Mark's Postcard Paradise

A-Z - Disney's MAGIC KINGDOM 1970's-80's
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Postby montezooma » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 am

This Demon logo is weak compared to that of the Screamin Demon. Also I am not sure why they changed the name from Screamin Demon to just plain Demon. Must have been the start of the KI decline.

This was my first Arrow Shuttle Loop. I really liked the color transition in the loop and the lighting package was guite impressive but compared to the Schwarzkopf model it fails to impress. I still love it just for nostalgic sake. Plus walking up and down all those stairs really helped firm up my a$$
demon.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby restoca » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:30 pm

Another eerie moonlit coaster. I tweaked it as best I could, but the postmark's still not very clear. It reads Sep 12 1927, which means the Big Dipper was probably younger than the little girl who sent this card to her father.
bpb1.jpg
Just look at all that open space in front of the Big Dipper!
bpb1b.jpg

Not KingBoobs

Postby Kingbooba » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:23 pm

thrillerman1 wrote:^ That's exactly the spirit I was trying to go for with this SCAREadise series, so that's perfect Shane. It doesn't neccessarily have to scream out Halloween in the card (there's a hint for next week's card)...just be loosely asociated with the holiday. And yes that's a wicked logo! :devil:

Edit...I just noticed the card says 1972 yet none of those coasters were built then. How bizarre!

Great link restoca!

I think the 1972 is the copyright date... after all, the sign is next to it. Like the King's Island name. KI opened in 1972.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby thrillerman1 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:19 pm

I think you must be correct Kingbooba. That would make the most sense.

Shane & restoca...more great additions for the SCAREadise series. I appreciate your full support! I remember The Demon also being my first Arrow shuttle and after riding it thinking how much better Laser Loop at Kennywood (my first Anton shuttle) was. Nice to have our first European postcard addition with Big Dipper. How great to start it with a John Miller no less and a coaster I've always wanted to ride. That turret turn after the lifthill has always intrigued me. More on Europa soon. ;)

Postby montezooma » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:42 am

I think I am getting the hang of this "SCAREadise" theme. This one seems to fit perfectly.

Restoca- I really like your old postcards, you must have quite a collection. great stuff!
demon a.jpg
remember that great song they used to play in the queue line?
demon b.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby restoca » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:06 am

This card certainly looks old, but no date to be found. According to rcdb this ride operated from 1901 to 1910.

^Shane, I have a Demon card similar to yours, but with a different single photo at the bottom, and postmarked Sep 11, 1985.
coneyloop1.jpg
coneyloop1b.jpg

Postby thrillerman1 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Shane do you remember which Marriott's GA park that Demon card is from? I'm thinking it must be from the Illinois park as I really can't remember the California Demon having all that rock work and pics on RCDB only show a rock tunnel right after the first drop for the Cali park.

Postby montezooma » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:14 pm

That Demon postcard is from the California park. You can tell the difference in the rock work. You can see that the California Demon had black and more rounded, jagged rocks. The one in Chicago has rocks that are brown and they are more square shaped. The rocks around the 2nd loop in the California park were removed during the Paramount days.

I was the creative director for the park back then and I fought to keep the rocks there but the maintenance director said that the rebar structure under the concrete was rusted and was in pretty bad shape. There were plans to rebuild the rocks but obviously the money went elsewhere.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Montezooma's Revenge

Postby montezooma » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:12 am

Forgive me for straying from the "SCAREadise" theme, but how could I not post this GREAT post card. Hello, TPR screen name!

Ladies & Gentleman I give you Montezooma's Revenge in it's original, beuatiful form!!
montezooma a.jpg
No Jaguar, Sidewinder or Silver Bullet crowding it's space. Just PURE montezooma goodness!
montezooma b.jpg
At this time, I worked at Astroworld on Greezed Lightnin' and I meant to send this card to the crew, guess I never got around to it.
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING

Postby thrillerman1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:09 am

Creative director? Wow that must've been a cool job Shane.

I think eating too much Halloween candy has been known to induce Montezooma's Revenge in more than a few children. By the way, gorgeous view in that card!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!