TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Island (KI) Discussion Thread

p. 832: Camp Snoopy announced for 2024!

even though it's a european comany, the order is in the states (and the track fabricated there) so I would ssume pounds. It also seems a bit much for a single track piece to weigh 8 tonnes given that the box section track is hollow.

8tons? 8,000lbs = 4tons and about 4.2tons is about right nothing wrong with the track weight.

even though it's a european comany, the order is in the states (and the track fabricated there) so I would ssume pounds. It also seems a bit much for a single track piece to weigh 8 tonnes given that the box section track is hollow.

8tons? 8,000lbs = 4tons and about 4.2tons is about right nothing wrong with the track weight.

He said tonne, not ton.

8 tonnes = 8,000 kg = 17,600 pounds = 17.6 tons

^17,600 pounds = 8.8 tons. And isn't a metric ton(ne) just 2,200 pounds as opposed to 2,000 pounds (American ton)? That's not too big of a difference in weight...

Either way, I love how bulky and massive B&M track pieces looks like. It's pretty cool.

Yeah, if the weight was in kg the track piece would weigh 8.8tons, if it was in lbs it would weigh 4tons. The latter seems more likely

From http://www.wlwt.com/news/17452194/detail.html?rss=cin&psp=news&gg=true

(typographical errors are from the article, not me )

If you drive past Kings Island, you’ll noticed pieces of roller coaster track stacked in the parking lot.

They’re part of Diamondback, the amusement park’s newest attraction, which is quickly going up piece by piece.

One of the most talked about features, a splashdown ending, was assembled this week.

“We thing that's going to be spectacular, and it'll be one of the elements of the ride that's going to get a lot of attention,” said Don Helbig, a Kings Island spokesman.

Once completed, Diamondback will be more than 5,200 feet long and travel up to 80 mph, with 10 vertical drops, and video is available online to watch its progress and get a sneak peek at the completed ride.

“You could watch animation or look at the model, but when you actually see the pieces put together, it shows you how big and how massive this ride is really going to be,” Helbig said.

A crane will drop the ride’s highest point into place next week, but the gap coming out of the splashdown will be the last piece added.

“That's Piece 129 laying on the ground, and it'll be the last part of the ride that gets put together,” Helbig said.

The ride remains on schedule to open next April.

It looks like the splash area is coming along well. The last hill should be fun going into the sloped brake run. I think the sloped brake runs are quite fun.

the sloped brake run is necessary due to the upward climb into it. If you want to know why, look at Son of Beast. The first time they e-stopped the ride, the train was abruptly stopped in the brake run, and as soon as the brakes released, the train went backwards and valleyed... This is why if there's no space after climbing a hill, you need more of the train going downhill rather than up in the event of an e-stop, or it will valley every time a train gets e-stopped there.

-James Dillaman

Curious about that support by the train tracks being yellow, the rendering shows it (the start of the climb up the second hill) being gray, with the last yellow support being at the start of the first drop.

Kinzel couldn't make up his mind, TTD, or Maverick/Mag color scheme.

I swear does this man has tons of stock in a company that makes the dyes for red or something?

I'm still split on this ride but will wait till next year to pass judgment. Far better looking then the Universal Orlando Maurer Sohne’s Rockit, but we'll see.

yankees15 wrote:

It looks like the splash area is coming along well. The last hill should be fun going into the sloped brake run. I think the sloped brake runs are quite fun.

the sloped brake run is necessary due to the upward climb into it. If you want to know why, look at Son of Beast. The first time they e-stopped the ride, the train was abruptly stopped in the brake run, and as soon as the brakes released, the train went backwards and valleyed... This is why if there's no space after climbing a hill, you need more of the train going downhill rather than up in the event of an e-stop, or it will valley every time a train gets e-stopped there.

-James Dillaman

Well I realize that a brake run does need to have a slight slope in it in order for the train to return to the station if it is e-stopped. What I was getting as was how steep the brake run is. There are very few coasters with a brake run sloped as steeply as this one.

yankees15 wrote:

-James Dillaman

Well I realize that a brake run does need to have a slight slope in it in order for the train to return to the station if it is e-stopped. What I was getting as was how steep the brake run is. There are very few coasters with a brake run sloped as steeply as this one.

This should answer your question.

The very first brakes the train hits on the brake run are permanent magnetic brakes to slow the train down. If the brake run was flat, then the magnetic brakes would stop the train to where it won't move through and reach the tire motors (basically get stuck). The solution is to slope the brake run to pull the train out of the magnetic brakes by gravity and into the controlled block brake sections where the track goes more flat (but not completely, of course).

I'm pretty sure nothing got done today, it was really cool to see the construction site though; when you go in Rivertown, you can look right down into the track and just imagine it flying overhead. Like....it's going to be LOW clearance. Casey, look out for that snake!

-JZ