Shawn's Worldwide Adventures! PTRs From My Travels

Coaster In A Mall p.17 & Voting Ends Today For India Contest
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby dino » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:55 am

What's up with park operations (staggered opening's, running single trains)? Seems to be a theme with asian theme parks (sans Disney). Anyway beautiful theming, and I love that pick axe entrance, very cool.
-Gabriel

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby wierdo135 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:56 pm

coasterking2981 wrote:Wow great pictures of the indoor mall! That coaster looks great! Was there a long line to ride it

Read his beginning description. It says that the park was dead. I do believe that would mean no...

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby PoisonedPirate » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:08 am

^ I don't really understand coasters/rides inside a mall - I mean you go to a mall to shop and people who shop a lot in malls are women and they don't traditionally go on coasters, they would rather shop lol! If you're doing a big girly shop you don't take your kids so I don't see where the audience is... maybe thats why they are always empty?

Obviously kids go on them but that would only be the weekend - are these mall rides cost effective? Am I missing a huge point here?
I've cut my carbon emissions so that Button, Hamilton and Kobayashi don't have to!

Coaster Count: 60
Coney Island 21.08.14

"Been Around The World And Realized Only Stupid People Are Breeding"

Three Small Parks in Southern China!

Postby packfanlv » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:26 am

I just got back from 8 days of riding camels and staying with nomadic families in the Mongolian countryside. (Fantastic BTW!) I apologize for the lack of recent updates. Today I bring to you three small parks in Southern China.

Park #1: Honey Lake Amusement Park located in Shenzhen, China is home to two coasters. One of the two coasters (The one over the lake) has been known to be SBNO for several years, but for some strange reason the second coaster was also not operating both of the times we visited. Because of this I didn't bother to pay admission to enter the park.

Park #2: Donghu Park in Shenzhen, China is a small amusement park located within a green area that houses the cities large reservoir. In addition to several flats and two coasters, a few minutes away from the amusement section is an alpine slide. On the day I visited, the kiddie coaster was not operating and the employee told me it had been broken for a long time.

Park #3: Jing Ying Amusement Park in Guangzhou, China is a place I stumbled upon on accident. It is located in a very famous park in the city and wasn't even listed on RCDB until I submitted it. Since we didn't know it existed, we visited on a rainy day and I wasn't able to ride it because of the weather.

So to recap, I will show you five coasters in this update, but I was only able to ride one of them and it was a crappy Golden Horse rip off spinning mouse! :cry:

The next update will be from Chimelong Paradise in Guangzhou, China. Thanks for the great comments! Keep 'em coming!
Shenzhen 017.JPG
The first stop on our tour is Honey Lake Amusement Park. It is located about ten minutes by foot from the subway in Shenzhen.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 028.JPG
Actually this is the real park name, but for some reason all of the coaster sites have adopted the other, so pick your favorite.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 020.JPG
Here is a park map. For some reason I didn't get a picture of the SBNO coaster over the water, but there is another thread on TPR with it if you are really interested.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 022.JPG
This is the coaster that is supposed to be operating. It is a pretty standard coaster with two loops.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 321.JPG
You can see it from the very drab park entrance.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 319.JPG
And from across the street.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 267.JPG
Next up we have Donghu Park. The park itself is large, but the amusement section is quite small. We thought this was it originally, but it turned out to be a wacked out zoo.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 272.JPG
But we finally did find it along with this Chinese Amusement Park staple ride.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 275.JPG
Oh yes and they have the exact same rip off spinning wild mouse as all of the others. Oh joy!
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 277.JPG
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 279.JPG
Sexy.......NOT!
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 292.JPG
The other coaster in the park is a junior dragon coaster. As you can see it was broken and the car was sitting in the middle of the track.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 290.JPG
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 286.JPG
While the park is really small and didn't have much to contain us, it was clean and pretty well maintained.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 300.JPG
To get a better look we hopped on the ferris wheel.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 298.JPG
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 296.JPG
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 288.JPG
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 294.JPG
They also had a roller skating rink, but I couldn't wait to get to the alpine slide.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 316.JPG
Take me up!
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 315.JPG
Its a long way to the top!
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 311.JPG
The only thing that stunk was they had the employee ride down in front of me so I couldn't get very fast.
Viewed 5521 times
Shenzhen 312.JPG
But it was still a lot of fun!
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 047.JPG
Next up we have Jing Ying Amusement Park which is located in a beautiful large public park in Guangzhou.
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 051.JPG
The park's one coaster is a mouse called Speed Slide.
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 058.JPG
Unfortunately the coaster wasn't operating because of the rain. (No matter how hard I tried to convince them to let me ride!)
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 059.JPG
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 063.JPG
Just like Donghu, this park is really nice and well maintained, but small.
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 060.JPG
None of the rides were operating due to weather.
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 068.JPG
This track is for a self powered monorail type ride. These are also very popular in Chinese theme parks.
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 053.JPG
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 074.JPG
When leaving the park we stumbled upon a few hiking trails that had animal figurines along them.
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 071.JPG
Some were nice
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 073.JPG
and others need work
Viewed 5521 times
Guangzhou 076.JPG
But the whole area is quite beautiful! I hope you enjoyed the update.
Viewed 5521 times
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

TPR's Friendliest Guy

Postby Big Mike » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:45 am

That was really cool to read Shawn!!

I am always afraid that I travel somewhere and there is a coaster not listed either, then I find out and say I was just there and missed it lol.

I enjoyed reading this!

Peace, Big Mike

ONLY 22 COASTERS LEFT IN THE USA TO RIDE!!!

COASTERS RIDDEN: 1,309

PARKS VISITED: 447

Born when stamps were 2 cents

Postby OldJJman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Shawn,

Thanks for the continued updates! I find your travels quite amazing!

Under one of your pictures you wrote:

"Unfortunately the coaster wasn't operating because of the rain. (No matter how hard I tried to convince them to let me ride!)"

I'm assuming that you don't speak Chinese. (I could be wrong!) Do many of the Chinese people you've encountered speak English? Or do you end up making begging gestures like I probably would (only to still be denied)?

JJ

Postby packfanlv » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:03 am

Big Mike: Thanks for gracing my thread with your holy presence. Seriously though, after visiting these parks and being disappointed, my wife put a new rule that we couldn't visit any other parks in China that had less than three coasters. So far I have followed the rule, because it takes so much time and energy to get to some of these smaller places when you are traveling independently.

JJ: English in China is very rare. In fact, the few people who know anything speak just a few words usually. For the most part we use hand signals and rely on pictures and getting things written down ahead of time, but the Chinese are also very poor at non verbal communication as well. I guess after traveling for as long as we have, you learn to adjust and the situation of not being able to communicate is less stressful.

As for in that specific circumstance with the coaster, another employee was trying to help me convince the ride op to run the coaster but failed. All I did was show enthusiasm and say please with my hands, but the ride op just smiled and shook his head. It was raining hard and we were literally the only ones in the park, so I think they just chalked me up to being crazy!

Thanks for the great comments guys!
I write about how to travel the world for pennies on the dollar at Miles To Memories!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:38 am

Very nice seeing these pictures. Your giving us a preview of the TPR trip next month. Thanks.
My fundraising page: http://www.tntbob.com

Chimelong Paradise in Guangzhou, China

Postby packfanlv » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:16 am

Chimelong Paradise is located in Guangzhou, China which sits about an hour north of Hong Kong. The park itself is perhaps China's best example of a typical western style amusement park. It opened in 2006 with five coasters and recently added a B&M dive machine.

While Chimelong Paradise has a small amount of theming, it doesn't go over the top like Happy Valley. What the park does do is provide a lot of rides and a nice pleasant atmosphere in which to enjoy them. They do have staggered ride operating hours which I don't like, but have so many rides that the lines hardly ever get out of hand.

With all of that said Chimelong Paradise is by far my favorite theme park in mainland China and only second to Hong Kong Disneyland to the parks I have shown in this thread. In short, it rocks! Enjoy the trip report.

P.S. The day we visited was very grey, so some of the pictures didn't turn out well. I hope you enjoy the rather large update.
Guangzhou 109.JPG
Chimelong Paradise is part of a large tourist resort that is conveniently located off of the Guangzhou Metro.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 110.JPG
This advertisement in the subway gets me excited for the day.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 113.JPG
The subway stop actually brings you to the back entrance of the park. (Where the dive machine is located!) This proved to be quite beneficial.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 116.JPG
Chimelong back entrance. Shawn Reece is excited until I tell him that he can't ride the dive machine! =-(
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 119.JPG
The brand new "Dive Coaster" as it is called really dominates the back of the park. Here is the turn around into the splashdown.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 121.JPG
This was my first dive machine experience and I was excited!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 122.JPG
Where is the entrance? Oh that way!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 180.JPG
Oh here it is! I couldn't have said it any better myself!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 192.JPG
Just inside the queue.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 371.JPG
Here is a look at the train.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 178.JPG
And now for some random photos of the ride in action.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 185.JPG
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 186.JPG
Going through the Immelmann.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 188.JPG
The second drop goes into a tunnel before emerging and making a turnaround into the splashdown.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 345.JPG
Did I say splashdown?
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 187.JPG
Ok last picture of Dive Coaster. IMO the ride was fun but not life altering. I had high hopes with this being my first dive machine, but left a bit disappointed.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 142.JPG
The park's other major coasters is aptly named the 10 Inversion Coaster.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 145.JPG
As its name implies the coaster goes upside down ten times. It is a clone of Colossus at Thorpe Park.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 147.JPG
The coaster does five heartline rolls which IMO is too much!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 257.JPG
This is before my first ride. (Jasmine wouldn't go back on it!)
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 263.JPG
Just to give you an idea of how intense this ride is, here is a sign directly outside of the exit. (And plenty of people were using this area)
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 280.JPG
Not my favorite coaster.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 283.JPG
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 149.JPG
After 10 inversion we headed to the only coaster in the park we could handle.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 153.JPG
Not bad for a kiddie ride.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 161.JPG
Well if kiddie coasters aren't your thing then they also have an Intamin Halfpipe!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 167.JPG
The Chinese girls just love it!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 166.JPG
And they play this interview with Walter Bolliger in the queue for all you nerds out there!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 243.JPG
They also have one of those horrible Golden Horse spinning mouse coasters. One picture is enough!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 289.JPG
The park's last coaster is named Motorbike Coaster.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 291.JPG
This Vekoma motorbike is much much much better than the Intamin version I rode at Dreamworld in Australia.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 287.JPG
This ride actually has a little speed and is a good family ride. (Of course with the 1.3m height requirements families really can't ride it!)
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 136.JPG
Here is a picture of the bikes if you have never seen this type of coaster before!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 132.JPG
Ok now its time to see some more of the park.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 130.JPG
The park has a ton of kiddie rides.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 131.JPG
They also have the Chinese staple fire truck team work ride.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 169.JPG
Like I said pleasant but not overdone.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 174.JPG
Unfortunately with horrible height requirements, Shawn Reece was stuck on kiddie rides for most of the day.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 285.JPG
Chimelong also has plenty of rides that go in circles.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 351.JPG
Jasmine was glad to see Mexico was represented.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 357.JPG
Here are a few more rides.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 312.JPG
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 314.JPG
This frisbee was top notch. It is the best one I have been on!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 321.JPG
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 363.JPG
They wouldn't let Shawn Reece do the sub ride by himself so I brought an umbrella.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 141.JPG
Before closing I have to talk about Chimelong's shows. We saw three and they were all very good. The first one was a lumberjack show.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 227.JPG
It was USA vs. Canada. This is the USA team.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 229.JPG
And here are the Canadians!?!? They don't look like Canadians to me.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 237.JPG
The whole thing was a lot of fun and the Chinese seemed to eat it up!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 202.JPG
They also had a second show that we stumbled upon on accident. It had aerobics.
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 218.JPG
and this. Also a lot of fun!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 324.JPG
But there big show is a rip off of Water World at Universal Studios. (Only better!)
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 326.JPG
I spy a credit!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 334.JPG
The show has jetskis, boats, hovercrafts, submarines and more. It is high budget and high energy!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 339.JPG
What can I say? I liked it!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 317.JPG
Now I leave you with a few random shots of Chimelong Paradise!
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 171.JPG
Viewed 5268 times
Guangzhou 195.JPG
Alright then. I think that is it. Anyone who is going to Southern China needs to go to Chimelong Paradise.
Viewed 5268 times

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby dino » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:28 am

Nice update. Chimelong Paradise seems like a cool park with a nice selection of rides. Even the shows seemed like they were really good. Oh and I liked the shot of you with the umbrella, had me laughing :b .
-Gabriel

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!