TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PTR Oasis Lanes and Western Playland 6/18/08

Our first stop of the day was Oasis Lanes in El Paso, TX for a quick ride on their Cobra Coaster.

We then went to check out the former site of Western Playland in El Paso. About 2 years ago they moved the park to Sunland Park, NM.

Here we are arriving in New Mexico which is state #45 visited for us. Only 5 more to go!

The 7-10 evening shift was spent at Western Playland's new location in Sunland Park. It was Dollar Night where you could either pay $1 admission and $1 per ride or $9 for POP. We went with the POP. They also had many food items for $1 which we took advantage of such as drinks, snow cones, popcorn, pizza slices, and hot dogs. Most of those items were regularly between $2.50 and $5.00 so it was a good deal.

There wasn't much to do at this park for 3 hours, but they do have some room to expand so hopefully they'll do that in the future. They certainly do have some beautiful scenery at the park with all the mountains as a backdrop.

Looks just like the old entrance!

El Bandito coaster:

Miner coaster:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is the first trip report I have seen of my job and home park lol. I am supervisor of the arcade and ride sections at Oasis Lanes. And Im pretty sure is was probably the worst arcade you have ever been too lol. We are now under new management and with that said nothing is as it was months ago I'm sad to say .

As for Western Playland they are planning on expanding. I have worked for the owner in the past and in a few years we should be expecting some new wood

The Drop Tower is only 90 feet tall. The owner took the 90 foot version over the 120 foot version to keep it more family friendly.

One major complaint I have about Western Playland is the lack of atmosphere. No music etc. It is one boring park IMO.

^Lol guess I should have specified. Apparently the reason why Western Playland moved was because the city denied the expansion for a new wooden roller coaster. There were other reaons but that was one of the main. The owner still planned on building a new wooden coaster during the moving process so we'll see in time what happens

Wow!! Is Right !! Thanks for posting these pics of Western Playland it helps to get El Paso on the map!!

Playland was the park that started it all for me and my family as far as amusement park and rides. I have many memories of the old park. A Part of my childhood died when they relocated the park. It's sad to see the old entrance.

Looks like you guys are doing the Texas/NM trip I took last year. Its great to see some of the parks a year later with new additions. I didn't make it to the new Western Playland but it looks liks I will have to get out there one of these weekends. Great reports!

• 3 months later...