Photo TR - East Coast Tour 2008 - The C-Jay Perspective

Pre-Game to the Last Day! Knoebels P-10
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Photo TR - East Coast Tour 2008 - The C-Jay Perspective

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:11 pm

East Coast Tour 2008 - The C-Jay Perspective

Day 0: Pre-Game (Below)
Day 1: Coney Island (Below)
Day 2: Six Flags New England 1, Quassy and Lake Compounce (Below)
Day 3: Six Flags New England 2 and Playland
Day 4: Six Flags Great Adventure
Day 5: Six Flags America
Day 6: Busch Gardens Europe
Day 7: King’s Dominion
Day 8: Morey’s Piers
Day 8: Morey’s Piers slides/ video and Clementon Park
Day 9: Hershey Park
Day 10: Dorney Park
Day 11: Knoebels

Hey all. Well, hard to believe it's over! A fantastic trip! Looking over the pictures as I do this mini Photo TR really brings back the trip and is definitely helping me deal with it being over.

Before I begin, let me just say that I resigned myself to not taking many photos because let's face it, Hanno and Dan just do it better! Ok, in addition to Hanno and Dan, there were certainly a lot of others with much better cameras and some phenomenal shots, all which you will be able to check out in the official updates I'm sure, along with the official DVD! I for one can't wait!

My aim was basically to cover some fun and craziness as I experienced it and to share with the forum and add to the official East Coast update by filling in some blanks. If any of my pics are used, I would be of course honoured and bow down to he who holds the bags of mystery (aka crap)and authors the official East Coast Tour thread!

Hope you enjoy!

First up, those of us who arrived early enough spent the prior day at SFGA.
IMG_1682.JPG
After a brief airport meet, we arrived at SFGA. A truly beautiful day and the park didn't seem overly crowded. We're here pictured by our custom transportation, the Mini and the Prius (aka the Gheypri as apparantly it is really either 'ghey' or 'treehugger'). This was truly an amazing way to meet some the people who I'd become very close with over the trip as great friends. Not pictured - Drew and Sam joined us later in the day.
Viewed 6933 times
IMG_1683.JPG
Yes, we waited a good hour and a bit for Kingda Ka. Truly worth it to see the look on Olivier's face for his first anticipated wait for launch. Chris is just a pro at it! We met up with Drew and Sam in line.
Viewed 6930 times
IMG_1684.JPG
Ah, the skyride. Roy56 Rocks!

The rest of the day was spent mainly on El Toro and many many re-rides on Nitro, one my newest favourites, which is hard to admit since we just got the amazing Behemoth at my home park.
Viewed 6930 times

Day 1 Group Meet up and Coney Island

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:54 pm

After dropping off the 'Gheypri/ Treehugger-mobile' at the airport on the first official day, I headed to the hotel. Those of us who just couldn't fathom getting up early to go to Sesame Place were hanging out at the hotel waiting for the bus. We took over the banquet area entrance.

Once the bus was ready, it was off to Brooklyn and Coney Island. The Manhattan skyline was incredible that night.

You can see my more detailed Coney Island pics in my Photo TR: Jason Takes Manhattan.

*sideshow photos from coneyisland.com.
IMG_1686.JPG
Very cool ElToro A-Jay was of course getting his hair done by the very talented Chris. You know, we could have been at Sesame Place instead! :)
Viewed 6991 times
IMG_1687.JPG
I ended up colouring in part of a bus sign that Cora is working on here. Cora and Taylor, thanks for letting me help out and having full faith in my ability to stay inside the lines!
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1688.JPG
Nick basically supervised. A very cool and laid back dude and thank goodness for that. He wasn't too tough on us to get the signs done before the bus left.
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1689.JPG
Yah ok...who knows when that'll be done :) Regarding the hair, there's a great story and happy ending there but I'll leave that to the hair owner or hair stylist.
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1690.JPG
Ah Brooklyn, how sweet it is! Full of conveniences. You can pick up your chicken and then some!
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1691.JPG
I have no idea why but I decided to ride the Cyclone in the back. Not the best idea. For the second ride I moved right up to the front. For those who didn't know already, I fear drop towers terribly, so skipped this one out and said no to the peer pressure. Now that I look at the next few pics, here is another group of people that made the night at Coney Island and the entire trip truly amazing. Starting off with Kim, Kerry and Cora
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1692.JPG
David, Eli and yes..there was Max, uhm..nothing else needs to be said :)
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1693.JPG
Now here's the stuff! Chris, Nick and Jay. Nick was just as afraid of drop towers but did this one and became the biggest drop tower whooore :) Not pictured but still on the ground - Olivier, John, Jenn, Scott and Gary.
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1694.JPG
Dino's famous wonder wheel. Of course, we went for the sliding car. This pic was easy to take and for a moment, we really forgot that the car will eventually slide and look like it will fly right off the wheel.
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1695.JPG
Ok, here we remembered that the car slides forward and actually looks like it will fly off the wheel.
Viewed 6990 times
IMG_1696.JPG
Max being hyper active and doing something crazy...surfing as the car slides to who knows where.
Viewed 6990 times
donny08.jpg
Ok, so after that, we had to do all that you must do at Coney Island after the Cyclone and Wonder Wheel. Nathan's and the Sideshow. After some awesome hot dogs we went to check out the side show theatre. Some highlights included the three-fingered/ claw man followed by this dude. He did some crazy juggling with knives and such and MC'd the show.
Viewed 6990 times
steph-electric chair.jpg
This chick was struck by lightning many times and as such, could manipulate electricity. She sat in a live electric chair and lit a torch that was rubbed on her tongue and also lit a lightbulb with her fingers. Hot? Still trying to figure that out.
Viewed 6990 times
insectavora.jpg
This one used to eat insects and is known at times as Insectavora. On our visit she was the Queen of Kerosene! What she did with flames, her mouth....yah ok you get the picture, it was hot...literally. Our bus was leaving shortly after her show so a large group of us left the theatre. The queen of kerosine was sad that we left...I think Kerry filled in the details in the official East Coast thread haha

So, one last ride on the Cyclone and on the bus headed to New England. That's it from Brooklyn and Coney Island!
Viewed 6990 times

SFNE Day 1, Quassy and Lake Compounce

Postby rollin_n_coastin » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:37 pm

What a crazy schedule! It was well worth it. Day 2 for example was jam packed with three parks!

Six Flags New England Day 1, Quassy (aka the Aussie Speedbump) and Lake Compounce.

Other highlights of SFNE and the trip to date:

An interesting trend:
-Note Christiana's hair - it defies the laws of physics and has not moved to date.

Other cool peeps:
-Met my awesome roomie Luko
-Met Eric and Candace
-Met Drew's awesome tormentors, Chris and Daren
-Met Trent, Jake, Luke, Ben and other Aussies and Brits who joined up with Baywatch Taylor, Jenn and Scott
-Met the 3rd Jason on the trip and obviously like all Jasons, a very cool guy.
-Met JakeG and EricM, a section of calmness at the back of the bus and a ton of fun (they were never picky about where to go and when)
-Met the famous Hanno and Erik Johnson and crew at SFNE
-Also really cool seeing Brent and "N-G" Adam and Matt from Behemoth Bash
-Oh, and it can't be forgotten that Olivier and I met our soon to be awesome Q-Bot partners in line at Superman ROS, the flying Dutchmen themselves, Selwyn and John.

Drinking Night 1:
-Given how aggressive the schedule was, drinking nights were far and few between. I think we only had two main ones in total!
-The bar next to the hotel rocked. Thanks to JasonM, Drew, Olivier Eric and Luko for the drinks and company.
-This night of course was only a warm up for the Dorney Hotel bar! More on that later…
IMG_1698.JPG
Superman ERT! Could a morning get any better? It was running a bit rough but once it warmed up. whoooaa! Some sweet Intamin goodness.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1699.JPG
Front row! Where else?
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1700.JPG
Spectacular.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1701.JPG
Hmm..Jay has that "That was soooo much better than last night" look.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1702.JPG
Ok, the happiest front car I've ever seen. Brent, glad you made it up there, no front car is the same without you man! We met front row Behemoth!
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1706.JPG
"I for one, will never admit that this is better than Khan".
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1707.JPG
Requisite Superman pose!
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1708.JPG
After ERT it was time to check out the park. We were talked into Wii bowling with Porky and Petunia.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1709.JPG
The winners! Team Petunia rocked it. Ok, it was mainly Kerry and Petunia. I only managed one spare.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1710.JPG
With Day 1 at SFNE done, it was back on Studio 54 Party Bus and off to Quassy family park.

So, here we have one cold, one hot and Jenn....either looking for something on the floor or ...well...I dunno.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1712.JPG
"I will still never admit that Superman is better than Khan"
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1713.JPG
Roomies..chillin'
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1714.JPG
"No! You will not take my beer hat of coolness!" Drew, that hat rocks!
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1715.JPG
A$$ credit!
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1718.JPG
Arriving at Quassy. A great small family park where the motto is that you don't have to spend a lot to get a lot (of fun). Well I mean look at that mouse. Classic is the only way to describe it, even the bolts holding it together.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1719.JPG
Regardless, it was definitely a lot of fun. It really felt like it was either going to fall apart or the car was going to fly off the track.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1724.JPG
My first kiddie coaster takeover! The coaster with the lift hill of death. Hopefully someone filmed it because the thump of it trying to get us all up the hill was priceless.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1722.JPG
Whoot whoot!
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1723.JPG
"This ride was very very very scary, but I liked it thiiiiisss much!"
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1720.JPG
Interpretive dance Kerry styles, now say her name!
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1725.JPG
My awesome roomie Luko with Eli and Kerry.

That's it for Quassy, a small Aussie speedbump (as Trent would say) in the way of getting to the good shtuff....the oldest amusment park in America, Lake Compounce.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1728.JPG
Back on the bus. The coolest t-shirts...ever.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1730.JPG
The one and only Fred, our driver and mentor offering sage advice and support...the real Captain of Party Bus Studio 54..all bow.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1711.JPG
Captain Scott trying to film. I think he fell on David's lap trying to move around while Studio 54 was in motion?
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1733.JPG
Zoomerang boomerang takeover! The smoothest one I think we have all ever been on. A lot of fun.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1732.JPG
One of my favourite flats..the Rotor. Others will have tons of pics and videos of us trying to enjoy this after riding the turbo-charged waveswinger.
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1734.JPG
Screamin' Swing take over!
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1738.JPG
"Now that we're all on this thing..I'm kinda bored"
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1740.JPG
John isn't at all bored. He's got a pole....and it's got a horse attached...
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1739.JPG
Drew, Chris and Daren
Viewed 6948 times
IMG_1744.JPG
Finally, what we all came for..

I rode Boulder Dash for my very first time at night in the dark. Until you try, you'll never know what you're missing....or what's coming (bruises, fun, screaming. laughing, air, speed, etc etc).
It was truly an amazing day!

Stay tuned for SFNE Day 2 and the no longer Surprise Park, Rye Playland.
Viewed 6948 times

FIRE HAIRED BOY

Postby krazekiddd » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:44 pm

Ok, what's the deal with everyone having horrid photos of me! In all seriousness, I'm having way too much fun in David's lap. Apparently I didn't fall cause um, I have my blanket on us. :devil:

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby KerryB » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:24 pm

I'm lovin' the TR, Jason! I really wish I had come up early for the pre-game day now. I missed out on extra fun and getting to know you guys even earlier. I am also at 148 coasters now...If I had gone the pre-game day I would be over 150!

Oh well, I did need the nap time I managed to fit in. And I got to have dinner with some really fantastic guys! David, Eli, John, and Gary welcomed me to TPR with open arms and many laughs that very first dinner. David greeted me loudly as promised, so that was worth it all. I MISS YOU GUYS!!!

I'll look forward to more of your updates. Keep up the good work!
(PS..Olivier, what if anything eventually surpassed Khan?)

It's A Small World Fanboy

Postby Hang And Bang » Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:51 pm

Large pole + horse = happy John! The only way that ride could've been better is if the pole was labeled "Smoker's Pole". :lolr:
BTW what's up with me looking like the freakin' Crypt Keeper in the Zoomerang pic?! Oh well, I love it anyway!
I miss you, too, Kerry!!! Eating authentic philly cheesesteak while actually in Philly was a great start to the trip!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby downunder » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:28 pm

I'd forgotten about Quassy, I rode the Mouse with Rich (who is a cop) and he said he was never more scared on a coaster, I was just whatever - my indifference to near death experiences is not good. I've joked around while I'm lying in a pool of my blood waiting for an ambluance with parts of my body bent where they shouldn't be, I think I told them to prank call my foster parents with news of my demise.

Little Dipper at Quassy, that should be called Lumbar Eraser along with High Speed Thrill Coaster, I got five cycles on that, lovely guy that ride op.

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby HerBlackWings » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:24 am

Yeah, great. And I wasn't even in THE cerebral palsy seat.
cerebral superman.jpg
Viewed 6828 times

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ernierocker » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:58 am

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that was a little frightened by that Wild Mouse at Quassy. Great TR so far. Looking forward to the rest.

FIRE HAIRED BOY

Postby krazekiddd » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:13 am

Hang And Bang wrote:The only way that ride could've been better is if the pole was labeled "Smoker's Pole". :lolr:

Seriously, I couldn't stop laughing when we disovered the Smoker's Pole! Um, yeah, I totally read it backwards the first time I saw it. :P

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive