TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worldwide Drinking ages

http://www.wineintro.com/wineries/drinkingages.html

In the United States, while you become an adult at age 18, you have to wait three years before you're allowed to drink. For three long years, adults that can marry, have children, vote, and die in armed conflict, are unable to drink Champagne to celebrate their victories, or port to soothe their heartaches. How does this compare to other countries?

Mexico, to the south, has a drinking age of 18. There is little wine in Mexico, due to its hot and dry climate. Canada, to the north, also has a drinking age of 18. They create some delicious ice wines and rieslings, especially in the Niagara region of Ontario.

The United Kingdom has an interesting situation. Parents may purchase alcohol for their children to drink with a meal once they turn 5. A 16 year old can buy alcohol on their own to drink with a meal, and once the young adult is 18, they can buy alcohol for any purpose.

Ah, France. Country of wine! The drinking age here is 18, and wine is served with practically every meal. In Germany you can drink beer or wine at 16, but wait until 16 for hard liquor. Germany is a country known well for its beer but which also creates some delicious eiswein. Italy does not have a drinking age at all, but has the highest volume of wine produced by any country.

Further east, Australia is now well known for its wide variety of wines, and has a drinking age of 18. Nearby New Zealand is slightly more strict - you can drink at age 18 with an adult with you, but must be 21 to drink on your own.

In Japan, the legal drinking age is 20, but you are essentially allowed to drink once you turn 18. There are even vending machines that dole out small bottles of alcohol in various locations.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Belgium you can start drinking once your 16.

However nobody will look strange at you when your little child would drink some of your wine during dinner....

just trying to update you all on the drinking list

Nearby New Zealand is slightly more strict - you can drink at age 18 with an adult with you, but must be 21 to drink on your own.

When did they last up date there site?

Any way the law says you can drink at any age if your pernets give you the booze and you ca go in to pubs (or ill be out of a job) but 18 to bye your own booze and work in a behnd a bar. Its true my dad always offeres me beers

Zane "I love NZ " Williams

In Germany you can drink beer or wine at 16, but wait until 16 for hard liquor. Germany is a country known well for its beer but which also creates some delicious eiswein.

... wait until 16 for hard liquor??? That is not correct. You have to wait until 18 for hard liquor. Beer and Wine you can drink at 16, that is true!

--Sören

In Belgium you can start drinking once your 16.

However nobody will look strange at you when your little child would drink some of your wine during dinner....

just trying to update you all on the drinking list

Yes, that's right! But most Belgian teens have allready had their first real drink when they're 13 or 14!

I think that the 21 age drinking minimum is pretty ridiculous..it's so easy to get liquor at any age, much less when your 18. They should just make it easier and just give you everything when you turn 18. But hey, I drink occasionally, and I'm only 15 . Champaigne at weddings, sharing a daiquiri, margurita or pina colada with my mom. She even told me she was so desperate to get me to sleep when I was a toddler she gave me alcohol...and it didn't work!