Having ridden Atlantis Adventure today at Lotte World I am even more convinced that there may be some truth to the original rumors about Maverick being originally designed as an Aqua Trax, then later changed to a traditional coaster train!
There were so many similarities that you could compare with the two:
- Both rides are part launch, part lift hill.
- Both rides have extremely tight elements and transitions
- Both rides have short ride vehicles
- Both rides come very low to the ground more than a traditional ride.
- Both rides have water elements in them, yet neither actually come directly into contact with the water.
- Both rides can operate multiple ride vehicles at one time.
- Both rides have "dueling elements" where the trains pass each other.
- Both rides loading station are VERY similar
- Etc, etc, etc....
And most importantly, from having ridden both coasters within a few weeks of each other, Atantis Adventure "felt" like Maverick. And everyone in our group that had been on both certainly felt the similarities.
So that begs the question - If Maverick WAS originally designed as an Aqua Trax what would have changed the parks mind to traditional trains?
The only thing we could come up with is capacity. Atlantis Adventure DID take FOREVER to get on the ride, even when they were running 6 cars.
And to even further the speculation, I do wonder if the inversion that was removed was designed with an Aqua Trax car in mind, and when the design change took place they had fabricated the extra piece of track just in case it wouldn't work out. I say that only because it still baffles me how they would re-design, fabricate, and ship those pieces of track SO quickly after they realized the inversion wouldn't work. They must have been prepared for the alteration and a change of train type seems like a logical explanation.
Anyway, this is all total SPECULATION on my part based on now having ridden both rides, heard stories from some of my "industry friends", and really just using some common sense and logic.
Having said that, though I may still be totally wrong!
Anyway, both rides are excellent and exceeded my expecations, so regardless of what type of coaster Maverick or Atlantis Adventure are were going to be, they are both awesome and everyone should get out and ride them!
- Is it possible that Maverick might have originally been created as one of these?
- While you can't see it, inside that building is a tophat with a vertical drop and some VERY tight transitions, elements very similar to Maverick.
- The ride 'feels' VERY much like Maverick...moreso like Maverick than any other coaster I can think of.
- Very tight, FAST turns, just like on Maverick.
- A lot of the ride is very low to the ground.
- You're not supposed to get this wet, but when someone in front of you sticks their arm out in front of the fountains, it sprays back on the riders! Elissa was NOT amused! (I'm sure Dan will be laughing his A$$ off!!!)