TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Flamingo Land Discussion Thread

Wow that looks like great fun, nice theming in the area, the submarines look cool.

Shocking weather there, lovely one minute the next there is floods. I know Leeds and Yorkshire area got hit badly and Flamingoland is located up there.

Thats some amount of water at the entrance.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't get these rides, however they do look like good family attractions. While this one doesn't deem as well themed as other splash battles, it is still better than just placing this ride in some water. Flamingoland looks like a decent park, and with the attractions over the last few years, it seems to be gaining a good reputation.

I have only been to Flamingoland once and we had only been there 30mins and there was a massive thunder/lighting/rain storm and they closed the park.

I only got to ride the Bullet and drop tower!

I hope to go again before the end of the season but the weather here at the moment not sure that its a good idea.

Pictures look great - looks to be an interesting ride

I went on the one at Walibi World, it is great fun but I found it difficult to hit the targets with the water jet / cannons on the subs.

Walibi World's has a "look-out" platform which has cannons on to get the people below.

My trick is to fill a couple of plastic pints full of water, and drop it onto the people below to get em soaked.

• 1 year later...

It looks like the Vekoma wooden coaster will have to wait as Flamingoland is building a S&S El Loco for next year. Hopefully it turns out as well as Steel Hawg, but it seems out of place with how Flamingoland has transformed in recent years. It should still be a fun ride though, but with their two newest coasters from Vekoma, I was expecting there next coaster to be something more than a compact S&S coaster.

RCDB Link

Edit: Maybe a reason for a small S&S coaster as opposed to the Vekoma wooden coaster is because of the horrible shape the economy is in.

It does seem out of place. I really don't see the strategy behind it. It probably came down to the bottom line of how much each ride cost and their respective attendance boosts. I guess they think this will be more bang for their buck?

I'm hoping for a little longer layout with this one. I loved Steel Hawg, but I think they could do even more at a slightly larger park like FL.

• 2 weeks later...

Guess what its called...

http://www.parkworld-online.com/news/fullstory.php/aid/1017/New_ride_at_Flamingo_Land__Mumbo_Jumbo.html

Seems like parks are running out of ideas for good ride names.

Even so, I'm looking forward to it. Its nice to see a ride being built that I know I will be riding soon.

EDIT: Links not working for some reason, just copy and paste the link into you address bar for search it on google or something.

• 3 months later...

Flamingo Land in North Yorkshire has revealed its new rollercoaster concept for the 2009 season and, it's a world's first! The ride; named 'Mumbo Jumbo', will feature the most extreme drop in history plunging thrill seekers 112° from a high point of 30 metres generating in excess of 4Gs on it's passengers.

Owner Gordon Gibb said: "It is exciting for a relatively small family business like Flamingo Land to be punching well above its weight. The manufacturer (S&S) are legendary within the industry and Mumbo Jumbo looks set to become a National icon, we are all very excited!"

In explanation of the ride's strange name, it was revealed that Mumbo Jumbo is a 'tongue in cheek' description of how other theme parks boast about their new rides and attractions, but Flamingo Land insist their new addition is the real deal. Mumbo Jumbo will be opened by Guinness World Records in July 2009 when it is expected that the world record breaking achievement will be officially recognised. Andrea Banfi of Guinness World Records revealed; 'We will be in attendance at the opening of Flamingo Land's new rollercoaster and look forward to this new Guinness World Records™ record in the steepest roller coaster made from steel category'.

Mumbo Jumbo will cost in excess of £4 million and will be Flamingo Land's eighth rollercoaster. The North Yorkshire operation also has an exotic and endangered animal collection explaining the Company Logo 'Wild Animals, Wilder Rides'

^I'm hoping Mumbo Jumbo will appear in the steepest category...as the 2nd steepest. It would be pretty hypocritical of Flamingo Land to claim this the steepest ride in the world, considering its name...

The only thing I could possibly see them contorting to allow them to exclude Steel Hawg is the lengthy brake running down the drop until the vertical part (about). Which still doesn't make sense.

Wouldn't be the first time a park stretched the truth for advertising (Dragon Mountain as world's biggest...Mean Streak as a top 10 woodie...)

Isn't Steel Hawg 120 degrees?

I hope Guinness doesn't find out.

"Some enthusaists claim that Steel Hawg's drop is steeper. Here's how Nick Buckley, Flamingoland's Operations Director, counters the claim:

"Answer on the 120º issue is that Steel Hawg is actually 111º - the 120 was an early design, and the S&S marketing people weren't quite as up to date with the engineering people when that coaster was launched. Ours will be 1º steeper than Indiana beach.""

Taken from:

http://www.coasterforce.com/home/p2_articleid/645

There's also an explanation for the name on there, as well as images of the trains and layout.

[/plug]

Isn't Steel Hawg 120 degrees?

I hope Guinness doesn't find out.

"Some enthusaists claim that Steel Hawg's drop is steeper. Here's how Nick Buckley, Flamingoland's Operations Director, counters the claim:

"Answer on the 120º issue is that Steel Hawg is actually 111º - the 120 was an early design, and the S&S marketing people weren't quite as up to date with the engineering people when that coaster was launched. Ours will be 1º steeper than Indiana beach.""

Taken from:

http://www.coasterforce.com/home/p2_articleid/645

There's also an explanation for the name on there, as well as images of the trains and layout.

[/plug]

Indiana Beach...boy oh boy. They dropped those bombs on the enthusiast community well about Steel Hawg, you know that?

Big time.

So I guess this is why Steel Hawg's opening was slightly delayed, because the drop was secretly modified. For all we know, the listing of the other elements could be wrong and/or outdated as well, if the whole design was changed:

90 degree "Wall" Turn - Either the turn into the Dive Loop, or a removed element that marketing didn't know about (probably the 90 degree outside turn from the promo video)

45 degree Tip-Out - 45 degree outside turn, still there

Inverted Drop - Either an S&S Dive Loop name or a reference to the falling portion of the heartline (dropping while inverted)

Outside 360 Roll - Heartline roll