TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain's New X2 Trains Photos & Video!

robbalvey

Hey everyone!

To follow up from our report from a couple of weeks ago, Theme Park Review was invited today to come take an up close look at X2's new trains.

Since I know you guys are here to drool over the photos and watch the video over and over, I'm not going to type that much.

The following photos and video were shot today in the transfer shed of X2. So far 2 rows of cars have been delivered. The paint job or the "X change operation" is nearing completion and the park is anticipating a Spring 2008 re-opening.

Check out both the photos and video below for a more in-depth explanation of many changes that were made to the trains.

Enjoy!

--Robb

EDIT! TPR Members! Now you can download the high res versions of these photos along with a DVD Image of the video in our Members Only forum:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

x2_trains_34.jpg.16990f3d2e3ed2619995218c60b0c9f0.jpg

Yup. When it opens it's going to launch at 85MPH! Didn't you hear about that part? Ok, ok, I'm just kidding!

Hopefully we'll see a lot of TPR members at the ride's opening in the Spring!

Special thanks to Tim and Neal for putting up with me today! =)

x2_trains_23.jpg.c18a3248f688aa6175c46fa858c31d22.jpg

Master! The X Change Operation is almost complete! BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

x2_trains_22.jpg.96e3075cbb7a18ca14d4bef790e50f00.jpg

Ok, I lied...there is a SMIDGEN of pink! (Dude, I can't believe it...I hit spell check and I actually spelled 'smidgen' correctly!)

x2_trains_21.jpg.fde27bffaa4194eb43eab1aca5bc29a7.jpg

Look ma! No more pink!

x2_trains_32.jpg.54c46eb6959c29726ac9389378b2e42f.jpg

So there they are...the new X2 trains. Excited? You better be! ;)

x2_trains_11.jpg.81573438d70cb97bc28ddc9b6112c52b.jpg

New train.....old train!

x2_trains_01.jpg.a58f7857d2b5b992fff96d668d861877.jpg

Ok, ok...we ALSO have a photo for you trash bag enthusiasts out there!!! Yay!!!

x2_trains_13.jpg.002812c112c584f7c50aa19dd3aade7b.jpg

Here some steel!

Wasn't that fun? =)

x2_trains_18.jpg.d74821148e2ccd99f49cf763de3a11d5.jpg

Here's some bolts.

x2_trains_25.jpg.2a3acb13845514a3c9566e02c5fd661b.jpg

Personally, I never really thought they looked THAT much like an "X" anyway. And hey, if it helps make the ride smoother, that's great! I for one aren't looking at the fiberglass parts while I'm riding anyway.

And because I know you're all facinated with bolts and steel, next up is the "bolts and steel" portion of the update.

x2_trains_10.jpg.b920edc32b46c6b810ed9eb62f841a8b.jpg

Gone are the fiberglass "X" coverings in another effort to cut back on the weight of the train.

x2_trains_26.jpg.b736cac2f4cac6a647b5115044822c01.jpg

The "Elephant Ear" on the old train. (Any one else getting hungry reading through this report???)

x2_trains_19.jpg.ecf87151e4a70adacbba6c22e12c00a3.jpg

As Tim explains in the video, the only piece that is currently missing is the "Elephant Ear" (which is not just a tasty fried dough treat, it's also the highly technical term of a protective piece that keeps your arm from becoming shredded beef!)

x2_trains_12.jpg.9003d9375e7331245dc893d729012190.jpg

You can see here where many changes were made to help lighten up the trains. All those holes used to be solid on the old trains.

x2_trains_27.jpg.41808703fa8edcd7d65fe98b80c0d0ff.jpg

..rather than jumping up and down on pedals that never seemed to work quite right on the old trains. This should make any load/unload issues in the station quicker to help increase capacity.

x2_trains_05.thumb.jpg.9a547c848f7f85e4f4869664d93eeb2e.jpg

The manual restraints will now open and close pneumatically by the push of a button...

x2_trains_28.jpg.6138f796e83035824fdc2460e39798ad.jpg

...Whereas on the old trains there were a lot more welds and bolts that held it together.

x2_trains_02.jpg.9cb754cf052fa84093b74aa950347d2c.jpg

The wheels...while yes they are still round...note that the assembly is one solid piece on the new train...

x2_trains_30.jpg.b9f63563cd88974063a370aa6fad8048.jpg

...that used to be solid steel on the old trains.

x2_trains_04.jpg.42b8b246ca0e68508db0a1bc2f68d9e9.jpg

In fact reducing weight was a primary goal for the new trains. You'll see holes punched into the steel framework on the new trains...

x2_trains_03.jpg.dd1702d8c6a4bcdd294c1ff195b4bf38.jpg

The new "Pickle Spoon" is one giant piece, and while lighter than the old pickle fork, should be more stable and make for a smoother ride.

x2_trains_24.jpg.dd2ed9daf265b0409b49e6d4de70f9ca.jpg

Here you can see the old "Pickle Forks" that the seats rest on...

x2_trains_10.jpg.09953460a788dc3d19da0b0b69901a77.jpg

So Tim Burkhart, SFMM General Manager explained that one of the main differences was converting the old "Pickle Forks" into "Pickle Spoons." (The actual technical term. We're not making this up! Someone went through YEARS of engineering school for this so please don't make fun of their names!)

x2_trains_20.jpg.4a701f80edf7b3e2bb6ae865f4edb7f2.jpg

Oh. *blush* I see. There really IS a train under there!

x2_trains_16.jpg.30cd1bcd8a6b134de64fc3b5b5e49a50.jpg

Wait a second! That's a trash bag with a wheel sticking out! You can't fool me!!!

x2_trains_35.jpg.40b6ce7f05b561a1c416a87f19892a13.jpg

Well, we were promised a look at the X2 trains, so let's follow the new signs to the ride!

x2_trains_36.jpg.f8e4a194e837b2d1be4c304a2f0ed2fa.jpg

If you look REAL close, you can still see some yellow left.

x2_trains_37.jpg.c9e2c8c0fcbec42f077366ea869a7efd.jpg

From outside the park you can see that almost all the track is now red. The "X Change Operation" which will take X from being girly pink & yellow to manly red & black is almost done!

x2_trains.zip

x2_trains.wmv

SFMM's Tim Burkhart explains all the new hottness of X2's trains!

(downloadable version of this video is below)

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BUT THE PROMO ART SHOWED FIBERGLASS PIECES!!! HOW COULD SIX FLAGS LIE TO US??!?!

Seriously though, the trains are looking great! I was thinking the other day how much higher I'd rank X if it was consistently smooth and running kick ass, now it looks like its close to reality. Yeah the trains are a little more industrial, but I don't care what they look like, as long as they are making X a better ride.

Plus this will definitely make the internet know-it-alls shut the hell up!

Someone over at C-Buzz mentioned that all those holes may make for interesting dynamics, I take it all that engineeering has been worked out.

We all know that everyong at C-Buzz thinks they are the "internet know-it-alls!"

Yes, I'm sure they have worked out the engineering over the many years they have spent working on the new trains.

Either that or Tim is right now on the other side of the screen smacking his head "DOH!!! We didn't even think about that!"

--Robb

Drachen Fire Fan Boy,

According to what the Picture Set said, they are doing away with the whole X fin fiberglass thing anyway, so to answer your question about the chameleon paint scheme, I guess it would be 'no' as there will be nowhere to put it

Chris.

Thanks for the update, that bloodly red paint job is seriously kick ass. The trains look to me like the trains the ride should have opened with in the first place, beefy, industrial, naked cold steel, imtimidating alien looking monsters. I can't wait to try these new monsters out

P.S.

Rob ,Elissa please please please try to drop as many sutlte INTAMIN hints as you can. I don't care if the next coaster is 10 years off I want intamin drilled into there heads lol el toro el toro, T express, T express, Piraten super sized. Intamin gyro swings, gryo towers, mega flats, intamin also has dark/sim rides turn this into an intamin park and they'll have to fight the customers off lol...

LOVE THE NEW TRAINS AND TRACK!! Thanks for the update. Can u get in a pic of the new tunnel?

man X2 looks great. good move on repainting the tracks and supports and adding new stuff on SFMM's part. Now if they could just add more flat rides, dark rides, or other non-roller coaster rides, and then they'll have a perfect balance of family and thrill rides. I also hope they'll update Collosus-make it less rough but maintain what makes it a classic wooden coaster.

hmm new toys are nice. splat! oops one more kink to work out but good times, good times. looking forward to see how the tunnels fair out but regardless smoother is better. no not that im talk bout the ride. sheesh its like im playing with a monkey...

cheers

Drachen Fire Fan Boy,

According to what the Picture Set said, they are doing away with the whole X fin fiberglass thing anyway, so to answer your question about the chameleon paint scheme, I guess it would be 'no' as there will be nowhere to put it

Chris.

If you watch the video Tim says one thing very clearly.

"The train as you see it is missing one piece of plastic that is not installed right now and its what we call the elephant ear...so you can't get your hands into anything that might pinch them."

There will be no coverings over the rack and pinion like the original (the parts that said Magic Mountain), but from what it sounds like there will be a cover over the X gear rod (the piece sticking up with the teeth on them).

So, I wonder what they'll look like? I vote camouflage.

Robb-

You mentioned in one of your photo captions:

"So Tim Burkhart, SFMM General Manager explained that one of the main differences was converting the old "Pickle Forks" into "Pickle Spoons." (The actual technical term. We're not making this up! Someone went through YEARS of engineering school for this so please don't make fun of their names!)"

Is Tim Burkhart now the General Manager? (Tim used to be my area supervisor when I worked on the Sarajevo Bobsleds.) I thought it was Jay Thomas? Has there been a change, is this a mistake or have I been under the wrong assumption the whole time?

After watching, my impression was only the elephant ear (the piece of fiberglass between the inside seat and the train) was going installed. I did not hear anything about covering the gear rod. Maybe a cover might be added after they see how the train handles the elements. But, I think it has been said before...I am sure MM has taken all of this into consideration.

But, I am definitely looking forward the new X2.