TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFNO/Jazzland Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive said it time and time again this week..this is what happends when you build your themepark..heck..your city, on swampland.

Come to think of it, Six Flags Atlantis has a nice ring to it...

You mean this is what happens when you build your city and park BELOW sea level NEXT to the ocean?

And have the only thing keep the Mississippi and Lake Ponchartrain out of the city are a levee and pump system. Its not the parks fault, I mean it was built there because people in a large area want places to go to be entertained thus they make money. Also, it looks like the themepark fared pretty well compared to the rest of the city.

I've never been there, what are all the blue canopy looking things?

IIRC--they are canopies over the walkways, as there are (seriously) about 3 trees in the park, and lots and lots of concrete.

I believe that at one time they were going to incorporate misters in to all of the canopies. That was (obviously) pre-SF.

JJ

I totally agree and did not mean to undermind the tremendous loss of life and property by posting the photos. I just thought as a Theme Park Board people would at least be curious to see the pictures.

Oh, no.... I didn't mean it that way, either. Trust me, I am a bit morbid in my fascination with it all....it's just so unbelievable. I really was referring more to the "will they rebuild?" type comments. Of all the things that need to be rebuilt, Six Flags is, I am sure, the least of anyone's concern at this point. However, it is amazing to see any park in the aftermath of a storm or natural disaster. I wasn't offended with the posting of the pics...they are really interesting.

Shari "I must have had angry sounding fingers when I was posting yesterday" Shoufler

Looking on the bright side, they have one of the only woodies with a splash!

seriously though, this is depressing on a new american level. Worse than last year's hurricane season in florida. But what is up with the people shooting at RESCUE helicopters over at the dome? apparently some idiots don't want to be rescued. To all others though, i apologize for the fact that you have to suffer because some don't wish to be rescued.

If anyone is out there reading this, can you grab me a new monitor? I'm sure there is a half submerged CompUSA there somewhere.

It's not like CompUSA doesn't have it coming, Pat Robertson told me that god sent the Hurricane to smite overpriced retailers. At least thats what the Unicorn told me.

Nothing wrong with a little looting during a crisis, heck, it worked in LA, twice!!

-Jeezer "Anyone wanna help me carry this B:TR outta here?!" Jooze

Ive said it time and time again this week..this is what happends when you build your themepark..heck..your city, on swampland.

Come to think of it, Six Flags Atlantis has a nice ring to it...

You mean this is what happens when you build your city and park BELOW sea level NEXT to the ocean?

It works for the Dutch. And Walabi World is below sea level... you can walk to one of the levees from the parking lot. Only reason I know this is Scouts had the World Jamboree on the land around the park in 1995. The lake Goliath wraps around was behind the stage and huge makeshift ampitheatre they set up. Unfortunately, my scoutmaster was a jerk and wouldn't give me permission to go to the park for a day so I had to sit there watching El Condor run all day long.

If they rebuild New Orleans, I think they should bring in a bunch of Dutch engineers to not only rebuild the levees, but to build a barrier system similar to the one they built to reduce the effects of storm surge.

Thank you for the photo's, the park looks like it has suffered quite badly but atleast all the rides are still standing.

I hope they can get the park back into shape and rides working soon.

This is not as important as the people who have lost their homes and are without food, water etc.

Very sad time for all who live in the area.

I live in Metairie, LA, which is a suburb of New Orleans. I haven't seen my house since Sunday, but it looks like I'll be able to on Monday. I'm at my parents house now which is about 25 miles west of the city. It looks like this will be the central hub of rescue operations for the time being. It's just crazy around here. I'm not sure if I still have a job, but luckily I've got enough saved to last me a while. Thanks for all your prayers, hopefully we can get this turned around and headed in the right direction, but it will take time.

SFNO is in the area which was hit the hardest by floods. It will be weeks before the water is removed. Not that this is the most important thing to worry about, but it helps to keep my mind off the tragedy.

Not to bring everyone down but, did you look at that hi res picture? Look just to the bottom of the park. That has got to be one of the saddest thing's I've have ever seen.

I don't get it. What is it that you're seeing?

There is a group of homes at the bottom of that hi rez satellite photo, take a look.

Stingrock, take care of yourself our prayers are with you guys.