Shane's Amusement Attic

Update:1998 Fiesta Texas 10 year master plan that never was.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I poop golden school busses

Postby astroworldfan1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Thanks Shane! You deserve a break! I can't wait 'til the Attic comes back!

-Tatum

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby TXmisfit » Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:53 pm

Wow, I remember seeing the prototype footage on television when it was first released, it struck me as impossible to corkscrew a swinging suspended then, and it does even more now, I can imagine one or more of the shocks failing or downrods cracking and then POW here comes a 1000 lb fiberglass bucket with 600lbs of people in it careening towards the crowd, Hey its Bowling for Park Patrons! I can certainly see how the Bat would have been the cause of someones death or serious injury had it continued to operate. I think it was a wise choice to close it and avoid all the carnage, Hey I know, lets tie a playground swing to the bumper of a Ferrari and have the driver do repeated, High speed U turns till the chains break..... No but seriously, I 've ridden both Ninja SFMM and Vampire @ Chessington with the original trains, and I felt kinda unsafe with all that mechanica over my head, not to mention the vinyl tarps/diapers to keep our hands out of the gears oh and to catch the oil drips...... Um, I love thrills, but safe ones, Give Me a B&M Invert any day, I dont wanna die for fun...... Wow, Im pretty mouthy for a new guy, Huh?

BTW, Super Groovy footage Shane, very cool to see

Full Fledged Meat Enthusiast!

Location: Phoenix, AZ, San Mateo, CA, A Southwest 737, a Continental 737, A United 737...

Postby QueerRudie » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:17 pm

First: I want to say the single Biggest THANK YOU to all those people who posted these great finds on one of the rarest of all coasters- and SECOND only to the Crystal Beach Cyclone as one I'd build a time machine to go and ride-

I've been researching (So far quite nearly impossible) the Bat to make a model of the Bat in all it's glory. It is TRULY a shame that no park has taken the initiative to build an updated version of this amazing ride- the simple geomertry and use of high speed curves, and the sensual and subtle actions of the train movments are certainly a rarity- and if the videos posted are anything to be judged by, a graceful ride no less. Having ridden a majority of the existing suspended/'swigning' coasters produced, I have yet to see even the Mighty BBW do things that the Bat did- and I truly love BBW.

Perhaps S&S Arrow should REALLY REALLY REALLY Consider reading this thread- and perhaps someody should get off their duff and get to work on one- A rebuild of BAT would be a treasure that the coaster enthusiast community as well as the general public searching for an ever increasing thrill threshold. Mabye Knoebels, purveyors of classic coastering could introduce the first 'new' BAT as their first 'preserved' steel coaster?

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby TXmisfit » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:13 pm

It would be amazing to see the Bat done again with banked turns and a workable lasting and more reliable suspension system, and It is very cool that these historical materials are available to show us the progression from invention to trial, to park installation, to alterations in the industry, and finally to the viable working lasting rides we have today. Bravo to the keepers of these examples, So interesting to see the progression, and how far the engineers have come by learning from their own work. :)

Heres some Info from Wikipedia

The Bat was a state-of-the-art coaster that was only open sporadically. After SBNO (Standing But Not Operating) for an extensive period of time, on November 9, 1984, park officials announced the ride would be dismantled. Over the next two years the ride was removed.

The problems that plagued the ride and ultimately led to its closure included:

Excessive stress on the supports and track due to unbanked track.
Excessive stress on the wheels due to brake fins being mounted at bottom of the swinging cars.
Excessive stress on the trains' shock absorbers due to violent swinging.
Hairline cracks on wheels and chassis.

Arrow Dynamics went on to perfect the suspended coaster, starting with AstroWorld's XLR-8 in 1984. XLR-8 operated successfully for 2 decades, however was demolished after the closure of AstroWorld. XLR-8 was quickly followed by Busch Gardens Williamsburg's Big Bad Wolf. The Big Bad Wolf was, and continues to be, a success, due in large part to lessons learned from The Bat. However, it was also plagued with excessive downtime and an embarrassing grand opening delay in its first season.

So fascinating to see the progression

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

WSMK

Postby herschel » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:53 pm

thanks so much for the post.

i was lucky enough to visit WSMK in 1976 (well -- i guess that goes without saying; when ELSE could i have visited) when i was about 7 or so, on vacation in Atlanta. like someone in one of your previous posts, i could remember very little about the place -- despite being a huge fan of all the Krofft shows, the park had precious little to do with its TV counterparts. (the pinball machine ride left a stamp on my brain, but little else.)

in fact, after a good 20 years of telling people about the park -- especially in the pre-internet years -- i met with so little affirmation that this place had actually ever existed, i became convinced that i had dreamed the whole thing... that is, until i read about it in a Krofft book in the 90s. talk about obscure.

hopefully with the upcoming Land Of The Lost feature film, there will be a renewed interest in all things Krofft, and maybe more information will start to resurface. thanks again.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby CoasterGuynLB » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:41 pm

So i am just getting my life back to normal and i decided to see all the stuff in the attic. WOW!!!!

Still being a newbe i had to post, such great stuff i don't know how i am going to get to see everything.

Cant wait until you get back. :mickey:
:mickey: :cool:

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby wierdo135 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:05 pm

wow thats where the six hour line for gemini found its place

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Anton Schwarzkopf

Postby montezooma » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:27 pm

Summer Bonus Post

Hey TPR-ers-

I hope all of your summers have been as good as mine. I have been busy hitting several parks with my kids; SFMM (love the retro Revolution trains), SFGAdv (LOVE El Toro!!!!), Hersheypark (ehh Fahrenheit was just ok but love the park), Legoland (my kids still love legos) and Lagoon (hey it is my home park). We have also been incorporating other activities into our summer vacations such as Comic Con, River Rafting, Mountain Biking, camping and boogey boarding at the beach.

Of course the highlight of my Summer was the TPR trip to Europe!!!!! (thanks Robb & Elissa) I had such a great time and visited some really great parks with great friends.

One thing I have really missed this summer is posting to Shane’s Amusement Attic. I am thrilled to see that this thread has made it into the top 20 most visited! So as a summer bonus, here is one of my most favorite things I have in my attic: 2 Schwarzkopf ride catalogs. ANTON ROCKS!

I have one big trip planned for the end of the summer: Canada’s Wonderland, Darien Lake and Niagara Falls. Then I will be back with Season 2 and weekly updates to the attic.

I am gonna start off with just a couple of quick shots of summer fun then the Schwarzkopf goodness. Hope you enjoy and keep the comments coming. I am not as big of a attention whore as Big Mike (lol) but still love to here your thoughts on items posted.

Shane
Comic Con.jpg
Me and my sons West & Fisher attend our first Comic Con. Lets just say it was "interesting"
elvis.jpg
an Elvis stormtrooper makes an appearance at Comic Con in San Diego
magic.jpg
We had a GREAT day at Magic Mountain, even with the 2 hour wait for X2. I gotta say it again I love the retro Revolution train!
Gold Rusher.jpg
West & Fisher are like their dad, they like the old-school coasters.
Legoland 292.jpg
Legoland's new splash battle. I was dissapointed in this ride compared to some of the others I saw over in Europe
Lift.jpg
Our summer travels also took us to the mountain resort of Sundance Utah.
mtn bike.jpg
mountain biking...
ropes.jpg
Fisher does the ropes course
shane ropes.jpg
river raft.jpg
and of course no trip to the mountains is complete without river rafting!
Schwarzkopf.jpg
Now onto some Anton goodness. Me with Anton a long, long time ago
Anton 1.jpg
Anton 2.jpg
Anton 3.jpg
Anton 4.jpg
Anton 5.jpg
Anton 6.jpg
Anton 7.jpg
Anton 8.jpg
Anton 9.jpg
Anton 10.jpg
Anton 11.jpg
Anton 12.jpg
Anton 13.jpg
Anton 14.jpg
Anton 15.jpg
Anton 16.jpg
Anton 17.jpg
Anton 18.jpg
Anton 19.jpg
Anton 20.jpg
Anton 21.jpg
Anton 22.jpg
Anton 23.jpg
Anton 24.jpg
Anton 25.jpg
Anton 26.jpg
Anton 27.jpg
Anton 28.jpg
Anton 29.jpg
Anton 30.jpg
Anton 31.jpg
Anton 32.jpg
Anton 33.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:35 pm

It's still an amazing amount of stuff you've posted here, Shane.

And Europe and water rafting, too!!! :wink:

I love the sheets with the different flats shown on them. Takes me back to a couple I think I nearly lost my lunch on, LOL.

Great stuff, and hope the rest of your summer is going well.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

"Can I get clamshells out of this ATM?"

Anton Schwarzkopf

Postby montezooma » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:03 pm

Anton Schwarzkopf

Here is the second catalog I have. From the looks of this, I need to give my scanner a good cleaning, sorry about that :cry:

I sure with Six Flags over Texas would get retro with the ShockWave the way that Magic Mountain has done with the Revolution. It looked so good when it first opened all bright white with those brilliant blue trains!
Schwarzkopf 1.jpg
Schwarzkopf 1a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 2.jpg
Schwarzkopf 3.jpg
Schwarzkopf 3a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 4.jpg
Schwarzkopf 4a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 5.jpg
Schwarzkopf 5a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 6.jpg
Schwarzkopf 7.jpg
Schwarzkopf 7a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 8.jpg
I have now riden every shuttle loop except for the two originals. I need to take a trip to Africa and Brazil. Montezooma is still the best!
Schwarzkopf 8a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 8b.jpg
Schwarzkopf 8c.jpg
Schwarzkopf 9.jpg
This is one Schwarzkopf ride I am dying to ride
Schwarzkopf 9a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 10.jpg
Schwarzkopf 10a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 11.jpg
Schwarzkopf 11a.jpg
Schwarzkopf 11b.jpg
Schwarzkopf 12.jpg
Schwarzkopf 13.jpg
Schwarzkopf 14.jpg
Schwarzkopf 15.jpg
Schwarzkopf 16.jpg
Schwarzkopf 17.jpg
Schwarzkopf 18.jpg
Schwarzkopf 19.jpg
Schwarzkopf 20.jpg
Schwarzkopf 21.jpg
Schwarzkopf 22.jpg
Check out Season 5 of
Shane's Amusement Attic
NOW PLAYING
New Season, New Posts, New Logo...Old Stuff!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!