Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Adrenaline_Rush wrote:What the crap kinda rubbish recreation is that, it looks like it was thrown together in like 5 minutes.

Ok...YOU do better!

Jarvis "I'm waiting" Morant
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

A knight who says NI!

Postby Purplepills » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:22 am

Adrenaline_Rush wrote:What the crap kinda rubbish recreation is that, it looks like it was thrown together in like 5 minutes.

Whats so bad about it? Will be interesting to compare it to the final POV. I thought it was a pretty good effort myself.

As for the next stage, like Dave said we're waiting for the council to make up their minds. There's not going to be much to report until they do, asides a little infilling of the lake and suchlike. I believe the project has already been mentioned in staff newsletters, but the next big stage is the official announcement from the park and construction photos. If Thorpe do what they did for the last coaster Stealth, there was a mini website setup following the construction anyway, with preview videos posted of the ride and surrounding area, much like a lot of other rides recently.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean I'm not being followed.

Xbox Live gamertag: Purplepiiis, it makes sense when you see it on there. Add me if you want to play CoD4, not that I'm that good or anything.

The classic!

Postby dr.gumbo » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:55 am

Tussaud's (or British Merlin parks but I like calling them Tussaud's) need to get their act together, this has got to be the biggest copy of all time. I missed the days of John Wardley when their theming and designs were completely original. I know most people in England haven't been to Dollywood and this ride would proberbly do the park well but still...

I also don't agree with the supposed 'Texas chainsaw Massacar' theming, it might put off a few people.

Well at least its something! ;)

(I think chessington needs a new family coaster personally but I doubt anyone agree's but who knows)

Full Fledged RETARD!

Postby Adrenaline_Rush » Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:59 am

Im not saying the rides crap, Im just saying, if you ever sent this out to someone without telling them what it was you would get, its got way to many jerks, and its very odd...I was rating it based on the track, I mean the rides cool, but I was just rating it like any other NL track I see.

Wait...was this created by a fan, if it was then yes thats very well done, I thought it was the company who did this. Thats why I was saying it looked like rubbish, ok thats great if someone just did it based off of the designs they gave us.

A knight who says NI!

Postby Purplepills » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:01 am

^Yes it was created by a fan, so I see where you were coming from with the previous post. Had it been the official video I would have to agree it would be a little disappointing.

^^It may be a copy, but then does it realllllly matter? Like you say, I bet if you went up to people at the park and asked them about MM at Dollywood about 95% of them or more would be likely to stare at you blankly and wonder what the hell you were going on about. Thats the problem when you're into coasters, you know what exists elsewhere and tend to compare it with other things. Not long ago I was talking to someone about Stealth, and she had no idea that TTD or KK even existed, she just thought Stealth was tall and fast. I do see your point but I don't think it will take away from the ride.

As for Texas Chainsaw Massacre theming that does seem a bit weird to me aswell. I guess it would be more about being chased by some crazy person with a chainsaw than seeing people get cut up. Just have to wait and see.

Xbox Live gamertag: Purplepiiis, it makes sense when you see it on there. Add me if you want to play CoD4, not that I'm that good or anything.

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:11 pm

dr.gumbo wrote:Tussaud's (or British Merlin parks but I like calling them Tussaud's) need to get their act together, this has got to be the biggest copy of all time. I missed the days of John Wardley when their theming and designs were completely original.

John Wardley is involved with this one...
John Wardley's web site wrote:His current projects include the creation of a major new attraction for Thorpe Park for 2009, and a new children's adventure park in Kent.

Purplepills, the park have already confirmed it

Thorpe Park wrote:Press Release
27th November 2007
THORPE PARK - DEVELOPING THE THRILLS

In line with the Thorpe Park’s Medium Term Development Plan, application for full planning permission for a new rollercoaster in 2009 has been submitted to the Runnymede Borough Council. This can be viewed on the Runnymede Borough Council website, www.runnymede.gov.uk (ref: RU.07/1230).

The German manufacturer Gerstlauer have been commissioned to build one of their trademark Euro-Fighter roller coasters which, subject to planning permission, will open in Spring 2009. Based in the Canada Creek area of the Park, the new coaster will comprise of Gerstlauer’s unique and innovative ‘beyond vertical’ drop from a breathtaking 100ft before travelling through a number of different thrill elements customised for Thorpe Park.

Peter Ronchetti, General Manager, comments:
“Thorpe Park has developed significantly over the last decade to create one of the UK’s most popular attractions for thrill-hunters. We have invested over £35 million since 1998 in exciting new rides and attractions including Stealth - Europe’s fastest rollercoaster, Colossus - the world’s first 10 looping rollercoaster and Nemesis Inferno the 4.5 G-force experience.

This new development for 2009 will further add to the park’s impressive ride portfolio and firmly establish Thorpe Park as the UK’s most thrilling attraction with a wide range of adrenalin pumping rides.”

Ask me about being a pathological liar!!

Postby kraken613 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:59 pm

I really like Euro-Fighters they just have something neat about them. Im excited to see more of this one.

A knight who says NI!

Postby Purplepills » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:03 am

^^ Didn't know there had been a press release, so thanks for that. I'd looked but couldn't see anything on their (awesome new THORPE PARK) website about it. I was more thinking towards the stealth style billboards around the construction area, and announcements/sections on the website to inform the GP and suchlike.

Don't make me kick you in the donkey!

Postby verticalzero » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:47 am

If the final layout is like the No Limits video I will be happy with that. It is not a copy from any other ride. 1 thing missing though: :airtime: Hills
"Roller coaster design is a science, as well as an art: a state of pure bliss".

--------------------------------------

Site Admin

Thorpe Parks 2009 - SAW: The Ride

Postby robbalvey » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:14 am

This just in from Thorpe Park:

PRESS RELEASE
31st January 2008

THORPE PARK is delighted to announce that on Wednesday 30th January 2008 Runnymede Borough Council granted full planning consent for the Park’s fourth rollercoaster, and construction will commence in May 2008.

The key element of the ride will be a ‘beyond vertical’ drop of 97º from a height of 100ft, before running through a number of thrill elements specifically developed for THORPE PARK. With four loops, the new rollercoaster will take the Chertsey based theme park up to number three in the world for total number of inversions, at an impressive 18 - ten ahead of the number two in the UK.

Located in the Canada Creek area of the Park, the new ride will offer thrill hunters an experience of a lifetime, creating a darker atmosphere never seen before at THORPE PARK. This new addition adds innovative thrills to the impressive portfolio already at the Park, including Stealth - Europe’s fastest rollercoaster, Colossus - the world’s first ten looping rollercoaster and Nemesis Inferno - the 4.5 G-force experience.

Peter Ronchetti, General Manager, comments:
“Building on the successful launch of the Park’s iconic ride Stealth in 2006, the new rollercoaster will add an element of edge to an already adrenalin packed breadth of thrills on offer. We are determined to establish THORPE PARK as the UK’s most thrilling attraction and adding this development to our current portfolio will certainly do that.”

2009 Rollercoaster Quick Facts:

• 100ft, 97º ‘beyond vertical’ drop
• 4 inversions
• Each individual car holds 8 passengers
• Up to 8 cars on the track
• Ride duration: 1min 40 seconds
• 30 seconds (30%) inside the station building
• Track length: 2362ft
09CoasterVisual_small.jpg

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!