The Official "TPR Japan Trip 2007" Thread

1/12/08 - MORE Tokyo Disney Photos - Page 89
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I'm slow

Postby pagemaster_b » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:28 am

BarryH wrote:I sure wish I had some reading material in that line.

I did. My shorts have cargo pockets that allow me to stuff a paperback in it. I real life saver when I'm stuck in a line like that!
There's no problem too big that C-4 can't fix.

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:24 am

The next few updates will cover the Tokyo Disneyland Resort. This place is so awesome that it's impossible to do it all in one update, so there will be several parts.

This part is DisneySea and mostly Tower of Terror since it was new since our last visit.

Now, I will say that Tokyo DisneySea's Tower is IMO, not the "best." The drop sequence is far weaker than California or Florida's and while there is some airtime, it is nowhere near as forcefull as the other two. And like the California version, the lack of the 5th dimension really does make it feel like it's "missing something."

Where the DisneySea version is freaking AMAZING is in it's theming and pre-shows.

It's just incredible. Some of the best story and effects I've ever seen for an attraction.

Those of you familar with the California and Florida versions know that the storyline is that you're in a maintenance service elevator that takes you to "The Twilight Zone." Since there is no Twilight Zone TV show in Japan, they needed a new story.

This story revolves around an exporer named "Hightower" and his evil little idol called "Shiriki Utundu." While not getting too much into the story, let's just say that when Hightower stumbled upon this would-be inanimate idol he got more than he bargined for, including his demise. And in the Hightower Hotel, the location of his museum and other works of his exploration, thanks to Shiriki, YOU ARE NEXT TO GO!

We've included a video on how one of the most amazing effects of the show is done, so if you don't want t know the spoilers, don't click on the video!!!
disneysea_part1_01.jpg
So we got to Tokyo DisneySea about an hour before opening and look at how many people are already there!
(BTW, does anyone else think this photo looks like a model, or am I just insane?)
disneysea_part1_02.jpg
"Will the coaster enthusaists who are OBVIOUSLY not Japanese please stand up?"
disneysea_part1_03.jpg
If there is one thing to know about Tokyo Disney is "they love popcorn!" The English guides do not have the information about all their crazy popcorn flavors! Make sure you get a Japanese guide to find out and really interesting stuff!
disneysea_part1_04.jpg
Ahh, there it is...the best "looking" Tower of Terror yet!
disneysea_part1_05.jpg
Holy crap! Does that look like a lot of people getting FastPass?
disneysea_part1_06.jpg
That's nothing compared to THIS line! No, that's not the standby line, that's still the line for FastPass! It goes on for what seems like a mile!!! Oddly enough, it only took like 10 minutes to get through. The Japanese are so awesome.
disneysea_part1_07.jpg
"Caramel?" That's a pretty 'normal' popcorn flavor...we'll get to the really cool ones later....
disneysea_part1_08.jpg
"Thanks to the FastPass system we can now do the American thing and stuff our faces with food!"
(Hi Joey...nice fork!)
disneysea_part1_08a.jpg
We may be in Japan, but OMG, the Chinese food here was freaking amazing!!!
disneysea_part1_09.jpg
"Sea Salt Ice Cream anyone out of...um....what is this? Uhh....Ariel's SHELL?!?! WTF part of Ariel am I eating?!?! It's creamy...it's salty! OMG!!! OMG!!! EEEWWWWW!!!!!"
disneysea_part1_10.jpg
"The proper use of Ariel's shell! (later tonight this is all I will be wearing!"
disneysea_part1_11.jpg
"I totally just got the Ariel credit!"
disneysea_part1_12.jpg
Ahhh...Aquatopia. So stupid. So pointless. So TOTALLY AWESOME!!!
disneysea_part1_13.jpg
Two thumbs up for pointlessly awesome Aquatopia!
disneysea_part1_13a.jpg
And it gets bonus points for looking completely awesome at night!
disneysea_part1_22.jpg
Speaking about things that look awesome at night, is it time for our Tower of Terror ride yet?
disneysea_part1_15.jpg
The attention to detail even gets Jahan all hot and bothered.
disneysea_part1_16.jpg
More sexyness.
disneysea_part1_17.jpg
The lobby of the hotel looks pretty cool.
disneysea_part1_18.jpg
Put on your 3D glasses as the Kodak and the Walt Disney Company proudly present....
disneysea_part1_20.jpg
This is the "Shiriki" room where you see the cool effect in the video happen! There he is on the right just looking all innocent and all. Mean little f**cker!!!
disneysea_part1_23.jpg
Just a couple hours into the day and FastPass was nearly sold out. Standby at least wasn't too bad!
disneysea_part1_24.jpg
Instead of the boiler room you are in the museum. This part of the queue was really freaking cool!
disneysea_part1_19.jpg
Oh, BTW, did we mention the elevator's broke?
disneysea_part1_25.jpg
More museum looking stuff.
disneysea_part1_26.jpg
OMG! HIDDEN SHIRIKI'S!!!!
disneysea_part1_21.jpg
Yeah, did we mention how awesome it looked at night?
disneysea_part1_27.jpg
And we leave you with another photo of awesome "looking" Tower. I wish the ride was as good as Florida's but it's really not. It's basically California Adventure's version with a MUCH better story and theming, and a slightly weaker drop sequence.

Watch the video and check out the cool Shiriki effect. And we'll have more Tokyo Disney Resort photos soon!
Many thanks to Dan & Joey for their photos for this update!

Tokyo DisneySea's Tower of Terror has a lot of really awesome effects! One of them is the "Dissapearing Shiriki" trick. Watch the video to see how it's done!

(downloadable version below)

tot_shiriki.wmv [ 2.82 MiB | Viewed 24858 times ]

tot_shiriki.zip
Zipped version of the video so you can download it!
(2.65 MiB) Downloaded 1425 times

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:12 am

*fap fap fap* :lover:

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Melonballer » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:23 am

Finally, Tokyo Disney. I have been waiting for this. Thanks for posting it. I agree that the first pic does look like a model. Very weird. I look forward to the rest.
It's Magic... We don't have to explain it.

I'm slow

Postby pagemaster_b » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:26 am

"You must respect Shiriki Utundu no matter who you are!" :devil:

I never thought I would actually miss being at a park, but I so miss being at Disney Sea! :cry:

Words (and pictures) can't express how AWESOME this place is.
There's no problem too big that C-4 can't fix.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:29 am

<sigh>

Wanna go back.

:(
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:04 am

Let me just say that the video doesn't even do that effect justice. It's just that cool.

Fire Alarm Boy!

Postby arrowfanman » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:08 am

The attention to detail even gets Jahan all hot and bothered.

:sperm: x10000000000000

-Jahan

Worship me or fell my

Postby zaneymon » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:26 am

I love the Japanese People's reaction to the dissapering Shiriki.

Zane "Who happened to get first in his Japaneses class tonight" Williams
COASTER COUNT: 23 (21 steal 2 wood) Yes i no its nerdy

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:45 am

I loved the Japanese people's reaction to the tower ride itself.

Considering this was their first (for the most of them I figured, riding this one) experience in a ToT, I thought they were having a blast and enjoying the fun of being "scared" by Disney, lol.

It was great fun ride, every time I was on it.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!