TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR: Jahan's Awesome TPR-Midwest Trip Report!

arrowfanman

Oh—and I got the Laura boob credit, as well. (I’m pretty sure there’s a photo of a petrified Jahan getting the credit somewhere out there).

Somebody would have posted it sooner or later.

This one is better:

"What happens in the back of the bus...gets posted!"

--Robb

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great trip report Jahan look's like you all had a blast, You put alot of thought and detail into this report.

If you thought they could crank out the train's at SFGAM on SUF you should have been their when the Shockwave was their. With three train operation they could crank out the trains fast with out much stacking.

Anyway it was great reading your TR.

Hope to see you on a future trip or if you go to SFGAM let me know I will be their. Are you going to post any high resolution photo's of the trip.

Keep up the great work.

Wow!

Really great reading!

Especially the bit about Voyage! I mean, the ride does kick butt. It's really not a complaint, I find. It's more of a 'yep, there really is a coaster than can kick my ass!'

I find that Raven, well, I remember it with the 'buzz bars' and I've ridden too many times. I'm a Legend 'fanboy' - maybe I can start a site! I find it the most re-rideable and has the most variety of all 3. Plus the firey purple trains mmmm....

Thanks for the report and (dirty) pics!

I totally agree with your review about Raging Bull. It was fun, but not anything special or intense. I think it's pretty overrated. I also would agree that Viper was a surprise hit for me. I wish CGA was half as good as SFGAm.

I think Raging Bull is only overrated because at one point in it's life it DID live up to the hype. But over the years those trims seem like they have gotten harder and harder. It's a shame really because you get awesome airtime on the first drop, and then the rest of the ride, right when you feel like you're going to get that awesome airtime again, it's taken away from you.

There is still some airtime on the rest of the hills, but it's nowhere near what it used to be.

I'd still take Bull over SFMM's Titan or Goliath since I'm not a fan of "helixes" making up the majority of the ride and I'd take Bull's multiple floater hills over the Giovanola's single floater hill, but that's just my take on things.

Personally, SFGam is one of my favorite Six Flags parks. While it doesn't have quite as good of a coaster selection as Great Adventure or SFOG, it's got one of the nicest themed sections in any Six Flags park, and I find that the operations there (other than Ragin Cajun that day) are better than most other parks in the chain. And also, their Hurricane Harbor is awesome!

--Robb

huh! Once you get over the fact you are in a Six Flags park, Viper totally rules. It had seat belts. Then it didn't. Now it has seat belts. The ride (along with awkward American Eagle seating) has the only PTC seats/lapbars that are comfortable. 2 out of 100 rides you DON'T have to worry about your lap bar FALLING down.

Viper, I believe, was built by Martin (M&V???) anyway, the ride has only improved since opening. Major airtime, side g's. it's great. That lame first drop, yes.

And Whizzer! Classic. Too bad about your Revolution (just kidding, I'd do anything to have it back!)

And American Eagle is better than all throught the 80's and early 90's.

And Raging Bull. Basically a slower Nitro or Goliath(take ur pic) but better layout.

Blue Streak, until Raptor, WAS the CP experience, IMHO. It really, still could be.

I've been banned from Coaster(suckup)buzz, but I will still do my article (ACE probably won't take it) on being a Blue Streak 'boy' 92-93 (RIP).

The ride once was the coup-de-gras(???) of woodies. Beatifully painted and maintained, all without a computer!

Ahh... Thanks PTC.

It was an honored thing to be a Blue Streak guy.

On good days, we would get 1,300 per hour. What is it now? Anyway, I sure miss the big blue 'benches'....

bs1.JPG.ea3b1b325b13f887e0e8a289d622ade2.JPG

Glad you had fun at Kings Island! Always wanted to visit there!

You are so right about Son of Beast though. I looked at the layout for the ride and it is anything but inspiring. Besides the drop, nothing really seems to redeem itself in comparison to the original Beast. It just does 2 big helixes and then is over... and the loop (which was what made it kind of special) is now gone. I wonder what the GP are saying about it! They must be like... wtf?

You are so right about Son of Beast though. I looked at the layout for the ride and it is anything but inspiring. Besides the drop, nothing really seems to redeem itself in comparison to the original Beast. It just does 2 big helixes and then is over... and the loop (which was what made it kind of special) is now gone. I wonder what the GP are saying about it! They must be like... wtf?

I think SoB is okay. It's fun for a front seat ride, just kinda speeding all over the place in circles and what not. On a RARE occasion, if you sit in the back seat; you can get some nice air over the first drop. Most of the GP are too scared to ride, or don't care. It's all about Firehawk and the Beast!

But me, you'll find me on Drop Zone

Great, great TR Jahan. Brings back the memories of a really fantastic trip.

I think you awesomely captured it in great detail and I'm now anticipating the DVD to remind me even more.

Roll on August for even more TPR fun!!

The Beast is a ride that I had heard of for quite some time. I even remember being in the fifth grade, years before I could call myself a “coaster enthusiast”, and reading a fictional children’s novel based on the ride!

I read The Beast book! I think I still have it at home somewhere. The coaster is haunted and when some kids stow away and when they ride it after close, they travel back in time to the 1930s to an amusement park called Firelight Park, which supposedly Kings Island was built on top of. It was written by RL Stine, which explains the weird plot line.

Not only that, there's a sequel too! That one, I believe, is at home as well. It's really second verse, same as the first.

I remember getting these books when I was just starting out as a little coaster enthusiast and reading them over and over again.

Amazing TR Jahan, but I expect nothing less.

On good days, we would get 1,300 per hour.

I loved watching how that ride used to be run.

[Train stops in unload]

"Get out, get out, get out!!"

[Train moves forward, stops in load]

"Get in, get in, get in!! Pull down your lapbar!"

[Train begins moving out of station 5 seconds later]

Guests: "Wait! My seatbelt!"

"Don't worry about it! Fasten it later!"

[Attendant checks each lapbar as the train moves past him toward the lift]

Repeat.

It was quite the operation to watch, but I knew it couldn't last.

The Beast is a ride that I had heard of for quite some time. I even remember being in the fifth grade, years before I could call myself a “coaster enthusiast”, and reading a fictional children’s novel based on the ride!

I read The Beast book! I think I still have it at home somewhere. The coaster is haunted and when some kids stow away and when they ride it after close, they travel back in time to the 1930s to an amusement park called Firelight Park, which supposedly Kings Island was built on top of. It was written by RL Stine, which explains the weird plot line.

Not only that, there's a sequel too! That one, I believe, is at home as well. It's really second verse, same as the first.

I remember getting these books when I was just starting out as a little coaster enthusiast and reading them over and over again.

Amazing TR Jahan, but I expect nothing less.

That was seriously the worst book over. Plot? Lol, they were threatened to be turned into fish and needed to eat caramel to go back or something. Even as a 5th grader, I was dissapointed.

Thanks for the updates Jahan! I freaking love reliving the Midwest trip over and over again! So much crap that happened that no one understands unless you were there.

SOB was my fav ride I did love that they take your photo before you start the chain lift. Get the happy people before you crush their bones

Glad to see I'm not the only cool person on hear who read The Beast. It was like Goosebumps, but with a roller coaster.

Imagine my shock years later to discover that The Beast was indeed a real ride.

Jahan, as always, great trip report.

^ There are some things from the trip that some of us would rather forget about. Although I highly doubt that gaining the Laura boob credit is something Jahan would like to forget.

Jahan, that was an amazing trip report! Brought back alot of memories, and was quite the tease for the upcoming DVD.

On good days, we would get 1,300 per hour.

I loved watching how that ride used to be run.

[Train stops in unload]

"Get out, get out, get out!!"

[Train moves forward, stops in load]

"Get in, get in, get in!! Pull down your lapbar!"

[Train begins moving out of station 5 seconds later]

Guests: "Wait! My seatbelt!"

"Don't worry about it! Fasten it later!"

[Attendant checks each lapbar as the train moves past him toward the lift]

Repeat.

It was quite the operation to watch, but I knew it couldn't last.

I hear ya - but it lasted through 1993! I was so freakin lucky to work on that ride those last 2 years. I think up until a couple major accidents in the 80's, that's the way many coasters were run.

We actually used to announce that the seatbelts are optional! The thing was if someone was screaming about the seatbelt (that MANY people for some reason, had NO CLUE how to fasted) we could stop it on the lift. Then walk up there and fasten the seat belt for them. It was work, but at least it was a temporary manual shutdown, not on record as a 'shutdown'.

The trick was to get the train out of the station (and clear the block switch, located right outside the station) before the other train's back car entered the brake run shed (start of the block). If you missed it, the ride set-up. This would push the brakes all the way up to stop to the train. So then it was an 'official shutdown'. We would have to call park op, then they would call maintenance and send out Therm or Mike to 'pull out the pin' of the brakes to let the train go.

There were times when we would go manually hit that switch to prevent a shut-down (that was stupid and dangerous). But man we had that ride going! We would always really try to NOT have a shut down and also compete with shifts to see who could get the highest PPH. Sometimes we hit 1300, I do remember at least once hitting 1400. The ride at is now, I'd be suprised if it hits 800.

Quite often we 'rode the running board' sometimes all the way to the lift. This was also not preferred and of course we got reemed out for doing it. It was amazing how we'd get calls out of no-where to stop doing certain things. One time I got chewed out b/c I got on the lift speakers to tell someone to stop throwing trash out of the train. It was silly, but man they watched us like hawks!

We shut down at least every 2 days to go up and tell someone to NOT stand up. I'd rather do that than have the lap bar set up it has now.

Magnetic brakes would have been a better choice, but what they did to the trains is just plain dumb and boring.... just lame man!

I think SoB is okay. It's fun for a front seat ride, just kinda speeding all over the place in circles and what not. On a RARE occasion, if you sit in the back seat; you can get some nice air over the first drop. Most of the GP are too scared to ride, or don't care. It's all about Firehawk and the Beast!

But me, you'll find me on Drop Zone

I'm not one to give a ride the benefit of the doubt for providing a marginally better ride according to some altered circumstance. I don't care if the ride is amazing in the back-right seat, at 11:30 in the morning after a light shower, with a modest breakfast in your stomach, after the tracks have recently been greased, the train refurbished, the entrance sign painted, with three trolls balancing out the weight in the coach perfectly, and when the planets are aligned--it's still a crappy ride in general.

I'm actually amazed at how many of you are familiar with the R.L. Stine Beast book! I totally felt less nerdy for about a second!

Thanks for all of your nice comments guys! It's such a relief to hear that you enjoyed the report!

-Jahan

Maybe I'll have to do a lame and crap midwest trip report, to make people appreciate your reports even more.

The Vekoma and Arrow bus were like different planets, I know we had a lot of fun at the front of the arrow bus but no boob credits. Though I think TRP was stinking out the back of the bus.