TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

This is very good news. Universal Studios usually makes quality attractions and I'm sure that whatever the project is, it will have the same level of detail and contain all the essential elements to make an awesome ride. I know it is still very early, but I can't wait to see how this is going to turn out.

^^Taking up the Bone Yard would totally screw up traffic flow for HHN or Mardis Gras because that is where the stage normally goes.

I'm sure they are taking that into consideration though.

So I take it you didnt go to HHN this past year because they only used the Bone Yard as a MidWay this year. The main stage was placed right across from Mel's Diner. They use two stages for Rock The Universe that they could just as easily move into one stage and cut out some of the less popular bands OR they could use the Animal Actors stadium for those lesser named acts wrather then putting the speakers there and they have already talked about moving the stage for Mardi Gras to the Mel's Area. It can work very well actully!!

^^Taking up the Bone Yard would totally screw up traffic flow for HHN or Mardis Gras because that is where the stage normally goes.

I'm sure they are taking that into consideration though.

So I take it you didnt go to HHN this past year because they only used the Bone Yard as a MidWay this year. The main stage was placed right across from Mel's Diner. They use two stages for Rock The Universe that they could just as easily move into one stage and cut out some of the less popular bands OR they could use the Animal Actors stadium for those lesser named acts wrather then putting the speakers there and they have already talked about moving the stage for Mardi Gras to the Mel's Area. It can work very well actully!!

Ya I did go this year. Sorry I didn't word it very clearly.

What I meant was if the Bone Yard was taken up with a coaster, it would effect the traffic flow of HHN because of the 3 soundstage houses and their exits which all flowed out into the Bone Yard.

^ Sure. But with Disaster the ride already in and Twister, that may be overkill. I'm hoping it's just a codename. But then again I thought 'Cloverfield' was a codename, but sure enough it was the movie title.

I hope it doesn't have anything themed to TNA Wrestling. For some reason "rumble" makes me think of "Let's get ready to rumble" in a wrestling sense.

TNA just rents the Soundstage. They aren't affiliated with Universal in a way of a Brand Name at all. And I promise Us employees HATE TNA... it is NOT our favorite thing at all!!! A bunch of broke down wrestlers that think they should get into everything VIP because they used to be something. UGh...the first two nigths of Macy's training they had TNA going on in the next soundstange over so we got to be back there to see all their "hot mess" selves. Not cute up close at all!

The project name probably has a very loose connection to the ride...I wouldn't read too much into it. Afterall, The Simpsons ride was "project fish" (which probably came from the 3-eyed fish, but who would have guessed that connection before the ride was announced?)

I would have no problem with the boneyard getting all or partly taken up by this coaster,as you saw from this year HHN doesn't need the boneyard as what they had this year was pretty lame,it wouldn't hurt to leave some space though.And for Mardi Grass concerts in my opinion if they could find somewhere else to have them it would be great as I never liked seeing them standing there in a mob of people where you can't see the stage for the most part.

I'm just wondering which Maurer Söhne coaster it will be. I initially hoped for a SkyLoop XT450 (Abismo) but then I was concerned about the ride capacity. With only a single train seating 12, the ride capacity would be similar to that of Abismo - 550 per hour. Hulk has a ride capacity of 1920 riders per hour. I'm just wondering how this is going to work for such a crowded park. I guess only time will tell.

I saw this at Maurer Sohne's website, I think if they do use the X cars then they should use the 24seaters to help with capacity

Maurer Sohne

I don't know what they are going to do about HHN this year. The Earthquake extended queue is now in use for Disaster, half of Nazarman's became Starbucks, and IOA can't be used due to the construction of Harry Potter. Then next year we will have this new coaster. I hope the majority houses don't become tent houses.

However, I would much rather have Project Rumble and less haunted houses.

Trust me, they will work HHN around the future construction of Project Rumble. HHN makes too much $$$ to be a Universal afterthought.

Still, I am waiting for "Bring It On: The Ride" and "American Pie 4-D."

They could easily stick a station in the back part of the bone yard and still fit a stage for Rock The Universe, Mardi Gras, and RTU in that area. I doubt they'd take up the whole area with coaster track so close to the ground it'd hurt traffic flow. The only bad thing would be getting to the ride!

I'm still amazed they are doing this with Harry Potter opening a year or so later at IOA!

However, because of that fact I doubt we'll see anything on the scale of Hollywood Dream the Ride.

I can see a small B&M coaster go into the space. It could fit Hollywood Dream.

I get the feeling that was the original intent, but B&M had too much on their plate, so MS was contracted. While I like HD, I'm glad to see a new coaster go in over there.

Anybody else catch the similarities to the situation leading up to Drachen Fire (B&M couldn't do it due to other obligations so Arrow stepped in)? Don't worry, I'm not bashing anyone nor saying this project will come out as badly as DF, just noting a coincidence.

Bottom line, it'll be a fun ride and good addition.

• 2 months later...

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit Secret Song List!

If you find out more secret songs, reply to this thread and they will be added to the list! To access the secret song list on the ride, press and hold down the Rockit logo for 5 seconds on the rider panel to bring up a keypad. Enter a 3 digit number to hear hidden tracks.

Known tracks:

101 – Temples of Syrinx – Rush

102 - Smithereens - Blues Before&After

103 – Break On Through – The Doors

104 – Crocodile Rock – Elton John

105 - Do it Again by Steely Dan

108 – 8 Miles High – The Byrds

109 - Fantasy by Aldo Nova

111 - Unknown Guitar Solo

112 – Freebird – Skynyrd

113 - Immigrant Song by Led Zeppelin

114 - Just Because - Jane's Addiction

115 - Live by Lenny Kravitz

116 - Mexicola - Queens / Stone Age

117 - Eruption by Van Halen

121 - Tom Petty - Runnin' Down a Dream

122 - Rolling Stones - Start Me Up

123 – Stockholm Syndrom – Muse

124 - Breaking Benjamin - Diary Of Jane

127 – Urgent - Foreigner

128- Vertigo (U2)

129- Wheel in the Sky (Journey)

131 - Klein Mandelbrot by Blue Man Group

132 – Drumbone – Blue Man Group

301 – Float On – Modest Mouse

302 - I Want You Back - Jackson Five

303 - In My Pocket - Cat Empire

304 - Still Rock ‘n Roll To Me - Billy Joel

306 – Lose Yourself – Eminem

307 - Ride Like The Wind by Christopher Cross

308 - Run to You by Bryan Adams

309 - Save Room by John Legend

310 - Vogue by Madonna

312 - My Everything by Barry White

508 – Pivot – Dry

701 - Cyanide by Metallica

703 - For Whom The Bell Tolls - Metallica

704 - Forever Down by Black Label Society

707 - Know your Enemy? by Rage Against the Machine

708- Let's Go (Ministry)

709 - Mouth For War - Pantera

710 – Painkiller - Judas Priest

711 - Paranoid - Black Sabbath

713 - Wicker Man - Iron Maiden

715 - Wake Up Dead - Megadeth

718 - You've Got Another Thing Coming by Judas Priest

901 - Movin Right Along - Muppet Movie

902 - Rainbow Connection - Muppet Movie

904 - Night on Bald Mountain by Modest Mussorgsky

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Official Press Release from Universal Orlando -

LIGHTS . . . CAMERA . . . COASTER!

Universal Orlando Resort Announces Brand-New Roller Coaster

That Features Total Immersion Entertainment and Puts Guests In The Director’s Seat

ORLANDO, FL (March 19, 2008) – Adrenaline pumping and music thumping, you find yourself heading straight toward the sky. Suddenly, you are doing 65 mph, 17 stories over Universal Studios. Gasping with excitement, you rock out to a song you picked before strapping in. And, it’s all on video. Once the adventure is over, you edit the video to send to your friends.

This is true high-tech, customizable, multi-sensory entertainment. Scheduled to open in spring 2009, Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit will stake its claim as the most technologically advanced roller coaster in the world. The Universal Creative team is combining audio and special effects engineering, sophisticated on- and off-board video and one-of-a-kind guest personalization to create a roller coaster experience unlike any other.

“This is the perfect intersection of the digital age and theme park entertainment,” said Mark Woodbury, President of Creative for Universal Parks & Resorts. “Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit blends roller coaster intensity and guest interaction in a way where no two experiences will be the same.”

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit touts six near-miss moments and first-ever thrills including a record-breaking loop. Ride vehicles feature the brightest and most innovative color changing LEDs in the world. High-energy visual displays fill the queue line. With up to four ride vehicles on the tracks at any given time, and with concert lighting and special effects mixed in, Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit will be a true high-intensity, multi-sensory experience that is unmatched.

Guests can customize their ride experience by choosing what song will play while they’re on the roller coaster. LED boards in the queue lines will display song options from five genres (classic rock, rap, country, pop and disco). Once on-board, guests can choose their song or let the coaster’s digital sound system choose for them. When the ride is over, guests will be able to customize footage from their experience and compile it into a take-home music video.

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit will be located near the Jimmy Neutron attraction traveling the southern perimeter of the Universal Studios theme park, over to the CityWalk lagoon and back.

---------------------------------------------

Another article:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/custom/tourism/orl-universal1908mar19,0,3576109.story

Universal Studios is about to build a new signature ride: a high-tech roller coaster full of lights, music, loops, twists and turns — and a quick trip over the heads of people walking through the nearby CityWalk entertainment district.

The Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit is planned to be big, bright and brash enough to become the new visual symbol for the theme park when the coaster opens in about a year. Universal Orlando officials said Tuesday that it also will feature enough digital technology to appeal directly to what they refer to as the "YouTube culture."

Universal Orlando officials said the coaster will rise 167feet into the air and feature numerous loops and corkscrew turns. Rockit — the first big, outdoor thrill ride for Universal Studios — is set to open in spring 2009.

More Orlando Sentinel blogs

It will provide another link in Universal Orlando's recent chain of big new attractions. An overhauled version of an old ride, renamed Disaster!, opened in January. The Simpsons Ride, a 3-D fantasy-simulation ride replacing the old Back to the Future, is set to open in a few weeks. And several still-undisclosed attractions are to open together in late 2009 as the "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" in Universal Studios' sister park, Islands of Adventure.

The flurry of activity follows a dormant period of nearly three years during which Universal offered no big new rides.

Although it will be the tallest coaster in Central Florida and one of the fastest in the state, the Rockit will be nowhere near the tallest or fastest in the amusement-park business. But like the Incredible Hulk in Islands of Adventure and several other Florida coasters, it aims to use innovation and novelty to make up for any lack of record-setting height or speed.

"We like to go for the best," said Mark Woodbury, president of Universal Parks & Resorts' creative division — though Universal would not comment on the project's cost.

Rockit will offer high-energy video displays in the waiting line; high-intensity, color-changing LED lighting and digital audio and video effects during the ride; and various engineering innovations.

'A whole new level'

And unlike any of the other big roller coasters in Central Florida, Rockit will loom over its park's entrance and beyond. Universal plans to squeeze its track between the Jimmy Neutron's Nicktoon Blast ride and the Sharp Aquos Theatre, which houses the Blue Man Group show. From there the track would run along the boundary between Universal Studios and Universal's sound stages, then rise over the fence to twist over the sidewalks of CityWalk, outside the theme park — a brightly lit, scream-filled advertisement for the park.

"We like to look at this as taking the thrill ride to a whole new level, both physically and figuratively," Woodbury said. "It's iconographic in its position. It's going to do some things no ride has done before. And it combines entry into the digital age with the ability to customize and personalize the ride for each rider."

That particular digital-age feature will allow riders to select their own music and create a music video of the ride. Afterward, a rider could download the video and use it on personal Web pages or video-sharing sites.

But the ride — which Universal officials had referred to for months by the code name "Project Rumble" — still draws principally on the basic thrills of a roller coaster: speed, height, loops, corkscrews, twists, turns and drops. Universal officials said Rockit would have several signature moves and a record-breaking loop, though they would not elaborate. The artist's rendering that they released shows the track climbing a 167-foot-tall peak, then corkscrewing downward, twisting eight times.

'It's a natural for us'

The ride's Internet-based theme digresses a bit from Universal Studios' original theme, which was all about "riding" the movies. But Universal officials insisted that the coaster will justify the inclusion of the word "Hollywood" in its name — a term also adopted earlier this year by Walt Disney World when it renamed its rival movie-studio theme park.

"We've always fancied ourselves as embedded into the Hollywood culture with Universal. It's part of our essence. It's a natural for us," Woodbury said. "The name is very specific to the attributes of the ride. It combines creating your own movie, to customize it; that's the 'rip' part. You can download it to your personal site. And you ride it, of course. You have the 'Rockit' part, which combines the thrill and the music."

Download Hi-Res version of the concept art.

36909946.jpg.69840fa39f2014f8d00c26bde4a1b4ca.jpg

image_291_logo_lr_low.jpg.b87277dfb18275c9a8435026e953f9b6.jpg

Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit Logo