TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Carowinds Rain Policy

Hey everybody! I'm checking in from our condo in Myrtle Beach. We are heading to Carowinds on Saturday (around park opening) and there is currently a 40% chance of showers. We don't want to waste the money if nothing is open all day, so if it rains, how strict is their rain policy?

I was wondering because Carowinds is owned by Cedar Fair, and Cedar Point's rain policy is HORRENDOUS! If there is ONE drop of rain, each coaster's train has to be tested like 5(?) times before reopening. How similar is Carowind's?

Any additional info, such as.......

-What to do first

-Best seats on all the coasters

-Approx. wait times

-Where to go when it rains

-DISCOUNTS!!! (without using a printer...)

......would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I only really can speak off of KD/Cedar Fair. The rules should stand for all Cedar fair parks, but your never sure. From my experience with KD rain sitiuations. I know KD would run their coasters weither if its drizzling or pouring, unless it's thundering and lighting... Even when it pours, they still running. So, good luck and fun at Carowinds.

When I visited CP it thundered and lightning while I was waiting for "Mantis", The ride was down for 15 - 20 mins and the cars were running again just as the rain was stopping.

I'm sure the park is not 2 strict on rain, I was at Alton Towers on the 29th March and it was raining all afternoon, the only ride which closed was "Spinball" which was not surprising considering it's a spinning coaster and having rain slammed into your face side-ways is not 2 cool.

Best time to ride a coaster is in the wet, there is less friction between the wheels and track so your travel faster around the course. More G's n (Joking)

The whole "Cedar Fair = everything shuts down in rain" thing really only applies to Cedar Point, at least for most of last season. They became a LOT more cautious in rainy weather after the Magnum accident last year, because rain was said to have been part of the issue in that. Apparently on TPR's Midwest trip, basically ALL of the major rides closed when it rained. In stark contrast, I can clearly remember riding Millennium Force in an outright downpour about 4 years ago. I've never had rain at another Cedar Fair park, so I can't speak for them, but the typical trend at CP up until last year was that most of the major rides would stay open unless there was lightning and/or heavy wind.

Rain policy... What rain policy??

Honestly, unless its a total downpour, the rides should stay open, I know there are specifics for certain rides, IE, the yo-yo closes when the wind is too high, and Scooby doo's haunted mansion generally stays open all the time, same for Action theatre. Ricochet closes with the slightest drop of rain tho.

As for best seats. Hurler, Your on your own there... sorry

Afterburn, front if you want a ride with the best view, back if you want a ride that throws you around a bit more.

Nighthawk, the row doesnt really make much of a difference view wise, and they assign you a row anyways.

Cyclone, Back, you get a nice little pop of airtime on the first drop.

I guess I just don't understand why a chain wouldn't be consistent about their policies. I mean, did rain REALLY have anything to do with the Magnum incident?

Carowinds only really closes ride if theres lighting, for the Hurler the best seats are the front and back. For a discount without a printer go buy a Coke-Cola, drink it (i think 20oz). I think they are still doing that promotion, I heard about it on the radio the other day. And the most important thing to remember at Carowinds is everyone will be at Nighthawk, so do it first if you get in at opening, but have fun.

Umm... Other than the coke promotion, I dont know of any other discounts

^^ Not always, thats what everyone does, Ive managed to walk onto Nighthawk around 12-2, but it can vary. It would be best to check the line throughout the day, or just bum rush it first, either way works really.

I will MAKE SURE I get on Nighthawk. I haven't ridden Tatsu (yet), so the Vekoma flyers are currently my favorite of their type. S:UF just doesn't excite me that much, and those Ziere (sp?) flyers, well...yeah...

Okay every one, I REALLY need some help!

The current weather predictions in Charlotte on Saturday is a 90% chance of Rain/Thunder at a high of 68* and a wind speed of 14mph. Yeah, its looking bad.

I REALLY want to go to Carowinds, but I'm not sure if its worth it...

Here is my current plan:

-Tomorrow night, check weather in Charlotte for Saturday

-If there is a 60% chance of precipitation or less, head to Carowinds

-If there is a 61% chance or higher, head to Dollywood

The weather in Pigeon Forge on Saturday is predicted to be 64* with 7mph wind speed, and a 30% chance of showers.

But here is the thing, I've been to Dollywood 3 times (once last year, once when Thunderhead was installed, and once when TT opened) so there isn't really that much new there for me to do. Plus, 64* isn't very warm, and I'm not sure if I'd really be willing to ride DDF, Slidewinder, of River Rampage at those temps.

So what do you all think I should do?

Once again, PLEASE help!

For me personally, I can deal with it raining. As long as it's not raining the whole day, I have no problem going into a gift shop browsing, or a restaurant and just relaxing for a couple of hours. Now, I haven't ever been to Carowinds, so I don't know what kind of shops and restaurants they have there. And I just looked at the weather for Charlotte, and it shows it's supposed to rain the whole day. Unless it changes by tommorow night, I would personally take a raincheck on Carowinds.

^Thanks for the help! Sadly, I'm afraid I'll have to take the Dollywood route. You have to remember, I have my anti-enthusiast family with me, and I don't think the rain will bring them an more joy...

But then again, who can trust those stinkin' meteorologists?