The Six Flags Magic Mountain Museum

Article and some behind the scenes photos!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

The Six Flags Magic Mountain Museum

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 1:56 pm

For those of you who may not be aware, The Sky Tower at Six Flags Magic Mountain is currently undergoing a make-over. Not quite to the level where Ty Pennington will come by and tear down the Sky Tower and rebuild it in 24 hours, but enough that it's getting the attention of the press all over the Santa Clarita Valley and Los Angeles County. Heck, even Six Flags CEO Mark Shaprio was promoting it the other day along side new for 2008 attractions like X2 and Thomas Town.

Here's a really nice article from The Daily News about Brandon's Sky Tower Museum (Brandon is the guy who pitched the idea to management and is currently spearheading the re-do.)

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_8412730

VALENCIA - The purple fur of the troll costume was matted and the plastic eyes were scratched, but 19-year-old Brandon Bruce eyed it as a piece of local history and the building block he needed.
The refurbished King Troll, with his gold cape and bead-studded crown, is the centerpiece of Six Flags California's Magic Mountain's new museum, under construction within the theme park's landmark tower and set to open this month.

"He also has a friend who's orange. We're researching who he is," Bruce said during a recent trek to the top of the 386-foot tower, the newly painted red steel fixture that put the Santa Clarita Valley on the map.

Bruce, a college student and senior ride supervisor, is in charge of the Magic on the Mountain museum, one of many projects corporate executives are looking at to help recast the 37-year-old Valencia theme park from teen haven to family-friendly destination.

Daily News also posted a great interview with Brandon:

Check out Brandon's Interview Video!

Last week we were able to go up into the Sky Tower during the make over to check out some of the pieces of Magic Mountain history going into the museum -
museum00.jpg
At the moment, the Sky Tower IS a mess! =) But it will all get cleaned up into something VERY cool!
museum01.jpg
The museum will include lots of concept art from attractions that didn't make the cut or alternate ideas for rides you currently see in the park.
museum02.jpg
You would be amazed at how many different ideas are presented for each attraction before one is decided upon.
museum03.jpg
Hey look! They thought about it before Disney! At least Six Flags ditched the idea so they wouldn't be stuck with a $1 billion mistake! ;)
museum04.jpg
Lots of signage from past and present attractions.
museum05.jpg
More signage.
museum06.jpg
Tons of old costumes dating back to the 1970s.
museum08.jpg
Ride designs before it was all done on computer!
museum07.jpg
Ahhh! One of the old trolls! I know there was "Bloop" and "Bleep" but I'm not sure which one this guy is!
museum10.jpg
And my personal favorite piece of art in the collection - Yes, that IS a taco with a sombrero!

Look for the Sky Tower Museum to open later this year and you can re-live some old Magic Mountain Memories!

This 16 year old puts you to shame

Postby socalMAN123 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:02 pm

That looks great! I think I will venture back up to the top of the tower when this thing opens, can't wait to see what it turns out like.
---Brent =)
Disobey

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby ngs » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Looks to be another smart step forward for SFMM.

I feel boring

Postby Pelydr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:38 pm

Cool stuff Robb! I really need to make it out to MM again. It's been a while and it really looks like the new management is taking things in the right direction. Plus I really should ride Tatsu. :)

Banned

Postby PURE » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:50 pm

It will be interesting to see how they organize all of that stuff to be on display most efficiently. Looks like they got a TON of old stuff up there!

I can't believe they don't know the trolls were Bloop and Bleep, what kind of "research" is necessary? It only takes a 5 second search on Google to figure it out...
Welcome To Magic Mountain. Cheer up, you could be at Knotts!

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby Hand 0f Time » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:03 pm

Lol, I remember the Taco with the Sobrero. And the Costume, those guys gave me the creeps from the past. :?r

Spinach plus Tuna makes the taste of the paste!

Postby Reality15 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:09 pm

Surprisingly enough, seeing Magic Mountain build this makes me want to get out to California even more than the other improvements. Not many parks celebrate their history like this, so to see SO much going into this, I honestly can't wait to see the end result for myself.

Job well done Magic Mountain, job well done.
Check me out on: Flickr // YouTube // Facebook // Twitter

TPR's Olden Goldie

Postby ebl » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:11 pm

"the trolls were Bloop and Bleep" (PURE)

Don't forget "Blop." There were three trolls and The Wizard.

Amazing...even I never knew that (I'm guessing) when Six Flags bought the park they considered renaming it "California Adventure." Honestly, while I do like the name "Magic Mountain," calling it "California Adventure" would have worked as well.

Ah...blueprints. That reminds me of when I first started working in engineering as a drafter in the late '70s. No such thing as AutoCAD back then!

I am really looking forward to visiting Southern California's newest museum.

Eric
My Honda will run ringz around your Saturn.

I wish they would make Street Fighter Donkey.

Postby haux » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:21 pm

Is that a model of Great American Scream Machine? Or is it a model of an early design of Viper?
I am out of ideas for what to write in this signature box.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:40 pm

haux wrote:Is that a model of Great American Scream Machine? Or is it a model of an early design of Viper?

Wow. Good catch. It is actually GASM. Not sure why SFMM ended up with it, but I think they will say something on the display about it either being the inspiration or an early model of Viper, because technically, it kind of is. Same ride basically just slightly different layout to fit SFMM's landscape.

--Robb

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!