Mark's Postcard Paradise

A-Z - Disney's MAGIC KINGDOM 1970's-80's
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:13 pm

I believe WOF does still have their Monster ride, or at least they did back in 2006 when I rode it. The one at AstroWorld sounds like it was amazing and intense! By the way, great card with Glissade!

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:16 am

Cedar Point still has one and doesn't Kings Island still have one also?
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby restoca » Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:11 pm

Here's a turkey of a postcard, only because the object of my affection is in the distance and obscured by a building. This, of course, being the Crystal Beach Cyclone. Despite the caption on the card, I don't think the park's Giant Coaster can be seen in this photo. Without a postmark I'm not sure of the date of this card, but the Cyclone operated from 1926 through the 1946 season.
crystalbeach1.jpg
crystalbeach1b.jpg

Postby thrillerman1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:40 am

^ Mmmm turkey!

Here's another Eyerly Monster ride, Oriental Octopus, when it was located in the Oriental section at Worlds of Fun. In the mid-80's, it was moved to the Aerodrome section as Tail-Spinner, then removed from the park in 1996, and finally reinstalled in the Scandinavia section in 1998 where it thankfully lives on today.
Oriental Octopus - Front_800x495.jpg
What are those things floating by in the sky?
Oriental Octopus - Back_800x523.jpg

Postby restoca » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Nice card, Mark. Does this show the site that Bamboozler (Round-Up) now occupies? Was the Aerodrome the same area later called "Pandamonium"? My first visit to WOF was in 1989 and I found their monster ride, then called Octopus, painted about five colors and smack in the middle of all their kiddie rides.

[Let me apologize for posting a photo in the postcard thread, but this was a unique look for a monster ride.]
WOFhenry.jpg
summer 1989

Postby thrillerman1 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:18 pm

^ That is certainly the most colorful Monster ride I've ever seen. I did a little digging around on the unofficial WOF website, and I believe the answer is yes to both of your questions. That picture must have been taken when it was themed to Tail-Spinner and was part of the Aerodrome section. Too bad I never got to visit the park back then!

Postby montezooma » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:46 am

The Electric Rainbow used to be a beautifully painted and lit thrill ride at Magic Mountain, since its re-theme is looks old and worn down. I know that is supposed to be the theme, but I think the theme ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings a little to true on this ride...old and worn down.

I remember riding Electric Rainbow as a kid and I could swear that the ride went completely sideways...now it only goes about 45 degrees. Does anyone else remember that or am I remembering wrong?
sfmm excitement b.jpg
sfmm thrills b.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Postby montezooma » Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:54 am

Here are some more past rides from Magic Mountain. Notice in this postcard that of the 6 rides shown, 4 have been removed. Magic Mountain needs some more flats...cough, land of the giants, cough
sfmm thrills a.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Postby restoca » Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:46 pm

Here's the monster ride that was an original attraction of the Oriental Corner section of AstroWorld, seen here from the neighboring Plaza de Fiesta section. Not a great photo of the monster ride, but Astrowheel is seen in the distance. And if you'll notice in the foreground, even back in 1968 AstroWorld's employees were diligently attending to their duties...
blackdragon1.jpg
blackdragon1b.jpg

Postby montezooma » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:54 pm

^ I love that postcard. It may be one of my most favorite on this thread. I love to see stuff from AstroWorld, the older the better. Am I the only one that is still BITTER over the closing of this park????

Here is my contribution for the day. Just last year that was a typical postcard, nothing really anything special...well now it is a collectors item.

RIP - Back to the Future: the ride
future a.jpg
future b.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!