TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hard Rock / Freestyle Music Park Discussion Thread

I don't know that IOA had that many advanced rides. Other than Spiderman and Incredible Hulk's Launching System, most of the other rides had something like it built at another park before. There could be others that I am not recalling off the top of my head though.

I don't think that Maximum RPM was a "terrible" idea, but one that perhaps could have been held off until the park became more established (if it ever does).

^add the stupid trolley that opened 10 years late, a dueling steel coaster (with a weighing system to make the trains duel) and a log flume with side by side drops and I'd have to say a high % of rides at IOA were advanced.

Was the suspended coaster the first of its kind also?

^Hmmm, Quiet Riot: Metalhead would be quite fitting at the park. We came up with a few other good additions to the park, such as a whole waterpark area called "New Wave", Ozzy's Crazy Train, and Europe's The Final Countdown Space Shot.

The only things I would really consider innovative at IOA were Spiderman, Poseidon's water tunnel, Hulk's Launch, and Dueling Dragons weighing system. Pretty much everything else there had been proven to work previously, and with the exception of Spiderman, every other ride could have still survived just fine if its most innovative part failed to work properly. The only reasons the original trolley ride didn't work were because of questions of evac with all the buildings involved and the company going out of business.

Maximum RPM, on the other hand, I was leery about from its announcement, as I was with Slippery When Wet, but for other reasons, and the lack of those two coasters included in my coaster count pretty much justifies my skepticism. The whole Ferris Wheel lift system looked cool, but wasn't proven by Premier, nor seemed very effective if you can only have 2 cars on at a time because of weight issues. Mack's elevator system works much better, and was already proved time and time again.

Larry, I have no idea what you're talking about with Ripsaw Falls. Maybe you can't remember since SFGAd hadn't run theirs with 2 chutes since like 1993, but Arrow Hydroflumes were all over the 2 side by side drops. I think Hershey's is the only one left...until the boardwalk expands over to there in another 10 years.

IMO Maximum RPM was such a mistake for the park. The park took a gamble on something new. But I think they should have stuck to something that works best, since the park is new and trying to get its feet on the ground.

I agree, mostly because Max RPM really isn't a special ride at all outside of the wheel lift. The layout is really pretty short and uninteresting.

I would say that but IOA was a new park and virtually all of their attractions were basically something new/never before done and it worked out properly.

IOA was backed by Universal Studios, a staple of Orlando for ages, and was in a proven tourist market for theme parks.

Myrtle Beach and Hard Rock Park is an entirely different scenario, imho.

I would say that but IOA was a new park and virtually all of their attractions were basically something new/never before done and it worked out properly.

IOA was backed by Universal Studios' date=' a staple of Orlando for ages, and was in a proven tourist market for theme parks.

Myrtle Beach and Hard Rock Park is an entirely different scenario, imho.[/quote']

Not all parks that are staples for areas for ages (I wouldnt say ages when the original park was just 9 years old when IOA was opened) have secondary parks that are an instant success. I mean look at disneyland and DCA. Now Disneyland has been a staple for ages and DCA never "picked up". So please explain the point you were trying to convey...

IOA was backed by Universal Studios' date=' a staple of Orlando for ages, and was in a proven tourist market for theme parks.

Myrtle Beach and Hard Rock Park is an entirely different scenario, imho.[/quote']

Not all parks that are staples for areas for ages (I wouldnt say ages when the original park was just 9 years old when IOA was opened) have secondary parks that are an instant success. I mean look at disneyland and DCA. Now Disneyland has been a staple for ages and DCA never "picked up". So please explain the point you were trying to convey...

Wow, it was only 9 years? My bad, I thought it was a bit longer then that.

I was mostly trying to explain why in my mind IOA could have more potential success right from the beginning then HRP, and why their new/innovative rides would be less of a gamble.

^

HRP was built on the theory of; if you build they will come.

IOA was built in a market where they were there and waiting for some real coasters in Florida! Not to mention the Hype. Remember before IOA Florida really didn’t have much in real theme parks for the older crowds, thrill crowds. (Lose of Boardwalk n Baseball, and only had Busch Gardens.)

IOA innovation. That word was more about the park then the rides in about a 70/30 sense. All the interactive aspects, etc. Compared to other installations, it’s very technical.

Here’s the problem with Hard Rock. Prices, Location, Theme.

#1. Prices. What are they smoking and pass it along. Drop the prices to 35.00 with a local/state resident price of 30.00. (Concert days price @ 50-55.00) Parking 10.00.

I agree with the evening discounts. Better way to setup work scheduling too. Have more shops and food options in the evenings then during the morning. Many people during the heat of the summer will not want to walk around a concrete park, but in the coolness of the evening, they should be able to draw in merchandising sales.

#2. Location. They based the park on the tourism traveling to the beaches. One huge problem with this. Ok people go to Orlando expecting to hit theme parks, etc. This is not true in the area of Hard Rock. A family (which is what EVERY park wants, families.) going for a weekend, weekly get away are simply looking to relax, stroll shops, beaches, etc. In Orlando Disney, Universal draws, where as Hard Rock Park will simply be a second thought for most. People go to Myrtle Beach who do not want to deal with Orlando.

#3. Theme. I Think the Music idea is awesome, but! Here’s the deal. Hard Rock and what image will that project to families. I bet you money the concept alone has kept many families from visiting this park. Some people don’t like music, rock, etc. The family impression will be punk kids roaming in a park, sex, drugs influence, etc. If your parents restrict video games, music and movies, good chance they might restrict this park to a degree.

If the group who pitched this deal knew any better, location was a backfire from the start especially with the expectations they had and pricing. Hard Rock theme would be awesome as a land added to Universal Studios Orlando, or built as Hollywood’s IOA in sorts.

Like Wild West world (granted far and between for difference) this park most likely has one more full or partial season unless drastic measures are taken.

Larry, I have no idea what you're talking about with Ripsaw Falls. Maybe you can't remember since SFGAd hadn't run theirs with 2 chutes since like 1993, but Arrow Hydroflumes were all over the 2 side by side drops. I think Hershey's is the only one left...until the boardwalk expands over to there in another 10 years.

I don't know what I'm talking about either sometimes.

1993? That was a lifetime ago.

Another thing I was sceptical of when the park opened, was that it had Led Zepplien the Ride as it's staple attraction. Yes it is a big coaster, but I do not believe it is a true staple attraction.

It's also a very unimaginative B&M, with the worst rattle of any B&M I've been on.

We still had fun, but only because we were already in Myrtle Beach. Without a decent hypercoaster or something more interesting, the park is toast.

Another thing I was sceptical of when the park opened, was that it had Led Zepplien the Ride as it's staple attraction. Yes it is a big coaster, but I do not believe it is a true staple attraction.

It's also a very unimaginative B&M, with the worst rattle of any B&M I've been on.

We still had fun, but only because we were already in Myrtle Beach. Without a decent hypercoaster or something more interesting, the park is toast.

I totally agree, after I got all the coasters done during my visit I really felt let down. LZ was hardly re-rideable. The ride itself is pretty rough, and the pre-show makes it annoying after 2 rides, imo.

Some kind of major star attraction, a GCI woodie would be great, is crucial in the near future. They have a good number of coasters, but none of them are particularly stellar.

• 2 weeks later...

We were making final preparations for my son's birthday trip to HRP and went to double-check everything when we found this:

http://www.hardrockpark.com/

Why did they close unannounced (we were looking at the schedule on the website just last night)? Because they filed for bankruptcy today. No word on refunds for season pass holders. At least they intend to re-open next year.

http://www.hardrockpark.com/closinginformation.cfm

Now I have to cancel my hotel reservations. Guess we'll just have to do BGE & KD.