The Official "TPR Japan Trip 2007" Thread

1/12/08 - MORE Tokyo Disney Photos - Page 89
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
He's kind of sad and pathetic

Postby BarryH » Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:42 pm

Just a random thought...I know some of the group went to Fuji-Q on a weekday rather than on a weekend (like most of us did, on a Saturday no less). I wonder how weekday vs. weekend crowds were like. Would that have made any difference in our wait times? I would assume not, but I'm curious.

I know I went to SFMM on a Friday in September and crowds were pretty light. I hate to see what crowds were like on Saturday!

Donald Duck...

Postby SteveC » Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:13 pm

Barry - I went on the Friday and the operating efficiency was no less than the Saturday and hence the 'Q's' (which I realise must be where Fuji Q takes its name) were not much different and I guess the crowds were similar.

(and remember we went on the Saturday so we could all get the best chance of riding given the weather forecast trauma at the time)

On the plus side there was no rain once we arrived at the park so the wait time for J-X was a standard one and a half hours with 2 trains running in random fashion. Dodonpa went down (with a line of again 1 and a half hours minimum already) but I obtained one of the dubious 'fastpass' ticket things...which in reality are raincheck passes and after much technical delay managed to leap on the ride about 3 hours later (along with Shane and Miles) with about 2 minutes to spare before we had to high tail it out of the park for the bus back.

Incidently and noting Robb's comments about the issuing of 600 raincheck tickets for J-X on the Saturday, they are meant to work differently to how they put it in practice.

The tickets are issued in numbered batches and the park is meant to announce over the loud speaker system for example 'All you losers with rain check tickets numbered 35 please proceed immediately to the ride or forever miss the golden opportunity' and so on in reasonably spaced intervals so everyone isn't held up en masse. That would have made sense if they had applied their own rules I guess.

This was explained to us, and realising we wouldn't recognize an announcement if it smacked us in the face with squid on a stick, we just played dumb and turned up and got messed around anyway.

All it meant to me was I got the other credits I missed on the Friday on the Saturday, but still there was no time to do haunted mansion walk through stuff etc.

I did have a great afternoon on Saturday re-riding Fujiyama which had the shortest line and you could actually clear it in approx 35 mins.

I would go back all the same on the off chance I can get much better views of Mount Fuji which is simply stunning, and on the plus side on Friday was mostly visible. Other than that I've got the UK parks if I feel the need for ghetto.

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby SigENeaT » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:29 pm

You guys are all raging about Fuji-Q purely because noone else claps when you are leaving and coming back to the station at other parks! ;)

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:08 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:But would you/me/we go back to Fuji-Q and get the other credits and rides/attractions, if it was on the schedule for a future TPR Japan trip?

Nope. I hope to never see Fuji-Q again. That place was the hellhole of the damned, and I'd rather spend the day poking myself with sharp things rather than wait around all day for craptacular coasters. Seriously, when Hamtaro is the best ride there, your ride collection might not be up to par.

I really think that any future trips to Japan include Fuji-Q as an option, where you can take that bus to the park if you like. I'll spend my money at a park where I'm actually treated like a customer and will actually have some fun.

Actually, I should take that back, I did have fun at Fuji-Q. But it wasn't because of any of the rides or anything, it's because Falafel is awesome and the two of us together equals entertainment, and we would have a good time in a field of broken bottles. Which I probably should not have typed here, as I've given them an idea, and Im sure the Shattered Glass Playzone will soon be announced as their 2008 attraction...

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

I Love Donkeys!

Postby nasai » Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:16 pm

It's so sad that it's evolved into the crap hole it is. I remember 1998 at Fujikyu as something entirely different. It had some amazing, and at the time, world record breaking, coasters. At least to me, as I'd not ridden anything over 200 feet, and they had 2 of them, no less!

Moonsault Scramble may have been an overly intense reverse boomerang, but damn... it was wild. :lover:

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:06 am

Barry,

In 2004 we went on a Thursday and yeah, the place was just as bad.

Postby BarryH » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:36 am

I never thought I'd say it, but...

I enjoyed my visit to SFMM!

Sure, SFMM had a 1 train operation on all coasters (except for Riddler's Revenge and Tatsu for 1-2 hours), an employee used profanity over the loadspeakers at Goldrusher, and a kid was kicked off Golitah for being too short and the ride ops didn't bother to measure them. But after experiencing Fuji-Q, SFMM looked like Disney in comparison!

Come on guys, stop bashing SFMM until you've visited Fuji-Q! :)

Site Admin

Postby robbalvey » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:00 pm

Next up! Lagunasia. This was a quirky little park that we had never been to before. The park itself was VERY well themed and had an amazing looking pool with some slides in the middle of the park, with all the dry rides around the perimeter.

The coasters themselves were all compact but very good! There was a Gerstlauer bobsled "Aqua Wind" (or "Wet Fart" we we renamed it) that wasn't as insane as the Klotten version, but had some great moments of air and fun indoor/outdoor sections.

"Pirate's Blast" was the new for 2007 coaster which was mostly a jerky ride through some "dark ride" like sets. We were told this is where the Indiana Jones style dark ride used to be, but it was removed to make room for the new coaster.

And then the highlight, at least for me, was a bizarre dark ride called "Magical Powder" which was based on a factory that made some kind of happy drug that turns boys into men and makes fat people thin! SERIOUSLY!!!! I love Japan! =)

Anyway.....
lagunasia01.jpg
"Please don't let this be a group of loser coaster enthusiasts....ah crap...."
lagunasia03.jpg
Dammit, I forgot to get my portable ashtray!!!
lagunasia05.jpg
The fort style entrance to Lagunasia. Very nice.
lagunasia5a.jpg
This is what you see when you walk into the park. Great setting! You can see some of the coasters in the background.
lagunasia06.jpg
Joey hangs out with his new retarded walrus friend! He named him "Jules."
lagunasia07.jpg
"Hello Mr. Pirate's Blast sign. Are you this new for 2007 coaster?" "Yup!" "Cha-CHING!"
lagunasia08.jpg
Ryan and Robb are not as sexy as the Japanese girls in the back.
lagunasia09.jpg
"What just happened?"
lagunasia10.jpg
We nick named it "Wet Fart"
lagunasia11.jpg
Aqua Wind was GREAT! It was a cross between a Wild Mouse and a Bobsled coaster. Good airtime and some fun indoor bits!
lagunasia12.jpg
Car load of losers!
lagunasia12a.jpg
Bob's way too happy. Chuck's all "I think I just swallowed my pancreas."
lagunasia13a.jpg
Magical Powder....yeah, Joey knows ALL about this stuff! *cough* Grog *cough*
lagunasia14.jpg
Joey, look! This one can make you a man!!! =)
lagunasia15.jpg
So the ride vehicles were these half-circle "lounge cars" that turned to face the other way half way through the ride. Very bizarre!
lagunasia16.jpg
This guy was like the "Giant Toast Monster!"
lagunasia16a.jpg
The happy elves work in a factory filled with cake, little duckies, and rodents. Yeah, I'm thinking there was some "Magical Powder" used in the design of this attraction!
lagunasia16b.jpg
Grandpa Elf has been taking the stuff for years and as you can see he's doin' just fiiiiiiiine....
lagunasia16c.jpg
There is so much happiness in this ride that it threatens my manhood!
lagunasia16d.jpg
And yes you CAN by cans of this stuff at the exit gift shop!!! (No, it didn't turn Joey into a man, just in case you're wondering...)
lagunasia17.jpg
There was one more coaster credit in the park, the "Stellar Coaster."
lagunasia18.jpg
The only thing "stellar" about it is that Elissa gets a credit! Yay!!!!
lagunasia20a_mark.jpg
I'm pretty sure the log flume was kind of wet.
lagunasia20_mark.jpg
"Did you feel something on your back? I think we might have gotten wet...but I'm not quite sure."
lagunasia20b_mark.jpg
Judging by the look on Chris' face, Lou is about to get a little bit wetter! :D
lagunasia21.jpg
"When your underwear goes squish, squish, squish, you know it was a good ride!!! Oh, you meant about the log flume.....!"
lagunasia20_falafel.jpg
My Melody agrees! Lagunasia kicks A$$!
lagunasia22.jpg
And finally we leave you with "Meat Cow." Probably the coolest thing we found in all the Japanese capsule machine! (Ask Dave or Falafel to sing the song for you!) Meat Cow had other friends such as "Meat Chicken" and "Meat Fish" which informed you what all the animals body parts where. It's educational, weird, and FUN!!! =)

Thanks to Mark, Chuck, Dan, Falafel, and Jeff for contributing photos to this update!)

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:34 pm

I just found our Magical Powder Cell Phone Charms in our souvenir bag!! YAY!

Postby BarryH » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:51 pm

Great photos!

I love Lagunasia, particularly Ninja Cat!

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!