TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Scott's Coaster Closet

^ i was being sarcastic. I would take the impressive bat over the Vortex any day. One of my favorite things of the Vortex is the station...and, Hello, that is the only thing left over from the Bat!

I think that the Bat II takes the form of Flight Deck. It wouldn't have surprised me that if Kings Island was not owned by Paramount at the time that Top Gun may have had a name that harkened back to the Bat somehow.

Thanks so much for posting these rare Arrow pictures. I couldn´t believe my eyes that they really believed in the suspended corkscrew!

I am always torn between admiration and raising an eyebrow whith Arrow. They really had this can-do attitude and they must have been morally and financially depressed when so many of their ideas fell flat for various reasons.

TWISTER

Although I prefer roller coasters above all other rides, there are a few flats that intrigue me. I'm not one for spinning rides, but for some reason, I CAN tolerate the Twister. Maybe it has something to do with the motion not being constant. Who knows ...?

My best Twister ride EVER was at the Iowa State Fair in the mid-90s. That operator was so devious that I actually thought I was going to get a nosebleed! It was that insane.

Sadly, these rides are becoming way too rare.

Not long ago, I did one of my Amusement Today Scrapbooks on the Twister. Along with photos submitted by Mark Rosensweig and others for the piece, I also got a nice stash from the Allan Herschell museum including the nice catalog pages. Though AH Co.invented the ride, Chance continued to produce them for a while after acquiring AH in 1971.

t8.jpg.a8cc5b574e1be0d6eec3aa81de5b8d82.jpg

M. Rosensweig

1602093709_t7markRosensweig.jpg.32d1a68e89201173b253d8d2d1663cae.jpg

M. Rosensweig

t6ChanceTwister.thumb.jpg.9102c60f34b3cb1104ea34366b97ce9b.jpg

Australia & Williams Grove Park

AH_Twister_ClemontonLake.jpg.f8e937a69d9534d74082cdeb570923e5.jpg

Clementon Lake Park 1950s

152805495_T4AH_1955_Twister.jpg.b172311f3dafb33ca24702677b793d27.jpg

At the AH factory in 1955

715868309_T3-AHTwister3.jpg.c459e969abd9afbc27f165899455dfa7.jpg

AH model with wooden flooring

1904861143_T2twistercatalogpage2.thumb.jpg.74e61a0f3043839ba72e7beb1a683ca3.jpg

526077894_T1twistercatalogpage1.thumb.jpg.4dd3a6d7425397f6edf9a03be5607942.jpg

Edited by SeaWhippet

Actually SFMM's Bobsleds ended up at SFoT.

SFGAd's Bobsleds went to SFGAm and then to Great Escape.

Opryland's went to a field in Indiana to rust

Cedar Points bobsleds are now a Disaster.

The only Intamin Bobsled still in it's original location is the one at De Eftling. (and I guess you could count Cedar Points too)

I don't HATE the Intamin bobsleds; I just wish they'd taken all their technology and created something a bit more entertaining. Mack was on the right track ...

-S

The Bat was an awesome ride. It could be downright scary if your first ride happened to be at night. I always tried to arrange such a treat for my virgin Bat friends

And yes, had they banked the track on the turns, the Bat might still be with us today. That was its main flaw. Did they learn nothing from AlpenFlug?

If I had a time machine ...

I think what everyone seems to fail to notice or mention is that non-banked track made that ride much wilder than its offspring. If the Bat was banked, it would surely still be here, but it wouldn't have been the same ride.

Because of the suspension systems on the cars (i.e. all those shocks) banking would force the cars to anticipate the turn, making it much more tame, which is what you have today.

I understand what you mean, Den, and you're right. If the track had been properly banked, it would not have been the same wild ride that it was. BUT ... it would still have been FAR more thrilling than XLR8 due to the fact that the Bat's downward grade was relatively steep and constant after chain release on both lifts. I feel it would be superior (thrill-wise) to KI's Top Gun if it had survived.

Furthermore, the final drop on BGE's BBWolf remains one of the single most intense segments on an operating coaster anywhere. That little speck of violence always reminds me of the Bat.

-S

Wiener Looping is BACK! ... or it will be when someone buys this treasure. You're all getting a sneak preview of the advert (below) that will appear in AT's May issue. Wieland Schwarzkopf is offering the ride: "Completely rebuilt, New updated electronic controls & train."

I hope someone in North America snatches this gem as it's one incredible ride. It'll be even better if these "updated" trains utilize only the lap bar as Anton originally intended. I rode it at Circus World without those dreadful OTS accordions and it was a delightful experience. Not so much when I took a spin in 1989 at Oktoberfest ...

BTW ... Thriller found a home in Mexico. More on that wonderful news in a few days!

-S

2MPatenburg.jpg.09edb272a630ec910db7649a6102dae5.jpg

M.Patenburg

MPatenburg.jpg.57a363baddd5b0454a939d9d173dc759.jpg

M.Patenburg

W4.jpg.8be21fe7693d6ac9b5e9e7acd177540b.jpg

At Circus World

1135796374_wcircus1.jpg.c30097b0b3520630add8f21bef10ee82.jpg

At Circus World

WLcircus2.jpg.82cf1c3019b238b17d3667f5096ad170.jpg

At Circus World

267222242_WLad.jpg.0e87932eadc33cd3b1ad577cc657b815.jpg

Wow! I'm such an Anton fan! I hope this makes it in a U.S. park!

Same here! With all Anton's coasters ending up in Mexico (who would've thought such a thing could happen?!), it would indeed be grand if Wiener Looping would come back to American soil.

This shuttle would fit so well on one of Morey's Piers or ... even Carowinds! That park was bloody robbed when White Lightnin' went to Africa. I can just see it: Wiener Lightnin' !

I'm just sayin'

GREAT news. I've been reading loads about Anton Schwarzkopf and Wiener Looping looks like an amazing creation of his - I'd love to ride myself someday.

GREAT to hear about Thriller/Texas Tornado/Zonga too. I was so scared that might end up as scrap metal. TPR needs to plan a Mexican trip to ride all these Schwarzkopfs someday!

I miss that ride!!!

Flamingoland taking it out made me very sad. But at least it'll now have another chance to thrill once again.

Now all we have to do is guess which Mexican park is buying it.

Well, I'm hoping it either returns to the German fair circuit, or finds a home somewhere at a park or an FEC in the US.

I really miss this incredible ride.

-S

Wiener Looping is BACK!

I hope someone in North America snatches this gem as it's one incredible ride. It'll be even better if these "updated" trains utilize only the lap bar as Anton originally intended. I rode it at Circus World without those dreadful OTS accordions and it was a delightful experience. Not so much when I took a spin in 1989 at Oktoberfest ...

I also rode it at Circus World!!!!! I loved that ride, scary as a kid but man once you rode it you were hooked!!!!!! Give it a nice home here!!!!!!in the us!!!!!

Wow! I'm such an Anton fan! I hope this makes it in a U.S. park!

Same here! With all Anton's coasters ending up in Mexico (who would've thought such a thing could happen?!), it would indeed be grand if Wiener Looping would come back to American soil.

Huge fan here also!!!! and I love this ride! I am so glad to see it all refurbished and back on the market. Would love to see it here in the states but somehow I doubt it will be back on American Soil. Too wild for todays so called ride parks and I doubt an FEC could afford to maintain this. I'll start booking my flights to Mexi..

I know where Zonga's new home is!!

http://www.feriadesanmarcos.gob.mx/isla.aspx

It's at the bottom of the page, and thanks to Six Flags Houston, a member translated the Spanish to English.

Emociónate al límite con la nueva atracción (New attration with high emotion extreme) extrema ¡Tsunami!, (Tsunami) única montaña rusa de cuatro rizos en México. ( the only rollercoaster in mexico with 4 loops)

-Tatum

I know where Zonga's new home is!!

http://www.feriadesanmarcos.gob.mx/isla.aspx

It's at the bottom of the page, and thanks to Six Flags Houston, a member translated the Spanish to English.

Emociónate al límite con la nueva atracción (New attration with high emotion extreme) extrema ¡Tsunami!, (Tsunami) única montaña rusa de cuatro rizos en México. ( the only rollercoaster in mexico with 4 loops)

-Tatum

Has anyone ever been to this park? I wonder if the ride is operational.

What would be even better is if the new owner was knowledgeable enough to understand how Six Flags ruined the dynamics of this ride and restored Thriller's original first drop and first two loops the way Anton and Werner intended.

I can dream ...

Huge fan here also!!!! and I love this ride! I am so glad to see it all refurbished and back on the market. Would love to see it here in the states but somehow I doubt it will be back on American Soil. Too wild for todays so called ride parks and I doubt an FEC could afford to maintain this. I'll start booking my flights to Mexi..

Hey, there's pleanty of room for it here.

boomers.jpg.922b18a93af107217f9c1a5872a13f2a.jpg

I grew up visiting Virginia's Lakeside Park. Oddly enough, there was no lake. However, this sweet little traditional park had everything a kid could want: plenty of classic flats and a kick-ass woodie - Shooting Star.

The Shooting Star (Dont'cha just LOVE that name?!) was the John Allen/PTC design that inspired the SFSL Screamin' Eagle. Personally, I preferred the SS over the SE. It was just a little meaner. The ride was always well-maintained and always painted in what I considered (back then) to be proper woodie colors: red track,white structure, blue handrails.

Though I had already forsaken Virginia for South Florida, I was terribly saddened when Lakeside closed forever in 1986. This was a great park with a wonderful wooden coaster that should still be here.

Most of these images come from brochures and my own visits in the early 80s, while three were part of a spread I did when I was ACE News editor a hundred years ago. I think these were shot by Michael Horwood.

Somewhere I have Super-8 movies (POV!) of the ride. I'll post those if I can dig them out of the bottomless Closet.

Enjoy,

-Scott

542301535_LSS8x10.jpg.35bb906e110897b1d0afff5f63d3b849.jpg

Approaching the first drop -- a little slice of heaven for a ten-year-old boy...

1921632090_LSStwocurves.jpg.41e689e476201faa0fd6e004ab0c22fc.jpg

"Shooting S _ar" final turn just before home brakes. I think the "H" fell off ...

(M. Horwood)

1415717800_L4444444.thumb.jpg.65deaace6a297441423e0013a076d93c.jpg

Flats and more ...

LSS5a.jpg.e6c1f7d24359d477ddba39a8c1433a0a.jpg

LSS5.jpg.439785c6d7553f6e8511c011028dd404.jpg

Back turn.

1131446667_LSSfirstdrop.jpg.f2a9840b7af1c36f12a18c10608d185e.jpg

First drop. Airtime ahead!!!

LSS4.jpg.74447a12c34736b12a16fc3d6ec66047.jpg

Baby got back ... but STILL couldn't release a train. Like CP's Blue Streak, SS was a true BOY ride.

Lss1.thumb.jpg.abfe3669c00141249f21a102f54babbc.jpg

Incoming! Classic hand brakes.

L3.jpg.c019cb0d021b61be022b3b0072939c18.jpg

Flying Scooter!

L2.jpg.a946784555fb28b5d449802e1526e834.jpg

Flats

L1.jpg.1ff284919b46371211b2572c9402cb69.jpg

Park train and Shooting Star first drop

1459059271_LSsign.jpg.a23a3ec624ff93f65e3bd09094ffd9a1.jpg

One of coolest park signs ever!

1610933633_LSSANewscover.thumb.jpg.6dfec44352bfd4c2181798f8ab71bf44.jpg

M. Horwood shot for ACE News cover

LSLogo.jpg.ecd948fb59852a5d7873087de20c029f.jpg

Hey, there's pleanty of room for it here.

D-

I think Boomers is the perfect place for the Wiener ( ). I can just see it drawing the attention of drivers on 95.

At least you have the Hurricane to ride any day you wish. When I was based in FLL, the closest woodie was the Starliner in Panama City.

-S

Scott-

I love the post on Lakeside. You really can see the similarities between the Shooting Star and the Screamin Eagle in that first picture. I really miss the days of the red, white and blue painted wood coasters.

PS- I think the Weiner Looping should go to Lagoon in Salt Lake City

Scott-

I love the post on Lakeside. You really can see the similarities between the Shooting Star and the Screamin Eagle in that first picture. I really miss the days of the red, white and blue painted wood coasters.

PS- I think the Weiner Looping should go to Lagoon in Salt Lake City

Oh yeah, Shane, the Shooting Star was very similar to the Eagle ... the footprint more so than the profile. The SS's airtime was abundant, especially on a hot summer night after a long day of hard running. I really miss this ride.

BTW, I agree that Lagoon would be a perfect fit for Wiener Looping. Every park should be so lucky to own three of Anton's treasures.

At least you have the Hurricane to ride any day you wish. When I was based in FLL, the closest woodie was the Starliner in Panama City.

-S

OK, here's the SAD and PATHETIC part of my life: I've been here for 7 years, and STILL haven't ridden it.

-S

OK, here's the SAD and PATHETIC part of my life: I've been here for 7 years, and STILL haven't ridden it.

WHAT?!

Ok, you have a mission: go there today and give it a spin, then post a pic of yourself in the train to prove you did it!