TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Six Flags Magic Mountain (SFMM) Discussion Thread

I would hardly call what he posted "mourning." He basically just said he wanted the credit, and doesn't care for X since he got the credit and the ride blows.

I personally wouldn't care if X was demolished either.

X is the parks marquee ride, they could get rid of STE and DejaVu without much backlash but X will cause a lot of commotion. The upgrade the ride is getting is much needed and a wise investment.

Flashback pretty much has been "removed" for years IMO. I think we all knew a long time ago it was never going to operate again and was just a matter of time until the space is put to better use.

I just hope the flats are replaced with newer ones over the next few years, or at least something that looks nice. Pavement circles never look good at a park.

Its nice to see Sky Tower/Freefall/Orient Express open again. Hoepfully Metro is soon to be removed, I can imagine some park guests being somewhat frustrated they have to walk around everywhere when there is a monorail track right above their head .

The only reason why X2's going to be red is because they don't want people knowing the true brutality of the ride...

??

freefall is going to be demolished... and screamscape is reporting that flashback has finally gotten the ax..

http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_magic_mountain.html

Its nice to see Sky Tower/Freefall/Orient Express open again. Hoepfully Metro is soon to be removed, I can imagine some park guests being somewhat frustrated they have to walk around everywhere when there is a monorail track right above their head .

Well, I guess the only thing that matters is that X isn't getting demolished and that it will be open for all of us X fans for years and years to come! Oh the joy of the 5th dimension!

^Its really sad and unfortunate to hear that you never got the Flashback credit. I rode several times on my visits to the park, it was a blast!!!

If anybody else cares to share their ride experiences with the "non-Flashback credit mourner," now would be the time!

If anybody else cares to share their ride experiences with the "non-Flashback credit mourner," now would be the time!

I rode it back in 2001. It was the first coaster I rode at SFMM because nothing else was open yet. The trains were horrible; they were like coffins pretty much. The restraints locked so hard on me one time that I seriously felt like my breathing was cut off. Despite that and the roughness on the hairpin turns, it was a decent ride. We re-rode it multiple times, so it wasn't that bad. The thing I enjoyed most about it was the amazing view of Hurricane Harbor on the straightaway before the first hairpin drop. The drops were the roughest part of the ride, but they still provided a very unique feel as the trains entered them and whiped through. I think flashback had the potential to be a pretty good ride if they would have given it some TLC and replacements for those murderous trains. Other than that, I don't have much to say.

Now it's your guys' turn to share your experiences for the non-Psyclone credit mourner, me.

I'm not sure how interested everyone is in the good bye of Flashback. However, I went by the park today to see what kind of destruction was being done on Flashback for those who were interested and wanted photos. It was really hard to find a couple good angles of the ride, I hadn't noticed how it had become so hard to get photos of it recently.

170045963_(N)FlashbackFront.jpg.5d49d3409618023216bfa980ab5c7315.jpg

Everything looks pretty normal on this side.

1832593426_(N)frontpark.jpg.412dd802fafa12fd9e601a8b0cd640a2.jpg

This is from right in front of the metal detectors. Soon this will be a shot of Goliath, and Flashback won't be in the way. Hope this satisfied those wanting to see what was going on!

(N)inside.jpg.d2257a91d911d3ddd813cb55e038674c.jpg

This photo was to show the inside of the spine. Kind of hard to see, however in person you could tell it was hallow. The rail support triangles stopped on the outside of the spine, welding was only done on the outside as well.

1686077346_(N)BadView.jpg.ead3b8d303fd7bf96a1f16afe147ba6e.jpg

Kind of a bad view, but it gives you an idea how they're taking it apart. As you can tell from the photos, this is no disassembly. Flashback will be scrap metal. You can also tell Viper has been painted, as well as part of X's turnaround. Part of the lift has been painted as well, but they got a long way to go.

(N)Flashback.jpg.81df9c09f9137cb509a0400fb6a988c8.jpg

And the total amount of construction as of 2 PM Friday. They were basically cutting pieces and letting them drop. You could hear the heavy metal bouncing off other still existing parts of the ride, it was a pretty cool sight to see.

185271595_(N)Lift.jpg.015a52a6f927108f373f803e515cc241.jpg

Here you can see the dip before the lift has been removed. Lift chain is also hanging.

That shed was actually the old queue building for Flashback! I totally stood in that building during the opening summer of that ride.

It later became lockers and then even later became storage.

Hopefully it will all become Hurricane Harbor expansion! That would kick ass!

--Robb

That shed was actually the old queue building for Flashback! I totally stood in that building during the opening summer of that ride.

It later became lockers and then even later became storage.

Hopefully it will all become Hurricane Harbor expansion! That would kick a$$!

--Robb

Oh yes! I do remember the covered queue now. I rode it right after it opened in '92 as well. I remember coke machines along one side, yes? I seem to remember lockers as well but I guess those came later, like you said.

Flashback originally opened in 1985 at Six Flags Great America as "Z-Force". While it was there (1985-1987) it was one of my favorite coasters, full of surprises and never disappointing. My favorite thing about it was the phenomenal upward helix at the end of the ride. I also got to ride it at Six Flags Over Georgia in 1990, and felt it had lost nothing. But, when riding it in 1998 at Magic Mountain, it had fallen into a sad state of disrepair. It was so rough it bore no resemblance to its original incarnation. If Magic Mountain had no intention of keeping the ride running well, then it is a good thing it is being dismantled. But, I cannot help but think that if it had found its way back to Gurnee, IL, we could have restored it and kept a totally unique attraction.

I know I have some old 1997 or 1996 video of some guy dreaming he was at SFMM for the day. They gave some POVs of Ninja, Psyclone, Viper, and Flashback! It's on VHS somewhere in the basement...if I find it I'll post the name. It was my first coaster video!