TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

Did anyone happen to notice Eagle?

I don't mean to draw attention away for Tony, but The Screamin' eagle looks gorgeous! It's the best it's looked in years! SFStL suddenly has so much more appeal, with Tony, painted Eagle, and Rocket's!

^ Yea, they painted Eagle last year when the put in Superman: Tower of Power. The first half is re-painted, but as soon as you dive down the 92ft drop, the beauty stops but the airtime i still there so I'm not complaining.

Yesac519, I found that the ride can be boring one time, and crazy insanely fun five minutes later all depending on who you're sitting with and the weight difference on each side.

Six Flagsish, adj. : 1- Of or pertaining to the rides, food, theming, location, admission, and corporation of Six Flags. 2- Generally crumby; of poor reputation; ill-managed.

I'll have to submit that one to Webster's

• 4 months later...
New Wooden Roller Coaster, Evel Knievel, Rides into Six Flags St. Louis 2008

New thrill ride marks park’s fourth consecutive year of capital expansion

St. Louis – September 27, 2007 – Continuing its tradition of providing park guests with new and exciting thrills each season, Six Flags St. Louis announced today plans for its latest addition: Evel Knievel. This $7 million wooden wonder is unlike any of the park’s existing eight coasters. Evel Knievel, the park’s third wooden coaster, is a compact twister by Great Coasters International, Inc. which will present an impressive visual from I-44 and a formidable challenge in person.

“The unpredictability and high energy of this coaster makes it the perfect way to pay tribute to the king of adrenaline, Evel Knievel,” said David Roemer, President of Six Flags St. Louis.

A daredevil’s dream, the 2,700-ft. ride experience begins with an 80-ft. first drop at a 90° left turn angle, which is answered with a 55-ft. double down drop. Sixteen hills follow with camelbacks, a 40-ft. fan curve and multiple high-banked turns at up to 67° angles. Standing 82-ft. tall and traveling 50 mph, this intense coaster crosses over itself an incredible 14 times while making frequent and tight directional changes. Evel Knievel will boast two 24-passenger trains of GCI’s own Millennium Flyer cars specially designed to maneuver the ride’s sharp turns and high banks on a dime while providing an exceptionally smooth ride.

Evel Knievel, born in Butte, Montana in 1938, began his daredevil career in 1965 and over the next 12 years earned the name of America’s Legendary Daredevil for his heroic and death-defying feats. Through his eventful career, Evel had garnered international media attention for both his successful jumps and his amazing crashes. Some of his career highlights and best known feats include setting a world record for jumping 19 cars in Ontario, CA in 1971; flying over 50 cars stacked in the center of the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1973; jumping 14 Greyhound buses in Ohio in October of 1974 and soaring over Snake River Canyon in Idaho in his rocket powered “skycyle” that same year. They rival some of his more spectacular spills, including his jump over the fountains at Caesar’s Palace in 1968 and his leap over 13 double tiered buses in Wembley Stadium in 1975.

By the time he retired in the winter of 1976, Evel held the Guinness Book of World Records for the most broken bones and had also captured ABC’s Wide World of Sports largest TV viewing audience with his Ohio jump in 1974. Evel has also been immortalized in the Smithsonian Institute with his motorcycle and memorabilia display.

Evel Knievel is scheduled to open mid-summer 2008 and will be located in the front of the park near the Log Flume and the Moon Antique Cars. Six Flags St. Louis has brought its guests new and exciting experiences for the past four consecutive years with the addition of Tony Hawk’s Big Spin, a new family coaster, in 2007; the introduction of Bugs Bunny National Park, our new kids area, and SUPERMAN Tower Of Power, a free-fall ride, in 2006. And, in 2005, Tornado swept into Hurricane Harbor, Six Flags St. Louis’ water park which is offered free with theme park admission.

EvelLogo300.jpg.09449ea1755afdfc0aa734ba32994a4f.jpg

evil1.jpg.7fcb9d52206932a939338a19b3830e8f.jpg

Robb stopped that last thread in its tracks! (That was fast!)

For some reason, despite this ride's obvious apeal for origonality and quality, it feels like the park will be lacking something that every other SF park has. On the normal SF Wood/Steel coaster ratio, it's about 7-12 steel coasters for every one woodie. Certanly not the case for St. Louis.

I've compared the rendering of Evel Knievel to Thunderbird, and it looks like the only difference is that the track coming back towards the lift and first drop of EK drops next to the first drop and the track then curves clockwise around the first turnaround and jumps over those two low sections of track, whereas Tbird goes over the first drop BEFORE turning around counter-clockwise at that point. This looks like a really fun coaster. I, like many others, hope that the next coaster SFStL receives will be a nice steel one, either a large looper or hyper from B&M or Intamin, but I am REALLY looking forward to riding Evel Knievel next year.

Looks like a fun ride, I wonder how it will compare to Kentucky Rumbler which is currently my favorite GCI.

I think that wooden coasters will be growing trend in the Six Flags Chain because they are more family friendly and much cheaper to manufacture and build when compared steel prices now days.

I just hope Six Flags will give these new coasters the extra TLC they need to age gracefully.

As much as I wanted a hyper for our park I have to admit I'm pretty excited about this new addition. It really looks like it'll be an incredible ride! I just wish SFSTL would break the mold and paint the ride white. Since the coaster is themed to Evil Knievel anyway, how much more 70s could you get than by painting it white? In any case I say bring it on!

As an aside I wonder if they'll pull a THBS and start cloning this ride at other parks next year...?

I know, right?! Just imagine how great SFSTL's skyline would look with the brown of The Boss juxtaposed against a smaller but even more twisted white woody. Plus, white would definitely fit in with that section of the park, and of course the 70s theme. And it would go even further in distinguishing SFSTL from the other SF parks. Who knows, maybe it would start a new trend in wooden coasters. But you're right, they definitely won't paint it white.

Looks very similar to Thunderbird, which instantly made it to the top of my woodie list. Particularly the second half was amazing. I havent been on any other GCI's, but on Thunderbird they were really pushing the comfort limits when it comes to lateral G-forces, which is why I loved it so much. Im sure this will be just as great...

Wow this ride looks like a lot of fun, and even though it has some similarities to Thunderbird it still looks original. What a nice addition to a park that's already got 2 decently sized wood coasters already.

Looks like it'd fit perfectly in the corner at another Six Flags park that's actually lacking woodies.

Similar but bigger clone eventually for MM?

...nah.

I'm glad to see Six Flags will still manage to add larger coasters to their parks. While Thunderbird may not have been my favorite GCI, it was still a really fun ride and perfect for the masses. Hopefully they tweak those LIM brakes though if they add them to this one.

I'm sure this will be a big hit with the people in St. Louis, and will probably be the most enjoyable and comfortable woodie at the park. Yet one more reason for me to finally get to SFSTL.

.. and I said yesterday that I thought six flags only was going to add THBS's from now on...

Also, it seems that SF St.louis is getting all the attention, theres the other SF parks too!

As for the ride, the layout does'nt do anything for me but hey, at least a GCI is being built.