TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mark's Postcard Paradise

While we are on the subject or European parks...here is one that we rode on our European TPR trip this past summer. This postcard is obviously from earlier years as The Python at Eftling is now on it's third set of trains. This postcard shows the original trains.

1719185549_eftlingb.jpg.a2e087e579f9daf962d8bc7b2470221c.jpg

1541609876_eftlinga.jpg.2c6584f1bed9a458f06c0bd69910515a.jpg

Python double loop corkscrew Vekoma coaster at Eftling

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to run with this Euro-theme for a bit. Here is Euro-Mir. This was probablly one of my most fave rides on the TPR Europe trip. It stimulated all the senses, those of you that have ridden it know what I am talking about, those of you that havent ridden it....GO RIDE THIS RIDE!

Also it is at one of the BEST parks in Europe!

1460984771_euromirb.jpg.2dfef0b1c11924367dc1aa834236fda5.jpg

355973612_euromira.jpg.64e9ef4ab6a8519e492473ccf6cab2b8.jpg

awesome soundtrack for this ride!

To kick off my IAAPA re-cap update over at Shane's Amusement Attic I thought I would post this post card from GCI that they were passing out at the show.

Check all kinds of Product Portfolios from industry manufacturers like Intamin, S&S Power, Huss and more...all this week

529047901_gcib.jpg.a479c7325a5cc30a86d79af0bba889c9.jpg

1980208783_gcia.jpg.9e74fd3bea70af5ee3ac83c15f18d055.jpg

^ If you loved that one, then you should love this one. It shows all of Six Flags over Georgia's goodness back in the 1970's

Great card as well. I love the older ones that show every thing in the park, give a great sense of what a day there was like. I've got an old card for the Python at Busch Gardens from the 80's I need to scan in this weekend for here.

More from Germany! Loopless and mysterious, this Schwarzkopf creation has always fascinated me. Can't find it on rcdb. Did it also operate under a different name? And where is it now?

"Himalaya Bahn" opened in 1983 (afaik) and is still touring the German fairs. In fact, after "Eurostar" has gone, it is the only big travelling coaster in Germany next to "Olympia Looping".

The owner decided that he had to offer a big coaster for people who were not interested in loops, which were all the rage back then. The ride premiered after the Schwarzkopf double loops and one year before the amazing "Dreier Looping".

The first drop is really intense for a family coaster and the the parabolic second hill offers wonderful airtime. There are some great laterals and heavy Gs. You can still feel that Stengel designed this before CAD took over.

^^^ Shane I miss Mo Mo too. Man that ride sure did get moved around in the park a lot. I remember it being in the USA section the first time I went to SFOG, and then the next time I went it was over in the Cotton States at the end of the GASM midway where Skull Island is now. Those Eyerly Monster rides sure are rare now.

^^ YES monsterfan99 please share with us that Python card!

^ kitsch transporter...Great info on the Himalaya Bahn. Must get to the German fairs one day!

More from Germany! Loopless and mysterious, this Schwarzkopf creation has always fascinated me. Can't find it on rcdb. Did it also operate under a different name? And where is it now?

Himalaya Bahn (now called Alpina Bahn) is an EXCELLENT ride. In fact, I'd rather ride it than Olympia when they play the same fairs.

FYI, Himalaya was slated to join its twisted cousin, Wiener Looping, at Florida's Circus World when WL made its first trip across the Atlantic. Sadly, the deal fell through and only WL showed up.

...Loopless and mysterious, this Schwarzkopf creation has always fascinated me. Can't find it on rcdb. Did it also operate under a different name? And where is it now?

"Himalaya Bahn" opened in 1983 (afaik) and is still touring the German fairs. In fact, after "Eurostar" has gone, it is the only big travelling coaster in Germany next to "Olympia Looping"...

...Himalaya Bahn (now called Alpina Bahn) is an EXCELLENT ride. In fact, I'd rather ride it than Olympia when they play the same fairs...

Thanks for the info, guys! Good to know it's still going strong after 25 years of thrills.

^^^ Shane I miss Mo Mo too... Those Eyerly Monster rides sure are rare now.

I have some great memories of the monster that was an original attraction at AstroWorld, the beautiful Black Dragon. When the Coney Island section opened in 1976, it was relocated, the first of many flat rides to sit next to the Texas Cyclone. It was renamed Razzamatazz and received a strange makeover in both appearance and operation: going from black to orange, green, yellow and purple, I think? Plus, the motors that drive the four cars at the end of each arm were reversed to rotate in the same direction as the entire ride, making for some extreme forces. (Just imagine a Scrambler where all parts rotate in the same direction and you'll get the idea.) It was removed after the 1976 season.

I think Worlds Of Fun still has one, and Lakemont has both a worse-for-wear monster and a beautiful looks-like-new Spider. I suspect their Monster is from SFOT or SFOG. One of those parks had a heavily themed one with lots of "monster"... uh... cosmetics/texture.

Looked for some montage postcards and found one with both an old Schwarzkopf AND a Monster!

bgw1b.jpg.3de4b46f6c5cf6815b22da0c95b1f4af.jpg

bgw1.jpg.1898eb35330e612ff75521a6aa2223bc.jpg

A Schwarzkopf Jet Star 3 /Jumbo Jet, Glissade operated from 1975 to 1985

Here's a turkey of a postcard, only because the object of my affection is in the distance and obscured by a building. This, of course, being the Crystal Beach Cyclone. Despite the caption on the card, I don't think the park's Giant Coaster can be seen in this photo. Without a postmark I'm not sure of the date of this card, but the Cyclone operated from 1926 through the 1946 season.

crystalbeach1b.jpg.aa96605bf43dfd27034078b859ae2e46.jpg

crystalbeach1.jpg.e10c2523f5fe3315deb2ac0ff38c0e6d.jpg

^ Mmmm turkey!

Here's another Eyerly Monster ride, Oriental Octopus, when it was located in the Oriental section at Worlds of Fun. In the mid-80's, it was moved to the Aerodrome section as Tail-Spinner, then removed from the park in 1996, and finally reinstalled in the Scandinavia section in 1998 where it thankfully lives on today.

679524648_OrientalOctopus-Back_800x523.jpg.d43f461c7d12c46214b0b132d504d05c.jpg

1467247160_OrientalOctopus-Front_800x495.jpg.ad4be50477ec4811806d6158a58444e5.jpg

What are those things floating by in the sky?

Nice card, Mark. Does this show the site that Bamboozler (Round-Up) now occupies? Was the Aerodrome the same area later called "Pandamonium"? My first visit to WOF was in 1989 and I found their monster ride, then called Octopus, painted about five colors and smack in the middle of all their kiddie rides.

[Let me apologize for posting a photo in the postcard thread, but this was a unique look for a monster ride.]

WOFhenry.jpg.2546f083c2b50b6b6f876ed1696223ba.jpg

summer 1989

^ That is certainly the most colorful Monster ride I've ever seen. I did a little digging around on the unofficial WOF website, and I believe the answer is yes to both of your questions. That picture must have been taken when it was themed to Tail-Spinner and was part of the Aerodrome section. Too bad I never got to visit the park back then!

The Electric Rainbow used to be a beautifully painted and lit thrill ride at Magic Mountain, since its re-theme is looks old and worn down. I know that is supposed to be the theme, but I think the theme rings a little to true on this ride...old and worn down.

I remember riding Electric Rainbow as a kid and I could swear that the ride went completely sideways...now it only goes about 45 degrees. Does anyone else remember that or am I remembering wrong?

1450359602_sfmmexcitementb.jpg.8159d2140a7661329b6a3c904bf23e55.jpg

1528040149_sfmmthrillsb.jpg.3fffa29ad29da45475448a10d96c2ff5.jpg

Here's the monster ride that was an original attraction of the Oriental Corner section of AstroWorld, seen here from the neighboring Plaza de Fiesta section. Not a great photo of the monster ride, but Astrowheel is seen in the distance. And if you'll notice in the foreground, even back in 1968 AstroWorld's employees were diligently attending to their duties...

blackdragon1b.jpg.9f0ae2cb9f8c8f7bf34602c5fd3d65a1.jpg

blackdragon1.jpg.d417e76e804bf7493de14349e20708ea.jpg

^ I love that postcard. It may be one of my most favorite on this thread. I love to see stuff from AstroWorld, the older the better. Am I the only one that is still BITTER over the closing of this park????

Here is my contribution for the day. Just last year that was a typical postcard, nothing really anything special...well now it is a collectors item.

RIP - Back to the Future: the ride

1533855482_futureb.jpg.f67ae4ae79197335cc2df6799269324c.jpg

989094489_futurea.jpg.b46a892eae1b7fcdcdec9c169eda0d44.jpg