable prospect of success in the immediate future. ... Regrettably, conversion of their chapter 11 bankruptcy cases to cases under chapter 7 of the bankruptcy code thus appears to be the only remaining means of allowing the debtors' assets to be liquidated and potential causes of action to be pursued and monetized for the benefit of creditors

In financial documents, the park shows a it made just $21.5 million dollars between April 2008 - September 2008 an owes almost $300 million. The odds of most creditors (including Discover Myrtle Beach) to receive any money from the liquidation stands about a 0% chance.

Hard Rock International, who licensed the 'Hard Rock' name to HRP Operations said in a court filed that the park damaged its reputation and did not live up to its agreement to thoroughly advertise and market the park.

"The park is not known as a destination of choice in Myrtle Beach, but is widely associated, as reported in the state and local news, with financial problems that have negatively impacted operations," the company said in the documents dated Dec. 23. "Hard Rock [trademarks] have been, and continue to be, harmed by the [park's] conduct."

Hard Rock International is also asking a judge to turn over memorabilia loaned to the park, such as the Magical Mystery Tour bus.

Now that the park is official finished, we'll be doing a series of articles detailing the park from our perspective.

More to come...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Airtime&Gravity » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:49 pm

I'm not surprised given that no one even bid on the park. Hopefully the rides find new homes, and hopefully whoever buys Life in the Fast Lane can actually theme it. I'm also curious to see who buys Maximum RPM since it had so many mechanical problems.

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:55 pm

Very sad... I feel bad for Hard Rock International - Most people don't know that they only licensed the name to the park.

I was hoping someone would come in and pick the park up for a second chance but that would have been shy of a miracle.

RIP HRP.

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby King_K. » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:58 pm

I figured no one would shell out the money to buy the park whole. I guess next time they should plan to build a theme park in places where they can actually make money, like Orlando, Ohio, or Cali and not on top of former entertainment venues that failed.

Better luck next time. :roll:

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby holyblakbelt » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:02 pm

Another victim of the economy. The park never really hit the ground running. They tried to make it into a decent park, but in the end, another one hit the dust.
Hanowski for Hobey 2012-13!

Randomness

Postby coasterdude5 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:06 pm

^ I don't think the economy was that big of a factor in the failure of the park. I think location and advertising played a more vital role.

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby DRACHEN_FIRE_FAN-BOY » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:07 pm

holyblakbelt wrote:Another victim of the economy. The park never really hit the ground running. They tried to make it into a decent park, but in the end, another one hit the dust.

Yeah it's sad, but then again they should have known to NOT open the park due to the shape of the economy. and it's not like the park was in the best location of South Carolina

I wonder where the coasters are gonna go.....

Fabulously FIERCE!

Postby DenDen » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:08 pm

holyblakbelt wrote:Another victim of the economy. The park never really hit the ground running. They tried to make it into a decent park, but in the end, another one hit the dust.

I kinda disagree. If the economy was good, I still think it would have failed. Looks to me that from all the negative comments, trip reports, pictures, etc... about the park, it just didn't have what it took to stay open. The concept was good, they just didn't do it very well. Which just goes to prove that a B&M is not a gauranteed success. :)
"To the floor! The only thing that will hold you up when nobody else will!"

Thought "Laser Snake Horse" was real.

Postby Speeddeamon128 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:11 pm

That is a shame that a brand new theme park did not even last two seasons. I actually had a fun time there. Here are the two trips I had at Hard Rock.

YouTube Videolink

YouTube Videolink
2010 Coaster Laps: 342
-Behemoth/Ravine Flyer II Tour 2008, East Coast Tour 2008, West Coast Tour 2009

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!