TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

^^ Didn't know there had been a press release, so thanks for that. I'd looked but couldn't see anything on their (awesome new THORPE PARK) website about it. I was more thinking towards the stealth style billboards around the construction area, and announcements/sections on the website to inform the GP and suchlike.

This just in from Thorpe Park:

PRESS RELEASE

31st January 2008

THORPE PARK is delighted to announce that on Wednesday 30th January 2008 Runnymede Borough Council granted full planning consent for the Park’s fourth rollercoaster, and construction will commence in May 2008.

The key element of the ride will be a ‘beyond vertical’ drop of 97º from a height of 100ft, before running through a number of thrill elements specifically developed for THORPE PARK. With four loops, the new rollercoaster will take the Chertsey based theme park up to number three in the world for total number of inversions, at an impressive 18 - ten ahead of the number two in the UK.

Located in the Canada Creek area of the Park, the new ride will offer thrill hunters an experience of a lifetime, creating a darker atmosphere never seen before at THORPE PARK. This new addition adds innovative thrills to the impressive portfolio already at the Park, including Stealth - Europe’s fastest rollercoaster, Colossus - the world’s first ten looping rollercoaster and Nemesis Inferno - the 4.5 G-force experience.

Peter Ronchetti, General Manager, comments:

“Building on the successful launch of the Park’s iconic ride Stealth in 2006, the new rollercoaster will add an element of edge to an already adrenalin packed breadth of thrills on offer. We are determined to establish THORPE PARK as the UK’s most thrilling attraction and adding this development to our current portfolio will certainly do that.”

2009 Rollercoaster Quick Facts:

• 100ft, 97º ‘beyond vertical’ drop

• 4 inversions

• Each individual car holds 8 passengers

• Up to 8 cars on the track

• Ride duration: 1min 40 seconds

• 30 seconds (30%) inside the station building

• Track length: 2362ft

09CoasterVisual_small.thumb.jpg.959f8835abf7ed112f34d68a4f29fb54.jpg

I completely agree, but the thing is that I don't think the non-enthusiast population has caught on yet as we have. These companies are trying to milk everything they possibly can out of it before the non-enthusiasts realize it's redundant.

Anyway, looks like a really fun coaster! I have to get out to Europe one of these years!

^^ You gotta remember though that WE hear about every one of these, and even though there are two other Gerstlauer Eurofighters in the UK, Oakwood is nowhere near London, and Southend's is also pretty far.

I'm sure most people in Thorpe's local demographic have never heard of a ride like this before.

--Robb

the average theme park patron probably hasn't *heard* of Southend, so I guess it'll be new to them

That's kind of what I meant. In a way, Southend is sort of like Scandia here in So Cal...and I guarantee that most people in So Cal have never heard of Scandia, unless they live within about 20 miles of the place.

--Robb

I would of liked to see something much more original from Tussauds (or British Merlin). I liked the days when they used to bring out rides completly out of the ordinary. Your right Robb that most people would'nt have heard of the other two and that a beyond vertical drop would be the gimmick of the century but its just sad to see Tussauds inventive like they once were. Oh yes... those were the days.

(I would of prefered to of seen a El loco to be honest, I know it might of been a controversial choice but at least its different)

After Oakwood's Speed, I'm all in favor of more Eurofighters--it was a fun ride.

After so many great reviews about Speed, I was really anxious for Mystery Mine; however, I wasn't overly thrilled by it. Not a bad ride by any means, but just kind of middle of the pack. For those who've ridden both, can you compare them for us? Personally, for me, the jury's still out on the Eurofighter. I will give Thorpe credit for attempting to theme it though. That always garners bonus points from me.

I would of liked to see something much more original from Tussauds (or British Merlin). I liked the days when they used to bring out rides completly out of the ordinary.

Like what?

Nemesis or Nemesis: Inferno? A B&M invert

Air? A B&M flyer

Hex? A vekoma Mad House

Colossus? An Intamin 10 inversion

Basically, almost all of their major additions over the past 15 years have been fairly standard production rides. They just have done a pretty good job of theming or presenting them in such a way that it's different than just plopping them down without any decoration at all.

Other than Oblivion, I can't think of a single ride that Tussaud's built that was completely original.

--Robb

^^ You gotta remember though that WE hear about every one of these, and even though there are two other Gerstlauer Eurofighters in the UK, Oakwood is nowhere near London, and Southend's is also pretty far.

I'm sure most people in Thorpe's local demographic have never heard of a ride like this before.

--Robb

I know the average Joe Blow isn't going to know that there's more than one here and there, it just seems like this is the new caoster every park is going to try and cram in.

Just my two cents.

This looks and sounds like a pretty good ride, and going by the concept(and who owns the park), then the theming on this will turn out really well. The theming itself looks like a cross between Mystery Mine and Batman: the Ride, and it will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'm most interested in the layout of the ride, because going by the stats, there will be many elements in very little track length.

the average theme park patron probably hasn't *heard* of Southend, so I guess it'll be new to them

That's kind of what I meant. In a way, Southend is sort of like Scandia here in So Cal...and I guarantee that most people in So Cal have never heard of Scandia, unless they live within about 20 miles of the place.

--Robb

That's funny you mention Scandia, I live near it. I had seen that lovely rusting roller coaster of their's and me being the freak I am.....well I had to ride it. What made it scarier was on the way up the lift hill you could see all the rust on the steel. I liked riding in the front instead of the back smoother ride I thought. Not a bad little coaster if you have a big backyard!