TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Cedar Point (CP) Discussion Thread

p. 2030 - Top Thrill 2 announced!

I have never been on a topple tower. When I went to Dollywood is was closed. They look really fun but I have heard that they are boring and a waste of a ride.

As for top spins They are fun depending on what program they are running. The best one I have ever been on was Tomb Raider at Kings Island which had amazing themeing, and a good program. The only thing that was bad was the sudden stops that it made in order to follow the story line.

As for top spins They are fun depending on what program they are running. The best one I have ever been on was Tomb Raider at Kings Island.

Get yourself to Coney Island this weekend before their Top Spin is sold. That is a crazy program.

^ When you say "tearing" itself apart... what do you mean by that. And if it is, why is it running?! I would still love to see one of these "Giant Top Spins"

The Giant Top Spins at Kings Island has not been running much this year. If you ride the Beast you can see all or most of theming outside of the building.

^ When you say "tearing" itself apart... what do you mean by that. And if it is, why is it running?! I would still love to see one of these "Giant Top Spins"

The Giant Top Spins at Kings Island has not been running much this year. If you ride the Beast you can see all or most of theming outside of the building.

When I was at KI in July all the themeing on Tomb Raider was working as was the ride.

• 3 weeks later...

Having ridden Atlantis Adventure today at Lotte World I am even more convinced that there may be some truth to the original rumors about Maverick being originally designed as an Aqua Trax, then later changed to a traditional coaster train!

There were so many similarities that you could compare with the two:

- Both rides are part launch, part lift hill.

- Both rides have extremely tight elements and transitions

- Both rides have short ride vehicles

- Both rides come very low to the ground more than a traditional ride.

- Both rides have water elements in them, yet neither actually come directly into contact with the water.

- Both rides can operate multiple ride vehicles at one time.

- Both rides have "dueling elements" where the trains pass each other.

- Both rides loading station are VERY similar

- Etc, etc, etc....

And most importantly, from having ridden both coasters within a few weeks of each other, Atantis Adventure "felt" like Maverick. And everyone in our group that had been on both certainly felt the similarities.

So that begs the question - If Maverick WAS originally designed as an Aqua Trax what would have changed the parks mind to traditional trains?

The only thing we could come up with is capacity. Atlantis Adventure DID take FOREVER to get on the ride, even when they were running 6 cars.

And to even further the speculation, I do wonder if the inversion that was removed was designed with an Aqua Trax car in mind, and when the design change took place they had fabricated the extra piece of track just in case it wouldn't work out. I say that only because it still baffles me how they would re-design, fabricate, and ship those pieces of track SO quickly after they realized the inversion wouldn't work. They must have been prepared for the alteration and a change of train type seems like a logical explanation.

Anyway, this is all total SPECULATION on my part based on now having ridden both rides, heard stories from some of my "industry friends", and really just using some common sense and logic.

Having said that, though I may still be totally wrong!

Anyway, both rides are excellent and exceeded my expecations, so regardless of what type of coaster Maverick or Atlantis Adventure are were going to be, they are both awesome and everyone should get out and ride them!

--Robb

aquatrax05.jpg.6a133cd584bb7cfee0a6bc76d5f41421.jpg

You're not supposed to get this wet, but when someone in front of you sticks their arm out in front of the fountains, it sprays back on the riders! Elissa was NOT amused! (I'm sure Dan will be laughing his ass off!!!)

aquatrax04.jpg.4115cad0033a65fb93001a8116b694bf.jpg

A lot of the ride is very low to the ground.

aquatrax03.jpg.bbb3f5e1dab2bc50be8915460b8a7845.jpg

Very tight, FAST turns, just like on Maverick.

aquatrax02.jpg.86b248f7dc98a4c92374b39414d12e61.jpg

The ride 'feels' VERY much like Maverick...moreso like Maverick than any other coaster I can think of.

aquatrax01.jpg.947f5dd45f5b3ead73ac72698ca5b99e.jpg

While you can't see it, inside that building is a tophat with a vertical drop and some VERY tight transitions, elements very similar to Maverick.

aqua1.jpg.35cd518ffbfe23bdc97c831bf5c6ca9e.jpg

Is it possible that Maverick might have originally been created as one of these?

^What he said.

The only thing missing from Atlantis was inversions, but those trains had more than enough room for the installation of OTSR's if needed.

There is also a drop into a banked turn above water on both too...

No doubt in my mind now that Maverick was at some point an Aquatrax design.

'Atlantis' looks like an awesome ride, i really really want a ride on it...........but, im still happy with whatever decisions Cedar Point had to make to end up creating Maverick. Maverick was so much fun, i almost peed in my pants.

(although one particular ride on the bronze train in the back right hand seat was seriously the roughest ride ive had on a steel coaster, must have had a square wheel or even 'no' wheel that day, ouch)

Apart from the slow loading times, an Aquatrax still would have been sweet at Cedar Point, why arent there that many of these at other parks?

Here's my only question about the Maverick Aqua Trax debate.........Why does Maverick close so quickly at the slightest bit of rain? Is it just the trains? I mean if it was originally an Aqua Trax design wouldn't it have been designed to handle a little bit of water in spots? But overall, I have to agree with Robb, the similarities are just too close to not think that this may have originally been an Aqua Trax design.

Here's my only question about the Maverick Aqua Trax debate.........Why does Maverick close so quickly at the slightest bit of rain? Is it just the trains? I mean if it was originally an Aqua Trax design wouldn't it have been designed to handle a little bit of water in spots?

Dude, so does Atlantis Adventure!!! I makes NO SENSE I know, but it does. In fact, today was our second visit to Lotte World because when we were there on Monday Atlantis was closed due to rain, so we had to make a return visit there.

Keep in mind that the Aqua Trax train never actually does come in contact with the water. Matterhorn's bobsleds have more contact than Atlantis does.

--Robb