TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mark's Postcard Paradise

• Replies 972
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOW! I love that post card from Circus World. You don't really see any pictures of that ride when it was located in Florida. I had the chance to ride it at that park and it was just so intense that it caused me to black out. Great, Great find!!!

Mark, that schwarzkopf coaster at CNE was the Doopel Looping that was relocated to Florida. I believe it is now headed back over to Europe to do the fair circuit. Here is a look at it when it was at CNE.

A neighborhood kid sent this to me in 1976 while he and his family were on vacation. I knew that Opryland had one of those corkscrew coasters and was anxious for his family to return so I could hear of his ride on the Wabash Cannonball.

opry1b.jpg.5d991e07d94685c7dbec1ea95568afad.jpg

The park itself was only four years old at this time. Hard to believe it's been gone more than ten years now.

opry1.jpg.6f888049fc6932695c4ea95ec3b290bd.jpg

Did Barney Bass lose his hat?... Everyone else gets one.

^^ Yes hard to believe OL is gone *period* for most of us Nashvillians. I live less than 10 miles from the former park site and often drive by where it used to be and where a mills mall now sits.

restoca...This is a great card and features what are probably my favorite park mascots ever. I have many awesome memories from this place. Thanks!

^ Shane...haha definitely not the Judge or SE! Looks like SFOG's GASM to me. I wonder if that SF trickery might make this card slightly more valuable.

Although this is not a post card, this greeting card i found is amusement related and quite hillarious. The photo comes from the floral clock at Kings Island. Back in the 70's it was a must photo op for all visitors.

73449281_KIcardb.jpg.f23110d78387b95112fc5bdc0dd6d1a8.jpg

the inside...we may never know the answer.

506648674_KingsIslandcarda.jpg.be370fb0522e137229396fd6e6570ed3.jpg

This is everyone's mom back in the 70's...you know it's true!

458561610_KingsIslandCardc.jpg.bd7866d88ec8d690221c155ebd831299.jpg

restoca...Great autumn colors in that card! You really don't see this type of card anymore where it looks like a painting (is this a lithograph?) - usually it's a photograph, but this type of card is a great set up for the first in the SCAREadise series starting tomorrow.

That Rail Blazer postcard is Great! You really don't see too many pictures of that ride in its stand-up incarnation! That sure was a BAD idea!

Restoca, I am loving your postcard collection. Thanks for sharing!

Mark- I don't have any Halloween postcards so I am really looking forward to seeing the SCAREadise series!

^ Cool card! Wasn't Witching Waves the ride where the "floor" undulated and caused the cars to move forward around an enclosed area? If so, could the cars be steered? This is one of those rides you never hear that much about, and I'm not sure there were ever that many built. Maybe this is the forerunner of modern day bumper cars.

^ Cool card! Wasn't Witching Waves the ride where the "floor" undulated and caused the cars to move forward around an enclosed area? If so, could the cars be steered? This is one of those rides you never hear that much about, and I'm not sure there were ever that many built. Maybe this is the forerunner of modern day bumper cars.

Witching Waves is mentioned and briefly described in this article about the attractions of Coney Island. Other photos I've found do show a steering wheel, however small and ineffective looking. I just don't understand the machinery that controlled the undulating floor...

I found something in my collection that fits your SCAREadise theme. It fits it for two reasons...first, they are all scary creatures and great logos but what is even scarier is that only one of the three has survived...BOO!

I am almost having more fun in this thread than in my attic thread. Please keep these rare old postcards coming!!!

PS. How great is that Screamin Demon logo?!?!?!

KI.jpg.fa15dce6beb4bb546486378332c63dbc.jpg

I am lucky to have all three of these credits!!!

1298095195_KIb.jpg.c47d531c19f852ad4ad0d4ca7928d4f0.jpg

^ That's exactly the spirit I was trying to go for with this SCAREadise series, so that's perfect Shane. It doesn't neccessarily have to scream out Halloween in the card (there's a hint for next week's card)...just be loosely asociated with the holiday. And yes that's a wicked logo!

Edit...I just noticed the card says 1972 yet none of those coasters were built then. How bizarre!

Great link restoca!

This Demon logo is weak compared to that of the Screamin Demon. Also I am not sure why they changed the name from Screamin Demon to just plain Demon. Must have been the start of the KI decline.

This was my first Arrow Shuttle Loop. I really liked the color transition in the loop and the lighting package was guite impressive but compared to the Schwarzkopf model it fails to impress. I still love it just for nostalgic sake. Plus walking up and down all those stairs really helped firm up my a$$

demon.jpg.74d4029fd1a3488a7e5e0df64b73667c.jpg

Another eerie moonlit coaster. I tweaked it as best I could, but the postmark's still not very clear. It reads Sep 12 1927, which means the Big Dipper was probably younger than the little girl who sent this card to her father.

bpb1b.jpg.e312aa07f74c554de2babf10ba4ad237.jpg

bpb1.jpg.957abdf8fcf417841544f63b62a1656a.jpg

Just look at all that open space in front of the Big Dipper!

^ That's exactly the spirit I was trying to go for with this SCAREadise series, so that's perfect Shane. It doesn't neccessarily have to scream out Halloween in the card (there's a hint for next week's card)...just be loosely asociated with the holiday. And yes that's a wicked logo!

Edit...I just noticed the card says 1972 yet none of those coasters were built then. How bizarre!

Great link restoca!

I think the 1972 is the copyright date... after all, the sign is next to it. Like the King's Island name. KI opened in 1972.

I think you must be correct Kingbooba. That would make the most sense.

Shane & restoca...more great additions for the SCAREadise series. I appreciate your full support! I remember The Demon also being my first Arrow shuttle and after riding it thinking how much better Laser Loop at Kennywood (my first Anton shuttle) was. Nice to have our first European postcard addition with Big Dipper. How great to start it with a John Miller no less and a coaster I've always wanted to ride. That turret turn after the lifthill has always intrigued me. More on Europa soon.

I think I am getting the hang of this "SCAREadise" theme. This one seems to fit perfectly.

Restoca- I really like your old postcards, you must have quite a collection. great stuff!

1476107342_demonb.jpg.8cf8901a91ee95bcd541b9cd5d6824d7.jpg

1107274250_demona.jpg.cf29558dcc777053629af0f37771b3a4.jpg

remember that great song they used to play in the queue line?