TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2008 Six Flags Souvenir Cup Policy

Do you agree with Six Flags new requirement of allowing $.99 refills on the current year cup only?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Six Flags new requirement of allowing $.99 refills on the current year cup only?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't care

I believe the cups are made from #5 or #6 plastic, which is food grade---and the same type that fast food places use. Generally, the higher the number, the better the plastic for containers.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about plastic or components of it leaching into your soda. Besides, what's in the soda is not likely any better for you.

Eric

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, for a family of 5 what would be an acceptable number of these $10 - $13 cups to purchase? (Season Pass holders will receive a coupon for $3 off). Should I just get 1 cup and the free water cups, then transfer the drink? or bring in some of last years cups and transfer from '08 cup to the older ones? or should I buy 5 cups for $50? or maybe just 2 and make the kids share? (teens always love to share with their little siblings). Or is the sharing thing just as gross as a reused washed cup?

I understand how a souvenir cup, can be just that, a souvenir. So, when I'm going to a park I haven't been to I'll automatically purchase a new cup. So, I'd be in support of the park specific cups.

However, I have at least 9 cups from my home park, SFGAdv, as a result of forgetting them or wanting a cup with a specific attraction on it. Honestly, I don't want anymore. At $10.00 a pop, they don't get thrown away. Upon returning from the park they are soaked overnight, washed the next day, dried and placed in the cabinet for future use.

Therefore, I'm all for the continual use of the older cups.

That $10 can go towards: the overpriced food purchased at the park, the gas consumed by my car to make the trip, and/or the round trip tolls paid to travel certain highways to get to and from the park.

On a positive note, I appreciate the fact that refill cost hasn't increased.

Btw, if I remember correctly, the coupons for my season pass's home park (SFA) are $1.00 off for the character topped souvenir cup which is approx. $13.00

Whether you're a season pass holder or just there for the day, the cost probably still works to your advantage. When I'm at Disneyland I believe its $2.89 per drink, which might contain 10 ounces of actual soda.

But, some people will always be, how shall we say....... cost-conscious?

Just there other day, while I was walking thru the parking lot at Costco, I saw a guy open his trunk and pull out an old coke cup and head towards to outdoor soda refill station. I guess that member felt that after paying once, that he's entitled to free refills for life!

I agree with Robb. If it's going to strap you that much financially, then save your money and don't worry about it. Bring some drinks and leave them in a cooler in the car...probably much cheaper that way. I personally don't see anything wrong with this policy and don't usually get one anyway because then it's one more thing I have to carry around with me all day, but I don't mind paying the ten bucks when I do get one, especially if it's a hot day and I know I'll get good use out of it. In fact it's nice they are even doing it in the first place...you know they really don't have to. This is kind of like nit-picking on something that doesn't seem that important.

Wow 4 pages for a cup! I had no idea you could use them more than one day. It would be even better if they got cheap cardboard Pepsi cups and gave free soda! Man I miss Holiday World.. Any way, If you are on this site that would mean that you ,or someone you know has enough money to pay an internet bill , and if you can do that you shouldn't be upset by being charged 4 dollars for a soda. Come to Disneyland where you pay 5 dollars for a cup 3/4ths full of ice. I totally agree with getting cheap soda for only that year. Its a cup. and mabe one day you can even sell it on Ebay and get your money back or put it in a ptr like Wes!

So, for a family of 5 what would be an acceptable number of these $10 - $13 cups to purchase? (Season Pass holders will receive a coupon for $3 off). Should I just get 1 cup and the free water cups, then transfer the drink? or bring in some of last years cups and transfer from '08 cup to the older ones? or should I buy 5 cups for $50? or maybe just 2 and make the kids share? (teens always love to share with their little siblings). Or is the sharing thing just as gross as a reused washed cup?

I think that you should probably stay home. Can't you just buy a normal cup? Why does your "family" need so much pop? Is it for its wonderful health value? Get over the price and go to your local park instead of SF. As we all know the smaller parks are struggling to make money so take your admissions, parking fess, and unhealthy obsession with pop and give those places your money.

Instead of having a written rule about these cups or having an issue with the reuse of the cup, would it not be cheaper to eliminate the cups and just use a wristband. Purchase a wristband for $12.99 and receive free drinks for the day, Purchase a wristband for $6.99 and receive $.99 drinks for the day, or purchase a drink pass for $20 and receive $.99 drinks for the year (pays for itself in as little as 5 drinks).

SF would not have to pay for the manufacturing of the cup and I am pretty sure that the cups do not provide free advertising outside of the park.

What does SF do with the cups that are not purchased during the season? Do they get a refund for the unused cups? How much money are they simply throwing away?

I think drinks should be included in the price of admission at all parks.

The stock holders of Six Flags, Cedar Fair,etc would strongly disagree.

Soft drinks are pretty much pure profit, and are a major form of income for the big companies.

Just because a smaller park like Holiday World and Lake Compounce do it, doesn't mean that the parks with 5x as many visitors would be able to.

Plus at the larger parks, the lines would be crazy to use the free soda fountains and seeing the crowds a park like Great Adventure gets, I would be worried it would cause trouble such people trying to break the fountains, throwing soda at each other since it's free they wound't care about wasting it by having a soda fight etc.

I like the idea a few posts up about paying a certain amount for a wristband. I'd be willing to pay even $40 for a pass that entitled me to free soda all season. The problem with that is how do you stop one person in a family from getting a soda if it's not in a reuseable cup, and not just getting a bunch for everyone in their family.

I think drinks should be included in the price of admission at all parks.

I don't. I never buy drinks, so there is no point for me having to pay for everyone else's soda addiction.

Exactly. The price of "free" soda is already put into the admission prices at those parks. So, instead of "free" soda at a Six Flags park, you would just be tacking on an extra $10 to your admission price.

Why do you guys need so much pop? I never buy the souvenir cup because it is no way worth the money or hassle when I go. I usually just ask for a glass of Ice Water, the only park I have ever had trouble with that is Canobie Lake.

It's called ingerious consumption.

Maybe it's just me, but when I go to a park, a movie theater, a concert, a sporting event, etc, I always budget a bit more money because I *know* that consessions cost more money than when you walk into your local 7-11.

I have never been bothered by this fact, never complained about it, etc.

It's just a fact of the entertainment business. These places make a good portion of their profits from concessions.

I actually make it a point when I go to parks to buy sodas, frozen cokes, and other items because I like to support the parks, assuming that it's a parksthat I like and that park provides products that I like.

I go to Magic Mountain at least once, usually twice a week during their daily season and I will make sure I buy at least a drink or two. Not in a souvenier cup, but a FULL PRICE drink. Why? Because I know they make nothing off my entrance with my season pass, so I want to show the park my support. And buying a $3.50 soda is NOTHING in comparison to the 2 - 3 hours worth of entertainment I am going to get during that visit. If I went to a movie during that same time, I'd be spending at least thirty bucks.

--Robb "I don't buy much from Pepsi parks!" Alvey

When I was in high school our band ran a concession stand for the local AA Baseball team. The hot dogs sold for $3.50. It cost less than $0.25 to make it. And we sold hundreds a game just at our stand. Drinks were the same way. They sold for $2.75 and $3.75 and at least 85% of that price was pure profit.

I'm in the minority here, I thought it was a nice gesture to locals and long time fans, it wasn't really an advetised policy more of a in the know thing. But nobody is into nice gestures in companies anymore.

Does anyone think it'll make that big a difference? I never see last years bottles. Isn't it just to cut ties with the past/make a small number of people really angry when they go for their drink?

I guess I'll take the museum as an apology,

Can't wait for it to open.

The thought of bringing a previous year's souvenir cup back to the park never crossed my mind! This new policy doesn't really bother me. If you're crazy enough to pay $10+ for $0.06 worth of cola (the plastic cup at WORST costs ~$3); you can afford buying a new cup each season.

I wish Six Flags charged a fair price (not NFL or movie pricing!) for concessions. Alas, I will continue to bag my lunch and save my complaints falling on deaf ears. If the $10 cup gave me unlimited free refills for the first day, and $0.99 refills throughout the season, I would probably go for it despite the markup. Since soda pours out of the fountain cold anyway, I never get ice.

I thought the cup was only good for 1 season anyway.

Even though I think SF is a ripoff on food and drink pricing except on these 99 cent refills (I too eat outside the park to avoid the pricing), they aren't as bad as some other parks. I don't know if all Cedar Fair parks is like this or not, but at Dorney they charge $5.98 for the cup and $1.98 for each refill. That extra dollar adds up quick. The only difference is I think you can re-use last year's cup since they were selling Voodoo themed cups last year and I'm sure they will be using the same cups this year.