TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Scott's Coaster Closet

I was looking around The Closet this evening and found more photos and material relating to several other lost wooden coasters that I thought I would share. The featured rides include the CNE Flyer, Americana/LeSourdsville Screechin' Eagle, Fairyland Wildcat and Myrtle Beach boneyard shots.

There's a little bonus at the bottom of this post. I'm curious if anyone can shed light on those images.

-Scott

spring2.jpg.6511eb055fe93668b19517c27a64c05e.jpg

This pic was in the same book. Has anyone ever seen this ride? It was called the Orbit and appears to be a Zipper/Loop-O-Plane hybrid!

spring1.jpg.a13397378649f4646a623aa6cf72e79f.jpg

This pic came from a recent book -- "Springlake Amusement Park." Check out the coaster hills in the background. HOW did this little train make it over these humps?!

SF5.jpg.9cfab51b0cb88928fc658397dfa23c5e.jpg

sf4.jpg.324c48d409a2680fcdb81b9fe6d43ae8.jpg

Note the Off Shore Drilling Company in the background. Anyone remember that place?

sf3.jpg.34bd01d91b29cf34f9004ea6bc341002.jpg

sf.jpg.a98dd66ed68f137d7758518c3a3927c1.jpg

I "think" these trains came from GASM at SFOG. I just happened to see them rotting away in a field next to Family kingdom. I'm guessing they were cannibalized for the Swamp Fox.

159667410_fsign.jpg.3657156fb9ce992d8aa2f7cf9a3665e9.jpg

This sign described the ride but misspells the name of NAD's president and founder -- Aurel Vaszin.

f4.jpg.81e8875a992054f5902b9c337d557e3b.jpg

The Wildcat, as it operates today, is NOT the same ride that thrilled riders at Fairyland.

f3.jpg.0b03d707fcb16d5fa8f980ecd137eafc.jpg

NAD coasters were all about designing with circles and straight lines. This often translated into major airtime!

f2.jpg.b3ec2d3e8d316878ae2cbe165f9635cc.jpg

I shot these pics just before the Wildcat was dismantled and rebuilt at Frontier City.

se7.jpg.5e4802de50400d84227e90b8aa602f8e.jpg

A nice big drop into the brakes. I hope someone saves this ride.

se6.jpg.35daafdfad3ce3864bd032c2927ef5b9.jpg

Those NAD trains are all about 'rider freedom.'

se4.jpg.c9cd795667bd6c80c0f2c246af389449.jpg

Those girls in the last seat are airborn!

se3.jpg.8a3fa7682645e09adb35e8fac7dbe170.jpg

First drop.

se2.jpg.f76e3cd2e2a3750fdc21527943782aee.jpg

se1.jpg.2a76d2c7c71681516356aef4489d7351.jpg

In its later years, Screechin' Eagle was a little gem that got overshadowed by the coasters at nearby Kings Island.

cn9.jpg.76db7478fe8d1dcc3f9d69c804ed2f4a.jpg

Good night, moon ... um, Flyer.

cn8.jpg.d0deb0bafb30727e9aab7271a7ca89b3.jpg

If you look closely, you can see one of the Flyer's BIG four-car/four-bench trains. So odd for ride of this size to use such formidable rolling stock.

cn7.jpg.f51b531e5a0636a5610ca40c6abeb091.jpg

cn6.jpg.864630d7fccb61ed74e50cdf19a25287.jpg

cn5.jpg.31a401e490f6228f19ea37eebe5c20b4.jpg

cn4.jpg.1bdae0f2adf79999843cb77c569f867d.jpg

This strange ride featured some sweet fan turns.

cn3.jpg.7a77c223c2d1b0f26ce21bf35ffbcc07.jpg

First drop.

cn2.jpg.0e37eb1715fa1a0a1ecf9b4af1f62696.jpg

The Flyer is another woodie I photographed but never got to ride. :(

cn1.jpg.f918df9797a5d9a49aac09d4a601701e.jpg

Postcard of the CNE when it was wonderful. Look at all those classic rides!

^Boy, just when I thought the Zipper couldn't get any worse...

Great post Scott, I really liked seeing those old Great American Scream Machine cars sitting idle in the old field. I did get a chance to ride both the Flyer and Screechin Eagle (have you seen my POV of the Flyer on youtube?) They were both Awesome rides! The Eagle was better IMO.

As you know I just got back from Mexico City where I rode the MOTHER of all NADs! Montana Rusa. It still has some wild, violent pops of air and looked as beautiful as ever. Problem was they were only running ONE train on a busy day (that is one train for both tracks not one on each side). Dispatches where about every 10 minutes. Still a great ride and worth the trip to Mex to ride it!

Shane

Yeah, that Zipper-like thing looks insane. I would love to see some video!

Oh, and I'm shocked the Mexico City Racer was running one train! That's nuts! The bloody thing can handle SIX 4-car trains. I wish I could've joined you on that trip. Dreier Looping, Laser Loop AND that NAD woodie ... Mmmmmmm.

I miss my beloved Screechin' Eagle. That ride at night in the back seat was truly something to behold. Kids today don't have any idea... I hear all the time: "I like the Racer because of the crazy airtime!" If only they knew what was rotting away in the weeds just a couple exits north...

-James Dillaman

More great stuff Scott. Strange that those GASM trains were just sitting there, exposed to the elements. I remember seeing Texas Cyclone PTC trains in "storage" at SFOT, slowing slowly being stripped for parts for Judge Roy Scream.

Flyer & Screechin' Eagle - two more woodies I knew of when they were operating, but never rode. Wildcat after its relocation was a bit of a mess.

I've seen photos of those odd Springlake rides. I wonder if that hybrid train-coaster was completely unique to that park, or if similar attractions could be found elsewhere. Here's a photo that appears to be the same ride, and called Super Chief.

I've looked for the manufacturer of that Orbit ride, but no luck. Looks like it could be Eyerly or very closely related. I think the entire ride rotated on that main column.

Orbit11.thumb.jpg.55aa8753f8171ebd96561e6a10e6535a.jpg

springlake55s.jpg.e77bd9437c392791972a263242d9525f.jpg

Great shots, restoca. I would love to have seen the Orbit (and that train with coaster hills) in operation. Surely, some home movie exists out there somewhere ...

Screechin' Eagle is one I DID get to ride on several occasions. It had a very "loose" feel and some of those airtime pops (esp. the steel hill off the turnaround) were intense. I spoke with a well known coaster designer who was at Americana last year and he said the Eagle is in VERY good structural condition. Apparently, they put a LOT of work into it not long before the park closed.

Now Americana is owned by that kooky RV/camper salesman. What a waste. That's as bad as Idora being owned by the brainless pentecostal church of the holy coaster haters. And we see the crime against history those hateful freaks committed ... RIP Wildcat & Jack Rabbit.

^^ Cool! thanks for the POV and pics. I remember riding the Doppel Looping at the CNE many years ago. I think that the woodie was gone when I went, but I remember that Doppel Looping was great at night. I went to the CNE last summer, but it seems that this place is not the same - is it smaller now?

• 3 months later...

I can't believe I missed this great post that including the Screechin' Eagle. Glad I caught up with this one. I do miss that coaster and I wonder what will ever become of it, or if it's even too late.

It's one of the coasters I'm looking for footage of if anyone has a POV!

--Robb

I can't believe I missed this great post that including the Screechin' Eagle. Glad I caught up with this one. I do miss that coaster and I wonder what will ever become of it, or if it's even too late.

It's one of the coasters I'm looking for footage of if anyone has a POV!

--Robb

Robb-

The Eagle really was a great coaster. I wish someone would relocate this one. I have quite a few still shots of the ride in action. I'll look through The Closet to see what I have video-wise. Looking forward to your defunct coaster production.

Wow this thread is amazing.

I can't believe that 'rainbow' ride that looked like an enterprise or orbit on an arc was actually constructed and operated.

Here is some interesting Info on Old Indiana Fun Park that many people may already know but I find it interesting, being the Hoosier that I am.

Someone mentioned the bobsled that was sitting disassembled in an indiana field for some time. Many people may already know this but that was the Old Indiana Fun Park property. I had the chance to visit there when I was younger before the unlucky miniature train accident but I was too young to ride the two credits: Montagnes Russes & Mad Mouse. Here is a link to the RCDB page detailing the history of the park, it's many name changes, financial trouble, and it's downfall:

http://rcdb.com/pd89.htm

http://rcdb.com/ig692.htm?picture=7

http://rcdb.com/ig169.htm?picture=3

^The pictures when you click on the coasters are just sad.

The coasters were transported from Opryland & SFNE for storage after the park had closed so they never operated at Old Indiana . It's also interesting to think Premier parks was planning to reopen the park as a "Heartland Festival Entertainment Complex" in 1999 but six flags has since sold the property.

I'm also fascinated with the history of Pacific Ocean Park (Not Santa Monica Pier). It's where my mom had her first date circa 1967. I've found a lot of information on wikipedia and a few other enthusiast websites detailing many of the rides & history but if anyone has any additional information that would be awesome to take a look at with my Mom. Thanks for getting through my post!

The Orbit looks absolutely terrifying...and painful.

I totally agree. Though I've sworn off most spinning flat rides, I can endure the Zipper for some reason. A Zipper can be great fun if operated properly, but I think the Orbit would be beyond horrific.

I'd love to hear from someone who rode it ...

I was looking around The Closet this evening and found more photos and material relating to several other lost wooden coasters that I thought I would share. The featured rides include the CNE Flyer, Americana/LeSourdsville Screechin' Eagle, Fairyland Wildcat and Myrtle Beach boneyard shots.

There's a little bonus at the bottom of this post. I'm curious if anyone can shed light on those images.

-Scott

Scott, what does CNE stand for? It looks like it was a great park.

-Scott

Scott, what does CNE stand for? It looks like it was a great park.

CNE = Canadian National Exhibition.

It's counterpart is the PNE – Pacific National Exhibition, which makes its home at Vancouver's Playland Park.

^ I did a trip report on the 2008 CNE in Toronto.

I don't think it is anywhere near as cool as it used to be. I seem to recall it being a lot bigger with the coasters, Sky-ride and more amusements. Don't know whether they scaled it back because of operational costs or poor attendance.

The report is about halfway down the page...

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49017&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=10