TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fuji-Q Highlands Discussion Thread

But since when do rapids ride have to be low capacity? They can be built to high capacity when a park needs it, as evidenced by the ones at DCA, IOA and AK.

Dunno, I've just never thought of rapids rides as being low capacity.

This ride is nothing like the ones in DCA or AK.

In the two times I have been to Fuji-Q, I have yet to do everything at the park because of horrendous park operations. The wild mouse probably had no more then 150 people in line and it was a 45 minute wait. They were running only 3 cars.

I sort of pictured a hill more like the ones you would find on a launched water slide, since I think it would be really hard to have spinning rafts attach to coaster track without being brought to a complete stop in the middle of the ride. Plus, this ride is sort of a hybrid between a rapids ride a water slide anyways, so that makes more sense to me. I'm just speculating of course, so I guess we may find out in time.

Oh, I get it. When referenceing DDRSF, I forgot about the track system it was on, but meant the bunny hill. Was thinking more waterslide with a bunny hill.

You have a good idea to with the up-hill water coaster system since, like you said, this is all possible next gen. Can see a modified conveyor working, though unsure water jets or magnet systems would work as well to get it up.

Thanks for mentioning Wild Adventures, while I'm thinking about it. I've meant to check that place out, even though it hasn't gotten good reviews. You got me curious about it's rapids and how it's designed.

But since when do rapids ride have to be low capacity? They can be built to high capacity when a park needs it, as evidenced by the ones at DCA, IOA and AK.

Dunno, I've just never thought of rapids rides as being low capacity.

This ride is nothing like the ones in DCA or AK.

In the two times I have been to Fuji-Q, I have yet to do everything at the park because of horrendous park operations. The wild mouse probably had no more then 150 people in line and it was a 45 minute wait. They were running only 3 cars.

Yeah, but people were talking as if this particular choice of ride is inherently low capacity, and hence bad for the park.

But, as you have said, the issue is poor operations. There is no reason this ride couldn't be high capacity, but of course it probably will only be operated at a fraction of its potential.

These rides look cool, but I'd miss the actual element of rapids on a rapids ride. Perhaps they could build a hybrid version where you encounter a section of the standard rapids at the beginning of the ride, before climbing the lift hill onto the waterslide section.

As for uphill flume sections on water rides, The Powderkeg Flume (or whatever they are calling it now) at Carowinds use to have a small upslope after the first drop. It was removed at some point in the 80s. You can see it in the pic below, where the red arrow is pointing:

members.aol.com/K9660R/aeriala.html

Just saying it can be done without a coaster track involved...

An uphill section could be easily done, just as long as you have water flowing over that part of the track/slide, and as long as you have enough momentum. Rafts like those have a lot of weight, therefore they should have enough momentum to be carried uphill for a little bit.

Seems like the Japanese have far more patience than the average American parkgoer.

If they're regular patrons of Fuji Queue, they would have to be more patient.

Tripsdrill's rapids ride also features a whirlpool, but unlike Phantasialand's River Quest (which I think is an excellent ride), theirs is just scenery (no drop).

• 2 years later...
Another exciting project for next year is Gerstlauer’s largest roller coaster. The still-unnamed Launched Euro-Fighter will be a massive attraction and located in Asia. “We were very pleased with our first Launched Euro-Fighter, which opened at Hansa Park in 2009,” said Gerstlauer. “From a guest perspective, the launch and beyond-vertical drop are outstanding. From a technical standpoint, this coaster will be the debut of our four-tube track, which will save our customer’s considerable expense when it comes to foundation costs.

Link

Here are some photos:

Link

Edited by robbalvey

Ok, so watching that video actually made me WANT to go to FujiQ...just to laugh and have fun again! I figure I'll spend my time going from Thomas Town to various ride lines to interview our poor trip participants on camera about their day!

Based on those pictures, the begining looks similar to Saw's indoor section. Makes me wonder if this one has an indoor begining as well...

The other thing I wonder is how much track is going to have to be replaced by the end of the first season, considering Saw and Curse Of Novorgod both had problems with track wearing out after one season. I hope Gertlauer has sorted that problem out now.

Ok, so watching that video actually made me WANT to go to FujiQ...just to laugh and have fun again! I figure I'll spend my time going from Thomas Town to various ride lines to interview our poor trip participants on camera about their day!

I want to go just for that awesome Thomas Town! That Thomas darkride looked awesome! (SFMM should've taken notice when they build their Thomas Town. Of course, being SFMM they didn't take notice.)