TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Valleyfair (VF) Discussion Thread

Looks like we will say goodbye to Whitewater Country and hello to Soak City!

From Screamscape...

2009 - Wavepool / Soak City - Confirmed - (10/10/08) CoasterKarma has posted the announcement from Valleyfair that not only will the park add a new large wave pool next year (34,000 sq-ft, 200 feet of “beach frontage”) with cabana rental service, but they will also change the name of the waterpark from Whitewater Country to Soak City

So what I'm thinking that is it will be a good sized wavepool.

"Heres information about Valleyfairs new water attraction...

"Valleyfair has announced a new 350,000-gallon wave pool and other amenities to its waterpark. Earlier this season, the park removed its log flume from the park to make way for the new attraction. Riders over labor day weekend 2008 were treated to their last rides on the family water ride, as it was closed for good on labor day. Since September, Valleyfair has deconstructed the ride, leaving open a giant hole visible from Highway 101 in Shakopee. The New Wave Pool will total 34,000 square feet with nearly 200 feet of “beach frontage” (shall end width) to give guests plenty of space to sunbathe as they watch the waves roll in on the zero-depth entry. At its widest point in the deep end, the wave pool will measure 75 feet. Its maximum depth will be six feet.

Valleyfair will also offer cabana rentals around the new wave pool to enhance the guest experience. The cabanas will shelter guests from the hot summer sun and will include food and beverage service. Other amenities that will be added include a new bathhouse with private changing and shower areas, tube and cabana rentals, locker rentals, a new merchandise and new food stand.

The addition of the new wave pool and other amenities will bring the waterpark’s size to just over seven acres, which is almost double the size of the existing waterpark. Also new in 2009, Valleyfair will change the name of it’s waterpark to Soak City. Whitewater Country, as it is called today, currently offers guests body and speed slides, a family rafting ride, and a raging rapids whitewater rafting tube ride. They also offer a splash station for the youngsters. 2009 will also bring in the start of Valleyfair’s 33rd season, beginning in May. The complete 2009 operating schedule will be posted on Valleyfair’s website in the near future."

We'll have coverage at VFZ of the full announcement when the official press release is made. Props to Coaster Karma! I've never heard of the site actually before today.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

http://www.startribune.com/local/80512237.html

Bob Williams dressed in a tuxedo and top hat and sported a beard and cane to greet guests at Valleyfair's grand opening in 1976. The attire personified his witty, offbeat personality and the many whimsical

attributes of the playground he helped design.

Willy, as he was known in Twin Cities advertising and marketing circles, was involved in nearly every design aspect of the Shakopee amusement park, from its color schemes to its cartoon-style maps, posters and collectibles to naming many of the early rides, such as the High Roller and the Monster.

Williams died of chronic lung disease and heart failure Christmas Eve at Fairview Southdale Hospital in Edina. He was 77.

"He was terribly creative," said Dave Sherman, founder and CEO of Valley Park Inc., the first owner of Valleyfair. "With naming the rides, he went for the funky and out-of-the-ordinary; he wanted that for people to have a

silly or fun time. ... We liked his work very much."

Williams began his career in the Twin Cities as a teacher and art director at Art Instruction Schools, where he worked with Charles Schulz, creator of the "Peanuts" comic strip. Admired for his creativity, Williams was tapped to design logos and looks for several Twin Cities stores and

restaurants, and to illustrate advertisements for local advertising agencies and publications, said Charleen Bacigalupo, whose husband was the last owner of Twin Citian magazine, a now defunct publication in which Williams' work often appeared.

"He had no respect for a deadline, but he had immense respect for good work," said Paul Runyon, former owner of Runyon's Saloon, who used Williams on a freelance basis when he ran Promotion Resource. "He always gave something extra and enhanced the proposition."

• 1 month later...

I just wanna say something about the park that is completely off topic.

The park needs a good looping coaster. If it is by Vekoma, Intamin, B&M, or anyone! They need a new coaster with inversions. The only coaster there that goes upside down is the Corkscrew. If I also remember, they have a looping starship kind of ride, nothing else. felt sorry for the place

^I don't think a park has to have a looping coaster to make it better... While I haven't been yet, everything I've seen of Valleyfair is that it is a pretty strong park, despite its lack of "loopers." Considering the park just got Renegade not too long ago, I can't see them really splurging on another major coaster addition yet.

• 5 months later...

Looks like good news for Valleyfair!:

A substantial expansion is coming to Valleyfair for the start of the 2011 season.

Officials for the 34-year-old amusement park in Shakopee will reveal the details on Aug. 6.

The expansion will be of "pretty significant proportions," said Valleyfair spokesman Tom Memmen, declining to give away the specifics. He did say it's something that park operators "hope will encourage families to continue to come out."

"People coming out next year will know that something will be different," he added.

Since its opening, the 90-acre Valleyfair has spent more than $96 million in upgrades, making it the largest amusement park in the Upper Midwest.

Link

It's a shame they won't keep the corkscrews around and do the same thing they did at Alton Towers .

The only park I can see really doing this is Cedar Point because theirs is so iconic. i can even see them keeping the corkscrews where they are if/when they remove the ride.

Kinda bittersweet to see GASM get ripped apart like this. Like I've said before, I got a good ride on it years ago, but my ride 2 years ago was hellacious, and that's putting it lightly.

It's a shame they won't keep the corkscrews around and do the same thing they did at Alton Towers .

The only park I can see really doing this is Cedar Point because theirs is so iconic. i can even see them keeping the corkscrews where they are if/when they remove the ride.

Valleyfair's will be around for a while as well. It's one of only two inverting roller coasters in the entire state, and the only one in the park.

I'm sorry, I still really don't like the CF parks all going back to Snoopy. Especially the way it was presented to us at CGA about how it's such a great thing and how parents really want to take their kids to a kids area that appeals to them and that they relate to the characters.

No, sorry, I'd much rather bring my kid to a kids area SHE enjoys and SHE knows the characters. Not ones that I constantly have to try to explain to her.

When does everyone think they will announce the new ride?

I Imagine soon because the town meeting for it is tuesday.

1. Administrative Approval – Block: 3101 Lot: 11 – Six Flags Great Adventure is seeking administrative site plan approval to replace the existing Scream Machine attraction with a new Steel Roller Coaster

http://www.jacksontwpnj.net/Townhall/Planning%20&%20Zoning/agendas/2010/pb_agenda_08-02-10.pdf

I'm sorry, I still really don't like the CF parks all going back to Snoopy. Especially the way it was presented to us at CGA about how it's such a great thing and how parents really want to take their kids to a kids area that appeals to them and that they relate to the characters.

No, sorry, I'd much rather bring my kid to a kids area SHE enjoys and SHE knows the characters. Not ones that I constantly have to try to explain to her.

In Minnesota, we still know snoopy a lot more then a place like California. Snoopy was born here. We have statues and all sorts of things spread around the cities and state. So I think it will be really special having our beloved beagle come back from his horrible break off of Camp Snoopy in the Mall of America.

I can understand your point though when Snoopy isn't as big on the West Coast than it is here.

The Snoop Dog is pretty much the mascot for Cedar Fair. As long as there is a mascot, the kids will enjoy it and whatever it has to offer. Snoopy creating another planet will automatically make his status godly again. CF's just spreading the word.

Yeah, my Nephew thinks Snoopy is Charlie Brown, or is it Charlie Brown is Snoopy?... Either way he would NO trouble identifying Sponge Bob or Patrick.