Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

P. 887 - Spinsanity Ride Announced for 2017!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 0 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Six Flags St. Louis Evel Knievel GCI Woodie for 2008

Postby robbalvey » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 pm

New Wooden Roller Coaster, Evel Knievel, Rides into Six Flags St. Louis 2008

New thrill ride marks park’s fourth consecutive year of capital expansion

St. Louis – September 27, 2007 – Continuing its tradition of providing park guests with new and exciting thrills each season, Six Flags St. Louis announced today plans for its latest addition: Evel Knievel. This $7 million wooden wonder is unlike any of the park’s existing eight coasters. Evel Knievel, the park’s third wooden coaster, is a compact twister by Great Coasters International, Inc. which will present an impressive visual from I-44 and a formidable challenge in person.

“The unpredictability and high energy of this coaster makes it the perfect way to pay tribute to the king of adrenaline, Evel Knievel,” said David Roemer, President of Six Flags St. Louis.

A daredevil’s dream, the 2,700-ft. ride experience begins with an 80-ft. first drop at a 90° left turn angle, which is answered with a 55-ft. double down drop. Sixteen hills follow with camelbacks, a 40-ft. fan curve and multiple high-banked turns at up to 67° angles. Standing 82-ft. tall and traveling 50 mph, this intense coaster crosses over itself an incredible 14 times while making frequent and tight directional changes. Evel Knievel will boast two 24-passenger trains of GCI’s own Millennium Flyer cars specially designed to maneuver the ride’s sharp turns and high banks on a dime while providing an exceptionally smooth ride.

Evel Knievel, born in Butte, Montana in 1938, began his daredevil career in 1965 and over the next 12 years earned the name of America’s Legendary Daredevil for his heroic and death-defying feats. Through his eventful career, Evel had garnered international media attention for both his successful jumps and his amazing crashes. Some of his career highlights and best known feats include setting a world record for jumping 19 cars in Ontario, CA in 1971; flying over 50 cars stacked in the center of the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1973; jumping 14 Greyhound buses in Ohio in October of 1974 and soaring over Snake River Canyon in Idaho in his rocket powered “skycyle” that same year. They rival some of his more spectacular spills, including his jump over the fountains at Caesar’s Palace in 1968 and his leap over 13 double tiered buses in Wembley Stadium in 1975.

By the time he retired in the winter of 1976, Evel held the Guinness Book of World Records for the most broken bones and had also captured ABC’s Wide World of Sports largest TV viewing audience with his Ohio jump in 1974. Evel has also been immortalized in the Smithsonian Institute with his motorcycle and memorabilia display.

Evel Knievel is scheduled to open mid-summer 2008 and will be located in the front of the park near the Log Flume and the Moon Antique Cars. Six Flags St. Louis has brought its guests new and exciting experiences for the past four consecutive years with the addition of Tony Hawk’s Big Spin, a new family coaster, in 2007; the introduction of Bugs Bunny National Park, our new kids area, and SUPERMAN Tower Of Power, a free-fall ride, in 2006. And, in 2005, Tornado swept into Hurricane Harbor, Six Flags St. Louis’ water park which is offered free with theme park admission.
evil1.jpg
EvelLogo300.jpg

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Axman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:44 pm

Robb stopped that last thread in its tracks! (That was fast!)

For some reason, despite this ride's obvious apeal for origonality and quality, it feels like the park will be lacking something that every other SF park has. On the normal SF Wood/Steel coaster ratio, it's about 7-12 steel coasters for every one woodie. Certanly not the case for St. Louis.
Alexander "I've decided that I don't really hate Magic Mountian, but I don't like it nearly as much as Cedar Point" Dickey

Current Coaster Count: 142

I know quite a lot about Donkeys!

Postby Peis » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:21 pm

Looks like a clone from Thunderbird in Power Park, Finland.

LG Matthias

Holy crap you have a HUGE donkey!

Postby StLCPfan » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:25 pm

I've compared the rendering of Evel Knievel to Thunderbird, and it looks like the only difference is that the track coming back towards the lift and first drop of EK drops next to the first drop and the track then curves clockwise around the first turnaround and jumps over those two low sections of track, whereas Tbird goes over the first drop BEFORE turning around counter-clockwise at that point. This looks like a really fun coaster. I, like many others, hope that the next coaster SFStL receives will be a nice steel one, either a large looper or hyper from B&M or Intamin, but I am REALLY looking forward to riding Evel Knievel next year.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby darklingscribe » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:31 pm

Looks like a fun ride, I wonder how it will compare to Kentucky Rumbler which is currently my favorite GCI.

I think that wooden coasters will be growing trend in the Six Flags Chain because they are more family friendly and much cheaper to manufacture and build when compared steel prices now days.

I just hope Six Flags will give these new coasters the extra TLC they need to age gracefully.

It's A Small World Fanboy

Postby Hang And Bang » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:50 pm

As much as I wanted a hyper for our park I have to admit I'm pretty excited about this new addition. It really looks like it'll be an incredible ride! I just wish SFSTL would break the mold and paint the ride white. Since the coaster is themed to Evil Knievel anyway, how much more 70s could you get than by painting it white? In any case I say bring it on!

As an aside I wonder if they'll pull a THBS and start cloning this ride at other parks next year...?

Bubbles!

Postby ParkTrips » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:53 pm

^ dude!! I really like that idea, I'm trying to think of the last woodie to be painted white... maybe White Cyclone? and before that, GA Cyclone? I think wood looks great in a whitewash, great idea even though they won't do it here!

It's A Small World Fanboy

Postby Hang And Bang » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:03 am

I know, right?! Just imagine how great SFSTL's skyline would look with the brown of The Boss juxtaposed against a smaller but even more twisted white woody. Plus, white would definitely fit in with that section of the park, and of course the 70s theme. And it would go even further in distinguishing SFSTL from the other SF parks. Who knows, maybe it would start a new trend in wooden coasters. But you're right, they definitely won't paint it white. :|

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby viking86 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:44 am

Looks very similar to Thunderbird, which instantly made it to the top of my woodie list. Particularly the second half was amazing. I havent been on any other GCI's, but on Thunderbird they were really pushing the comfort limits when it comes to lateral G-forces, which is why I loved it so much. Im sure this will be just as great...

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby alpengeist04 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:53 am

Now all they need is a Intamin woodie, and they'll be all set on the woodie front. In all seriousness, it looks like a great addition to SF St. Louis and well deserved.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!