Mark's Postcard Paradise

A-Z - Disney's MAGIC KINGDOM 1970's-80's
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:28 am

To kick off my IAAPA re-cap update over at Shane's Amusement Attic I thought I would post this post card from GCI that they were passing out at the show.

Check all kinds of Product Portfolios from industry manufacturers like Intamin, S&S Power, Huss and more...all this week
gci a.jpg
gci b.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

Postby montezooma » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:26 am

Here is a random post card, no theme just Cedar Point...1992
cp1a.jpg
cp1b.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

No longer TPR's Rock Band expert!

Postby thrillgeek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:53 pm

^^A friend and I were just talking about GCI today. The Millennium Flyer trains sure changed how wooden coasters roll along the track. Well...not really but it sure is more comfortable.

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:11 pm

^^ That Cedar Point card, to me, is everything a park card should be. For a very low cost, a person gets to take home a picture memory of all the big rides. A fantastic card and thanks for sharing it.

Postby montezooma » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:55 pm

^ If you loved that one, then you should love this one. It shows all of Six Flags over Georgia's goodness back in the 1970's
SFOG A.jpg
I miss Mo-Mo
SFOG B.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby monsterfan99 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:48 pm

montezooma wrote:^ If you loved that one, then you should love this one. It shows all of Six Flags over Georgia's goodness back in the 1970's

Great card as well. I love the older ones that show every thing in the park, give a great sense of what a day there was like. I've got an old card for the Python at Busch Gardens from the 80's I need to scan in this weekend for here.

I Love Donkeys!

Postby kitsch transporter » Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:09 am

restoca wrote:More from Germany! Loopless and mysterious, this Schwarzkopf creation has always fascinated me. Can't find it on rcdb. Did it also operate under a different name? And where is it now?

"Himalaya Bahn" opened in 1983 (afaik) and is still touring the German fairs. In fact, after "Eurostar" has gone, it is the only big travelling coaster in Germany next to "Olympia Looping".

The owner decided that he had to offer a big coaster for people who were not interested in loops, which were all the rage back then. The ride premiered after the Schwarzkopf double loops and one year before the amazing "Dreier Looping".

The first drop is really intense for a family coaster and the the parabolic second hill offers wonderful airtime. There are some great laterals and heavy Gs. You can still feel that Stengel designed this before CAD took over.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:54 am

^^^ Shane I miss Mo Mo too. Man that ride sure did get moved around in the park a lot. I remember it being in the USA section the first time I went to SFOG, and then the next time I went it was over in the Cotton States at the end of the GASM midway where Skull Island is now. Those Eyerly Monster rides sure are rare now.

^^ YES monsterfan99 please share with us that Python card!

^ kitsch transporter...Great info on the Himalaya Bahn. Must get to the German fairs one day!

Yummy! I just ate donkey!

Postby SeaWhippet » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:33 am

restoca wrote:More from Germany! Loopless and mysterious, this Schwarzkopf creation has always fascinated me. Can't find it on rcdb. Did it also operate under a different name? And where is it now?

Himalaya Bahn (now called Alpina Bahn) is an EXCELLENT ride. In fact, I'd rather ride it than Olympia when they play the same fairs.

FYI, Himalaya was slated to join its twisted cousin, Wiener Looping, at Florida's Circus World when WL made its first trip across the Atlantic. Sadly, the deal fell through and only WL showed up.

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby restoca » Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:58 pm

kitsch transporter wrote:
restoca wrote:...Loopless and mysterious, this Schwarzkopf creation has always fascinated me. Can't find it on rcdb. Did it also operate under a different name? And where is it now?

"Himalaya Bahn" opened in 1983 (afaik) and is still touring the German fairs. In fact, after "Eurostar" has gone, it is the only big travelling coaster in Germany next to "Olympia Looping"...

SeaWhippet wrote:...Himalaya Bahn (now called Alpina Bahn) is an EXCELLENT ride. In fact, I'd rather ride it than Olympia when they play the same fairs...

Thanks for the info, guys! Good to know it's still going strong after 25 years of thrills.

thrillerman1 wrote:^^^ Shane I miss Mo Mo too... Those Eyerly Monster rides sure are rare now.

I have some great memories of the monster that was an original attraction at AstroWorld, the beautiful Black Dragon. When the Coney Island section opened in 1976, it was relocated, the first of many flat rides to sit next to the Texas Cyclone. It was renamed Razzamatazz and received a strange makeover in both appearance and operation: going from black to orange, green, yellow and purple, I think? Plus, the motors that drive the four cars at the end of each arm were reversed to rotate in the same direction as the entire ride, making for some extreme forces. (Just imagine a Scrambler where all parts rotate in the same direction and you'll get the idea.) It was removed after the 1976 season.

I think Worlds Of Fun still has one, and Lakemont has both a worse-for-wear monster and a beautiful looks-like-new Spider. I suspect their Monster is from SFOT or SFOG. One of those parks had a heavily themed one with lots of "monster"... uh... cosmetics/texture.

Looked for some montage postcards and found one with both an old Schwarzkopf AND a Monster!
bgw1.jpg
A Schwarzkopf Jet Star 3 /Jumbo Jet, Glissade operated from 1975 to 1985
bgw1b.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!