TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Old Disneyland Maps

After searching through the garage, I have found a few of my mom's old Disneyland maps. I find these maps very cool because you can see how much the park has changed through the years. I'm only going to post one of the maps right now. If you have an old map from Disneyland, please share, I would love to see it.

Here's the fist one. I estimate it 1967-69 because the Haunted Mansion is built, but is listed as a future attraction, along with Space Mountain. Pirates is open, which means this is 67-69, between the opening of POTC and HM. First thing I noticed was no Splash Mountain(1989). The Rainbow Caverns Mine Train is still in the map, and This is before the Fantasy land Re-do.

map.thumb.jpg.c8bcd0f8bdd5df620cb818786d8f8113.jpg

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very interesting map you have there from an earlier time. Yes, the attraction "Pirates of the Carribean began operating in 1967, so that map was probably from that season.

I was at Disneyland in the year 2000 and I can honestly say that park has undergo massive changes and additions over the year. Walt Disney once said that his park would never be completely builded, and was he ever right.

"Mickey Mouse for President!!!"

• 6 years later...
That is strange that in 1967 or so they would put Space Mountain on the map. It looks like a really cool concept for Space Mountain. They must have really side stepped this project for several years since it didn't finally open until 1976.

Shane, I believe the design on the map was taken from an original art concept by Herb Ryman, 1966. When The Disney Gallery existed in New Orleans Square, they had a showing of "The Art of Disneyland," and I picked up a print of the artwork of Space Mountain. Always loved it and wished they had stuck to the original design, as seen below and on those early DL maps, before it actually opened.

And the photo below it, is of the 1962 Disneyland Map, I picked up (Easter Weekend, 1963) the following year on my first ever visit to the park, at age 10. There are lots of interesting things to note on it, and when I get better photos and comment on the Lands and various "Future Attractions," I will post again.

IMG_6736.JPG.01758d4ae3c9779c586ed5f02a576e1a.JPG

A Disney Gallery print, of the original Herb Ryman concept of Space Mountain in DL.

IMG_6737.JPG.f458f1cb3bc949a7c8586fbe7b608e21.JPG

The 1962 map, framed and on the wall, with DL attractions poster pins sitting on top. (o:

• 1 year later...

Just found out. This isn't available until October 18th ( thru Amazon.com), but still...

http://www.amazon.com/Maps-Disney-Parks-Charting-California/dp/1484715470?ie=UTF8&keywords=disney%20parks%20maps&qid=1463688918&ref_=sr_1_1&s=books&sr=1-1

DisneyParksMaps.jpg.3a4c31fac0e11d22433c9fa0ad0bf345.jpg

I pre-orderd mine, today. (o:

Edited by Nrthwnd

That is strange that in 1967 or so they would put Space Mountain on the map. It looks like a really cool concept for Space Mountain. They must have really side stepped this project for several years since it didn't finally open until 1976.

I was gonna say. . . we moved from Long Beach in 1975 and went to DL the last time that summer, and there was no Space Mountain. Didn't ride it until I made it to WDW in 1979.

Space Mountain opened in Disneyland, in 1977. And they did the same thing with Haunted Mansion.

My 1962 map has it right there, along with the New Orleans/PoTC artwork. HM opened in 1969,

and PoTC in 1967, along with the brand-new Tomorrowland that debuted, as well.

What I remember.

IMG_7346.JPG.813c2c3a9f5edc82662a0f82752f8f5d.JPG