Photo TR - East Coast Tour 2008 - The C-Jay Perspective

Pre-Game to the Last Day! Knoebels P-10
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby KerryB » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:30 am

^When I get a copy? How much is it worth it to you that I don't post a boat photo? Hmmm, blackmail!!! :devil:

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Day 10 - Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:39 pm

I should mention that today was a bit of hangover day from…DRINKING NIGHT 2!! For those of you who were there…an awesome night and man, that bar/ pub/ restaurant was totally happening! Whoever has those pics…they must be destroyed!

Ok, so on to Dorney, another classic park with a proud history but of course done up the CF way.

Four favourites were at this park:
-Hydra: I loved this ride! It was running crazy smooth with awesome floater during almost private ERT while everyone was at Talon
-Talon:Another amazing ride!! It’s tied with Montu for favorite invert
-Laser:Well, it’s Laser, what more needs to be said? Funny, after Superman at SFGA, this is the second ride that I’ve grayed out on.
-Voodoo:I love these rides, especially Wicked Twister.

Anyway, the day at Dorney was a bit sad given that only one more day was left. It was a great park and one of the major highlights was of course the water park with Robb, Elissa and crew! How awesome is a water park that has slides that are “Dark and Dynamic”? I mean, what can touch that? Thanks to all of you for letting me tag along, it was awesome, I’ve never laughed so much! Plus, you really haven’t experienced enthusiasm until you’ve heard Robb go down a waterslide, especially the covered ones!

Overall, another great day and a fantastic ERT, especially on great coasters like Hydra (debatable I know..) and Talon. Honestly, it was so hard to believe that only one day was left.

Fellow food lovers, you’ll understand this. Following almost ten days of similar food each day (fried chicken, hamburgers, assorted pulled pork sandwiches, mac & cheese, etc) I have to take a moment to talk about a memorable culinary experience. After the waterpark and before ERT, we were all lucky enough to be across the street from the hotel. After resting up a bit, I ran into Scott and Jenn who invited me to tag along to Carrabbas to pick up Robb and Elissa’s gift. Until discovering TPR, I had never heard of the place. I think Olive Garden was in Canada for all of a year or two but that’s as close as we had to Carrabbas, and Olive Garden doesn’t even come close. Speaking as someone who knows that nothing can come close to Mamma and Nonna’s cooking…..the place was just awesome and yes, was as close as a restaurant can get…(but shhh..don’t tell the family). Scott and Jenn, thanks again for the great company and hanging out for some great food…and wine… :angel:

There is no doubt that the food on the trip was very generous and of good quality but Carrabbas was definitely a special treat!

So, now that I’m hungry this late, I’ll just stop rambling and get to the pics. Enjoy!
IMG_2034.JPG
In line for some Steel Force ERT! An impressive looking coaster but it was kind of like a scenic railway. It was relaxing and fun nevertheless.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2036.JPG
Some said this was like a mini Steel Dragon? It sure looks cool.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2038.JPG
Across the way, the new to Dorney, Voodoo. Did I mention how much I love these things?
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2039.JPG
Yes, Voodoo will possess you in 3, 2, 1... .. .... ... etc etc
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2041.JPG
Nature shot...with coasters of course.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2042.JPG
We had a guided back area tour or the shop and other 'backstage' areas. The highlight of course was seeing all the work that goes into preparing Halloween Haunt...it's definitely no small task.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2043.JPG
Some great views from the staff parking lot.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2047.JPG
I see you Laser! It's unfortunate that this view may be a bit different now.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2048.JPG
Outside the shop, sorry, no pictures of inside! You'll have to attend the Haunt at Dorney to see what they prepare throughout the summer.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2050.JPG
One of the hearses. The drivable hearse (not pictured here) was totally pimped up by Best Buy!
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2053.JPG
Cool view along the way to tour Club Blood, I think a common concept between Cedar Fair parks for Huant.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2054.JPG
A bit more Voodoo.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2056.JPG
A Li'll Hydra from outside of Club Blood.
Viewed 2266 times
IMG_2057.JPG
Oh no...another hamburger meal! :)

That's it from Dorney, stay tuned for the one and only Knoebels!
Viewed 2266 times

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Fri Nov 07, 2008 3:23 pm

Great TR, I totally forgot about the tour so it was nice to get a view of that.

Dorney was a lot better than I thought it would be, Talon and Hydra really rocked and I was expecting to ride them once and be off. Steel Force was a lot better than I thought it would be and Thunderhawk was not bad. Though the Wild Mouse queue would have given the Dalai Lama the sh!ts.

When I looked up "glass" in the dictionary it had a section on word uses like "Smooth as glass" and lo and behold it just had a picture of Laser, it was odd but very cool to have that much smoothness and force in the one coaster.

FIRE HAIRED BOY

Postby krazekiddd » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 pm

Here's all I remember of Dorney:

- Wake up late and run my A$$ to the meeting point.
- Do ERT on Steel Force
- Ride Voodoo, Lazer, and the mouse
- Eat lunch at 11:30
- Run back to the hotel and sleep till 5 pm!
- Go to Carrabbas, back to the park for Night ERT and sleep some more!

Yes, that was my eventful day but totally worth having a hotel right across the street from a crappy park.

2007 TPR MidWest Tour | 2008 TPR East Coast Tour |2009 TPR West Coast Tour | 2010 TPR USA Trips | 2011 TPR Tokyo | 2012 Europe Trip

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:01 pm

^^ How could you even comment on trying the patience of the DL :)

But you're right; I think given that queue, only deep meditation and instantaneous self-enlightenment would get anyone through while maintaining moderate blood pressure. Yah, I skipped it lol

^Hey Scott! So I guess a Dorney trip is definitely in your future plans then? :)

At least over Thanksgiving you're going to be close to some awesome places.

Day 11 - Knoebels

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:58 am

So, here we are at the last day. It was definitely a day that tugged at the heartstrings, both in terms in how awesome Knoebels was but also in knowing that the trip would be over after ERT and that we’d all be parting ways for the foreseeable future.

Now, we were lucky on the past few bus trips to have Robb join us along with his trivia, bag of ‘not all that mysterious’ mystery items and some of the craziest stories ever. That was of course in addition to how awesome Studio 54 bus was already!

Robb described how different and crazy Knoebels is and that there really is no easy way to describe the park. He was right and it didn’t disappoint! The park was one of the most memorable atmospheres around and certainly a park that I would categorize as a “must return”. You can not go into it expecting a corporate atmosphere whatsoever. They clearly do things differently and their philosophy seems to work. The parking lot was packed by mid-day after all! I have no idea how to describe the place other than it’s simple and works so well on so many levels. It’s like the camping atmosphere was extended right into the park. You can relax, ride on your own terms/ spend what you want, enjoy the setting, enjoy the spontaneous entertainment and enjoy the great home-style food. The park employed a lot of retirees and I thought that it gave it quite a charm. The lunch line reminded me of the high school cafeteria lunch ladies, but serving better food. Ok, you got me, it’s quite often about the food for me.

You’d be surprised at how much there is to do and a full day is definitely a recommend. Also, there are some classic rides there that I’ve never seen anywhere else.

Highlights of the day:
-Twister and Phoenix ERT!! Especially Phoenix, I’ve never landed half on the lap of the person sitting beside me on any ride before..
-Losing but then finding my camera
-The awesome Haunted Mansion
-Ring grab/ toss on the carousel. BTW, Kim actually bought the Wurlitzer sound track! I would never have known that such a thing existed.
-‘Hamster wheel ride’ and other crazy flats!
-Insane bumper cars and chatting with Mr. Dick Knoebel about the park while waiting for them!
-The Flyers – TPR takeover styles, no need to say more except maybe..snap!
-TPR takeover of the Cosmotron.
-An amazing opportunity to not only tour the Flying Turns site but also walk the track!
-GCII field trip
-Cora and Scott’s 1st annual TPR trip awards. Thanks for all the work you two put into it, it was a lot of fun.
-Birch bark beer, waffle ice cream (Jake/ Texas, thanks for going on that food walk/ hunt with me…what was it that we were looking for again…just popcorn??) haha
-Did I mention Phoenix?

Enjoy the pics and if you’ve made it this far following this TR, thank you! Looking forward to your posts!

Robb and Elissa, thanks again for all that you both do! If anyone out there is looking for a truly unique and fun experience, definitely consider one of the trips.

It goes without saying that it was a pleasure meeting everyone that I had the opportunity to meet. I hope that we all run into each other again on a future trip or in our areas.

Yah I know..finally...the pics :)
IMG_2058.jpg
Needless to say, we were hungry and someone had their big a$$ Hershey bar available from Hershey Park.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2059.jpg
Never interfere with a chocolate lover and their bar...
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2060.jpg
From what I remember, the attack was swift, quick and smooth. The bar never knew what was coming.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2061.jpg
Just to give you a sense of how big this thing is. Scott is planning the next bite aimed at where no bite has gone before..

Who said bus rides can't be crazy?
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2062.jpg
So, here we are at Knoebels! Oh, yes it's true, the 'k' is not silent. It took me a long time to get that :)
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2063.jpg
Just a beautiful day, very fitting.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2064.jpg
Heading over to Twister, just a random turkey on the way.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2066.jpg
The Flying Turns site, more on that later.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2067.jpg
Here it is, Twister. As with Flying Turns, this project was all done in-house to make it as authentic to the original ride style that it is based on as possible.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2068.jpg
Mr. Knoebel (Jr.) introduces us to the park and Twister.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2071.jpg
The start of ERT. A great way to wake up all the campers..
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2073.jpg
Definitely an impressive looking ride especially the stacked lifts.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2074.jpg
How was that? Kerry, were you stapled??
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2076.jpg
Fly by
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2078.jpg
After ERT, it was free time to explore the park with our tickets ready to go. These next few pics were in the camping area adjacent to the park. Here is the Trading Post, purveyor of all things food and camp-ground related, including glow sticks...
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2079.jpg
On the way to check out...Phoenix!
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2080.jpg
A bit difficult to get good pics of Phoenix since it's hidden behind the trees for the most part. This ride is relentless and is everything you'd think a classic coaster would be. You rarely sit on the seat.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2081.jpg
Awesome choice of moving it to Knoebels!
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2082.jpg
This park just has this old-world charm to it and does a great job of blending in their newer attractions.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2087.jpg
A bit of flume action, a tradition at every park :)
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2088.jpg
Not too wet on this one.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2090.jpg
The only pic I got of the Huanted mansion. I thought I had more. A great example of traditional concepts done exceptionally well.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2093.jpg
Lunch time! We had some entertainment but it wasn't all about the band that showed up.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2096.jpg
It was mostly about Jenn and Trent :)
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2097.jpg
Perogies and bbq chicken!
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2099.jpg
Meanwhile, Scott and Cora were prepping for the awards show.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2101.jpg
Given that it was TPR, the rules for nominating and voting vary signifcantly. It was a lot of fun, great job!
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2105.jpg
Mr. Dick Knoebel, owner. He is extremely proud of his park/ family business. It's not hard to see why.

Mr. Knoebel hung out with us for a bit at the bumper cars later in the day. OH, we also met Jill Knoebel.. :)
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2106.jpg
After lunch, it was our flying turns tour! I can't wait to try it out one day.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2108.jpg
No word yet on when it will open. They're trying to get the train technology just right or at least successfully replicated from the past.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2113.jpg
One of our guides waiting for us on top.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2115.jpg
Now, where else would you be able to do this? Yes, we actually get to climb in!
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2116.jpg
On our way up.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2118.jpg
The build quality and workmanship is incredible.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2119.jpg
Yah, I had to ride it somehow :)
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2121.jpg
Among her many talents, Kerry is analysing the structural integrity.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2122.jpg
Almost at the top of the lift hill.
Viewed 2097 times
IMG_2124.jpg
Here we are at the top of the lift hill. Definitely a one-of-a-kind experience! That also tops off my pics! I spent the rest of the day on crazy rides with friends and even TPRers that I hadn't gotten to know yet. Funny how that happens on the last day but I'm glad that it did. GCII tour was great and then there was Phoenix ERT! A perfect ending to a fantastic trip!
Viewed 2097 times

Good news, some more to come...

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:27 am

Some good news! I managed to recover my Philadelphia pics that I accidentally deleted during the trip! These will be posted as Day -1 in the near future.

Cheers,
J

Hard Rock hyyyper

Postby hyyyper » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:01 am

Pheonix? :lmao:

nice report so far J, Knoebels was a killer last-day

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:29 am

^ hahah I couldn't find what you were talking about, but then I found it in the two captions. I must have been really excited during my typing! :)

Thanks Bas! Looking forward to seeing the rest of yours as well.

Cheers,
J

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive