TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official "TPR Europe Trip 2008" Thread!

^See, your response says to me that you're just into very different sorts of rides. Look at our pictures, everyone has their hands up on GeForce and is just having an awesome fun time! On Maverick I feel like you need to hold on to avoid getting your skull crushed. Yes it's a fun good ride, but not even in the same league.

I didn't have that problem with Maverick, but I've only ridden it in the very front and I'm tall enough for my head to be well above the restraints. Liz rode next to me and hated it for the reason you describe. She only likes very smooth coasters and also ranks EGF as #1.

I still like Maverick a lot more than every hyper I've been on except EGF, which I like a lot more than Maverick.

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We (Towers Times) visited as part of our Tipi Trouble trip to Phantasialand, Holiday Park & Europa-Park in August 2007 and hated the place - we left at 3.30pm it was so bad and we didn't even rate EGF

One of the reasons why we tend to visit Holiday Park in the afternoon/evening is that I feel that for one, the park doesn't have enough to offer to spend a full day, and two GeForce seems to get better later in the day.

So arriving in the morning, you'll experience a park where you can do everything they have to offer in about an hour or two, and a less intense version of GeForce.

If you ever have a chance to go back, I would reccomend getting to the park around the time you left. I think you'll find your day will be MUCH better then.

--Robb "And this is why you should stick to TPR to plan your trips!" Alvey

^ Same. I probably saw Les Mis about 20 times when I was "stationed" in London for work during the mid 90s. I was sad to find out it doesn't play hardly anywhere anymore.

I haven't seen a show in about 8 years now. I need to get more!

--Robb

Yeah, it's only being done in schools and community theatres in the US these days. I saw an excellent production of it in Philadelphia a few weeks ago.

And omg, Lego Les Mis is awesome - thanks, Erik!!

Thank you KrautWithAltitude for the answer several pages back to the question I had about the helmet wearing rider. Taking on-ride video with a helmet cam makes more sense than what I was coming up with for an excuse as to why he was wearing a helmet.

I rode EGF the week before TPR and let's put it this way: my only ride on it left me wondering what all the fuss was about? I rode in the front of the back car and beside the wonderful first drop, there was no ejector airtime or "out of control" feeling. The airtime was merely floater and the ride just slowly and loudly made its way around the track.

One explanation maybe... I noticed their Vekoma Corkscrew did not even use original Vekoma wheels, they were instead made by a local german company.... Maybe like Six Flags (who started using Premier Rides to get cheaper replacement parts for certain coasters...), they buy cheaper wheels that don't perform as well and bring out the real Intamin wheels for events and ERT? I'm probably wrong, but its the only reason I can see why a steel coaster would have 2 radically different personalities!

^ That´s an interesting theory. Maybe someone should go an compare that heap of pictures we have of EGF. Though I understand that the very hot weather and maybe freshly replaced bearings and lube could do a lot. Or could it be that adrenaline and expectations make most of the difference? Hmmm...

Norman

My experience tells me that the trims slow the train down an equal speed no matter how fast the train is going heading into them. I believe the magnetic trims slow the train down a set amount of speed not to a set speed depending on how much distance the magnetic pads are away from each other. So if the train is going 3 to 4 MPH slower when it hits them, you'll feel them more.

GEEK TIME!! (Please ignore this post if you have no interest in magnetic braking systems...). I did my Physics coursework on induction braking this year so I understand at least the basics of it

Due to various boring laws of induction, the braking force excerted on the train will be proportional to the speed of the train as it enters the brakes, this can be assumed as a percentage drop in speed (where the percentage is determined by the distance between the magnets). Basically the brakes dont slow you down by a set speed, but you're right in that if you go in faster, you come out faster

^ That's what I figured. It just seemed like we hit the final brake run with so much more force and speed than we did last year. And I really doubt they changed how "hard" the trims were on, it was just that the whole ride overall was running better.

--Robb

Yeah, you could still feel them but you were going fast enough once you were through that it didn't really matter. I remember after riding Goliath saying "that's what the final bunny hops on G-force should feel like", and then when we rode it this time around, they did!

I Love EGF just because the powerfull first part. The last time I was there on April 30th. It was raining half off the day so I doubt it ran superß. Especially the last ride with only 2 people in the train, we crawded through the turnaround and made it barely over the bunny humps. After that ride EGF was closed because the low speed. (doh!)

But still just because of the rain and really low speeds after the trims, the first 2 hills really kicked ass as usual. That still makes me love that ride. My friend who was on the trip did love the first 2 hills but, because of the low speed after the trims, SiSta eventually ended up higher than EGF. Oh well, we'll go back some time and hope it's going to run better that day

My experience tells me that the trims slow the train down an equal speed no matter how fast the train is going heading into them. I believe the magnetic trims slow the train down a set amount of speed not to a set speed depending on how much distance the magnetic pads are away from each other. So if the train is going 3 to 4 MPH slower when it hits them, you'll feel them more.

GEEK TIME!! (Please ignore this post if you have no interest in magnetic braking systems...). I did my Physics coursework on induction braking this year so I understand at least the basics of it

Due to various boring laws of induction, the braking force excerted on the train will be proportional to the speed of the train as it enters the brakes, this can be assumed as a percentage drop in speed (where the percentage is determined by the distance between the magnets). Basically the brakes dont slow you down by a set speed, but you're right in that if you go in faster, you come out faster

Wow! another episode of talkin brakes with Dave. It's like I am back in Europe again. Make sure you tell Robb the difference between Rita and Desert race.

Oh and Dave.....Traysh.

^ What is a future structural engineer doing learning about brakes? Our stuff is not supposed to be moving.

If a faster train is being slowed by a higher percentage than a slower train, won't the speed that they leave the brakes be closer than when they enter the brakes?

sorry, i had to make a post out of topic... but i`ve read that you going to make dvds or videos... i made videos and animation too. so if you need some one who produces you dvd-menus or other animations... ask me

i`ll love to do it in my free time. i always wanted to cut a movie or make animations with rollercoaster theme but hadn`t had any material to do this

^ What is a future structural engineer doing learning about brakes? Our stuff is not supposed to be moving.

But when everything goes wrong, surely it would be a good thing to know how to stop it moving

If a faster train is being slowed by a higher percentage than a slower train, won't the speed that they leave the brakes be closer than when they enter the brakes?

Yes, but the faster entry speed will still leave faster

There are more variables with magnetic brakes such as:

- The air gap between the aluminum fin and the magnets. On coasters that use the same brake fin for slowing and stopping (block control) they loose brake force when the brake fin is wearing.

- The temperature because the magnetic braking energy is transformed into heat. The lower the outside temperature, the more brake force is generated.

Another interesting fact on magnetic brakes is that they can not stop a train completely to standstill. For multi train operating rides, a safe block control is only possible with mechanical brakes.

The temperature because the magnetic braking energy is transformed into heat. The lower the outside temperature, the more brake force is generated.

Erik, could this have been part of why people thought the trims on EGF seemed more forceful last year? It was apparently a colder day than this year. I thought the trims seemed to have very little effect on the speed of the train this year.

The temperature because the magnetic braking energy is transformed into heat. The lower the outside temperature, the more brake force is generated.

Erik, could this have been part of why people thought the trims on EGF seemed more forceful last year? It was apparently a colder day than this year. I thought the trims seemed to have very little effect on the speed of the train this year.

Yes, the outside temperature has a very very big influence. While the temperature has also negative influence on the coaster speed while the internal bearing friction on the roadwheels increase at lower temperatures. So the train is slower, and the brakes generate more brake force...