TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

PhotoBoothe's 2008 Australia Trip Report!

^ I don't know why JZ Man found that so interesting. That's pretty much how much toilets work! You find those 'lighter bowl with two buttons' all over Europe and Asia and even in some parts of the US now. I think many places are replacing their older toilets with these newer systems (supposed to be more water conservative?)

I don't think JZ Man gets out much....

Thanks for the bit of info!

My plan is to go straight for Giant Drop or Tower of Terror. It's a Thursday and school day, so crowds shouldn't be bad... I'm going to get in all the rides I can, skipping Reptar since I have one at home. Camera is charging now!

Why would you fly across the world, go to the park on a non-busy day, and then purposely skip a credit just because you have one near you?

Obviously it's up to you to spend your day however you want, I just don't quite understand that logic.

--Robb "I'm going to get in every credit I can if I'm flying that far!" Alvey

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would you fly across the world, go to the park on a non-busy day, and then purposely skip a credit just because you have one near you?

Obviously it's up to you to spend your day however you want, I just don't quite understand that logic.

--Robb "I'm going to get in every credit I can if I'm flying that far!" Alvey

Ohhh...I didn't think that credit would count because it's a clone. Like how I saw in some TR's "Elissa skipped this wild mouse because she already has the credit in CA!" Or is this just some JJ rule I'm getting confused with?

Gav - Ohhh....I never pressed that button! I always pressed the one on the left and it was just some big SKLOOSH. Haha, I'll go right button next time to get the in person experience.

^ We would only skip a credit that we "rode in California" if it was relocated from another park and we already rode it in it's previous location.

And some people (because there is no set rules of counting credits) would actually count a coaster if it was re-located.

If it's a new coaster, regardless if it's a clone, then absolutely IMO it counts!

--Robb

I hope you read this before you head out today...but leave the Cyclone till last unless you like walking around the park with a massive headache all day. Atleast that is what is does for me every time I ride it. The wait for the Cyclone has not been too bad of late during the day, but the others can back up a lot quicker.

Have fun, although it is looking a tad overcast today, so hope the rain holds off for you....

The part that always seems to get me is the section of track as you head to the back of the ride, just the change of direction seems to cause the headache. I have tried to brace myself for it, but don't seem to have much luck with it.

At least the day was a nice one for JZ at Dreamworld. Can't wait to see what he thought of the Giant Drop....and how many times he rode it.

The part that always seems to get me is the section of track as you head to the back of the ride, just the change of direction seems to cause the headache. I have tried to brace myself for it, but don't seem to have much luck with it.

At least the day was a nice one for JZ at Dreamworld. Can't wait to see what he thought of the Giant Drop....and how many times he rode it.

I'm back!

Robb, I rode Reptar and to me it felt slower than KI's.

Thunder, I thought that Cyclone was pretty smooth...but it did have a few bumps. One on the turn before the zig zag, and one on the back turn around underneath some random slide.

Will update with pictures! Oh, and videos of Giant Drop, TOT and the qeue, and other stuff I took!

-J "Oh...about 7 times..." Z

Cool, sounds like you got plenty done. What did you think of the park itself though?

Whats up next? Movie World....The best is yet to come

Though hold off till after the 17th of Feb when Superman finishes its rehab, that is one coaster you dont wanna miss.

Oh, and what did you think of the motocoaster? Apparently a lot of people dislike that one.

I find myself as normal, agreeing with Gav on that one...you DO NOT want to miss out on Superman, or for that matter Scooby Doo Spooky Coaster. Although if you do the Lethal Weapon coaster, I take no responsibility for any after effects that you might encounter, as it is Vekoma.

The zig-zag on Cyclone is the park that normally gets me, must zig when I should zag or something, but glad to hear you had a great day.

Hey everyone! I had an action packed day at Dreamworld today. After a small delay with loosing one of the Canadian exchange students on the trains, but we all met up at Dreamworld. I'll let the pictures talk!

Ride Count:

T.O.T - 3, back outside seat wins.

Giant Drop - 7 times. Incredible.

cyclone - once is enough

Wipeout - 3 times

Claw - 6 times?

Log ride - once

Rapids Ride - once

Reptar - once

Bumper cars - once

Mick Doohan - once

Reef Diver - once

John doing the Pringles duck thing to entertain while on the trains. Amusing because Lays Chips here are Smith's. Exact copy. Stacks > Pringles.

We got to the station at about 9:30, and the park opens at 10. This is Giant Drop/TOT from the train station. It's about a 5 minute bus ride. Yeah, it's huge.

At 10AM, we arrive at Dreamworld!!! The skyline is half park rides, and the other half is White Water World sticking out.

Here's the fountains inside the entrance. But as some of you may know, most of Queensland have been in a serious drought. Sooo due to water restrictions they are off.

First ride of the day was Cyclone! It's an Arrow custom looper that was relocated from some other park, I believe.

Before you get to the ride....you must walk 5 minutes in circles! On the way up on the outside...on the way exiting the ride you cross over the entrance like an intersection and walk on the inside going down. Most pointless queue EVER.

It's a pretty good ride. I like how you aren't really sunk down into the cars. The layout is like an extended corkscrew coaster.

Here's the view from the other side of the station.

It's the REVERSE side loop! You go through the corkscrewy part first, then half loop into the loop. I bet Jahan and Beer Guy would love to get their hands on these Aussie inversions.

Overall, Cyclone was fun. It had a lame drop, but a fun ride. C+

Next up was Wipeout! It's one of those top spins that twists crazily. It's themed to....surprise...a massive wave that the surfers are crashing on! Too bad there weren't any water effects...

Oh my God...these things were not built for comfort. First the harness comes down and pushes as hard as it can against your pelvis. Then the lap bar thing comes down and locks. It's quite painful if you don't do anything about it pre-ride. Despite slamming your body against the restraint and pushing all body limits, this ride was really good. A solid B.

Next up....THE CLAW. It's like a Huss frisbee but smaller and wayyyyy better. This thing gave awesome forces, floater air, and gave 7 swings beyond vertical! A!!!!

OI! I'M A CLAW. GIMME CANDY OR I'LL CLAW YOUR CAR!

I've got a claw on me claw!

Mmmm....The Claw. <3 Screw Delirium.

Awesome random clown. Every park should have one.

The famous shiny silver face you enter to TOWER OF TERROR. It says, "Gimme all your electrical power so I can charge up my magnets."

Feels like I'm going into the Boiler Room.

Well, I though the Front Row was a good idea....WRONG. There's this massive windshield infront of your face. You can hardly see anything.

TOT - It's a quick ride. The launch is lame, I didn't feel any of the "6.5 seconds of weightlessness", and I doubt it got up to 377ft. Yeah, it was fun, something different. C+

This is the part when your body goes SMUSH into the seat. Yay Intamin T-Bars!

Yay for 15 riders per car with one car. It goes high. Maybe about 300ft or so.

Now, since I did have a lot of time in the park, and there was a short short line....I decided to ride again. This time I got in the last row, outside seat. It's like sitting in any outside seat of an Intamin coaster. Lots of movement. WELL. I liked this go wayyy better. I had a GREAT view. I could look side to side and backward easily! And as we were speeding up, a Giant Drop car flew RIGHT by. Now that is something you need to experience to understand what I'm talking about. You're about 5-8ft away from hitting each other at about 70mph each. Now THAT is a thrill! That go got a B+!!!

Oh, and that's as high as it will go up ^

It's kinda loud. It's similar to hearing Dragster roar by. I thought it was going to be louder after hearing people talk about Superman.

To answer some questions first...

What do you think of Dreamworld?

I think it's a great park with a lovely atmosphere. It has different 'worlds' for everyone in the family. Wiggles World/Nick Univ. for kids, Family rides scattered all over, and the "Big 6" thrill rides.

-I see one BIG flaw with the park. All of the queues are small, except for Cyclone. All of the lines are made for small crowds! I mean, none have switch backs, and on a weekend, I could see the midways FLOWING with lines from who knows what rides.

-Capacity. Oh Dreamworld. You have a SBNO Wild mouse, a reverse freefall coaster, a kiddie vekoma, one train op Arrow looper, and your biggest line eater (Mick Doohan) takes 20 minutes to go through a small "here and back" line. Oh and for half of the day, Giant Drop ran one side - 7 people moving every 4 minutes. Worst capacity ever?

-They need a ride that's longer. All their coasters ride length ranges from 30 seconds to minute thirty seconds. Where's the ride where after an hours wait I can enjoy?!

-Ride placements. Okay, so Tower of Terror is located between Wiggles World and Nick Univ. there's no other way of getting to it without going through one of the worlds. Mick Doohan - really randomly placed, right by a crappy river and Wiggles World.

It seems like it's the Fuji Q of Australia. They need a big capacity eater and something that people will line up for.

Mick Doohan's MotoCoaster! It's the new coaster/attraction for 2007!

Almost doggy style? You climb into your dirt bike thing and pull the front half of it down so it locks over your thighs. Then the thing comes and fits against your back.

The ride is pretty slow for a dirt bike racing track...it would have been alot better if it was faster. It's kinda like....a tame Rita with an odd seating.

Meandering through some zig zags and hops. It's a smooth Intamin. The launch is sooooo weak, though. Pssssstttt....Intamin, stick to the hydraulics...

It was a fun ride. Nothing really standoutish or amazing. The line movement was absolute crap, though. Oh, and the last two sets of motorcycles, there's a little side car you can choose to sit down and ride in if you wish. I'll give it a C+

Okay, it was getting hot....so we went over to the.....LOG RIDE! Yeah, that drop is REALLY lame. It was a cool little log ride, and it had this AWESOME random dinosaur in it!

A decant splash....seemed to get everyone on the left side only, though....

And coming up next......

Oh, random fact about the incredible Giant Drop. It's not called Giant Drop because of it's frickin' free fall...it's because you're a giant drop of oil falling from the top of the tower! Muahahahhahaha.

I heard Bush offered 4 tootsie rolls, a lollipop, and a coupon to chuck-e-cheese for this piece of land.

Sorry mom, I can't go to school today....I've got a bad case of Veritgo.

Riders prepare for the experiance of their lifetime.

And I happened to be that next rider.

400ft is a loooonnnnggggg way up there.

It's just you sittin' up in the clouds.

THE Dreamworld Tower. It says Tower of Terror on the side if you can tell.

There you are...just a little drop of oil falling from atop the tower...

Here's the Eureka mine ride. It's an indoor/outdoor wild mouse...as someone said before, line were ripped out and there were games blocking entrance/exit.

Up next....the Thunder something Rapids ride!

This is where the chair lift ride station was, obviously...random supports still left out there.

The rapids ride coasting down the Dreamworld river. RapidsNerd loves those Aussie rapids!

Well, the ride was fun...but there were only three places you have a chance to get wet! Oh, and there's some cool pitch black parts and some guys messing with dynamite. Two guys got a small splash....And I got one GIANT wave washed over me. Verdict is - Unacceptable ammount of wetness!

Nick Universe. KI's is better. Yay foreign Reptar. I got all the available credits.

There's a tiger exibit between Wiggles World and Nick U, smashed next to T.O.T. Yay Bengals!

Unfortunately that's all I have for my Dreamworld TR! Hope you guys enjoyed the pics, I plan on Movie World sunday and Wet 'n wild during the week!

Oh, I thought this massive 25' by 10' sign would be appropriate for some TPR members.

as we were speeding up, a Giant Drop car flew RIGHT by. Now that is something you need to experience to understand what I'm talking about. You're about 5-8ft away from hitting each other at about 70mph each. Now THAT is a thrill!

It's worse/better on the giant drop side, as the whole tower swings/shakes as the coaster runs (hope you got to experience that - it's a real "brown trousers" moment).

I was surprised you didn't like the Cyclone queue, personally I thought it was pretty cool with all the fans and the giant turbine and such (unless all that has been removed now - I was last there 7 years ago). And Cyclone was moved from Luna Park in Sydney.

Pity the mouse wasn't running - it was quite fun. Do you know if it was just down for maintenance, or is it on its way out?

And yeah, those claws rock seriously hard!

Cameron.

Not modeled after dirk bikes. The rides full name is the Mick Doohan Motor Coaster, with Mick Doohan being one of Australia's best known 500cc world motor bike champions.

I can recall one of the first times they operated the TOT during testing, it did hit the E brakes at the top of the tower, or at least that is the story.

The other rumors floating around about the park, is that there will be two new attractions in the near future. A family based attraction towards the end of this year, and a major thrill attraction within the next three years.

Still waiting for the Giant Drop pictures...maybe an on ride one of yourself??

To answer a couple of points.

-Wipeout did once have water underneath, and fountains, but again tough water restrictions have seen them turned off.

-The Eureka Mountain Mine Ride (The mouse) ain't coming back, it's been SBNO for over a year, and the queue line rails have been ripped out and the queue house is being used for an eating area. Of DWs recent actions this has annoyed a lot of people because it was a fun little ride that was one of the classic older rides at the park.

-No, he is right in disliking the Cyclone queue, personally I have always thought it looked crap thematically, and DW maintenance record hasn't helped. Its supposed to be some sort of Cyclone research center. You used to queue up on the inside of the building, and go around the outside on the way out (and shortcut down the emergency exit stairs if you were smart But they switched the arrangement, presumably so people queuing on the outside would have plenty of time to admire the water park next door.

-The reason TOT is between 2 kids areas is because it was built before the two kids areas. And the entrance skull was on the other side of the building.

-There ARE queue switchbacks for the rides that need them, they never over flow though, they fit everyone fine, its just that you move stupidly slow through them. When you go to MW you can see they have proper switchbacks there.

Oh, and I forgot to ask, did you check out the back half of the park with the animal exhibits?

Thunder, I thought that Cyclone was pretty smooth...but it did have a few bumps. One on the turn before the zig zag, and one on the back turn around underneath some random slide.

What is this herecy! I need to go up to the Gold Coast soon to see this for myself.

-I see one BIG flaw with the park. All of the queues are small, except for Cyclone. All of the lines are made for small crowds! I mean, none have switch backs, and on a weekend, I could see the midways FLOWING with lines from who knows what rides.

The thing is though, it doesn't get that busy. I've been in the middle of peak school holidays, and the queue lines have haven't ever overflown once, with the exception of the Eureka Mountain Mine Ride.

Based on his pics, there are drops on both sides of TOT. Maybe behind it as well? Anyway, there are at least two rows so it's not just everyone waiting for one little row.

Way to rep the GCL while Down Under, JZ! Chaminade-Julienne class of '07 myself.

--Luke "I'll finally admit GCL South is stronger than North" Dickman