TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

We've been taking bets to see when it'll get trimed or ever reprofiled! The twister section, and the bottom of the first drop and turn around is where the problems and reports were coming from.

(We meening the GA Fanboys)

-Dainan " " Rafferty

The only difference is that you no longer get the pop of air over the top of the lift, and you know longer get thrown into the first drop.

The ride was the most exteme ever, but with them slowing down the lift, it's back to normal Toro! So it's nothing to be too worked up about!

I'd have to ride it again to judge for myself, but with what you've described, I don't think I'd rank Toro quite as high as I did before.

I just don't believe that with loss of speed going over the first hill it doesn't affect the rest of the ride.

--Robb

The only difference is that you no longer get the pop of air over the top of the lift, and you know longer get thrown into the first drop.

The ride was the most exteme ever, but with them slowing down the lift, it's back to normal Toro! So it's nothing to be too worked up about!

I'd have to ride it again to judge for myself, but with what you've described, I don't think I'd rank Toro quite as high as I did before.

I just don't believe that with loss of speed going over the first hill it doesn't affect the rest of the ride.

--Robb

It really doesn't. The major increase of speed happened in the middle of May! The way the rides speed through out the ride now, is how it is intended. Trust me, we were all worried when we first took our rides with the new lift, and we all swept the sweat off our foreheads when it was done. it really doesn't effect the ride at all other than the lift and the turn!

-Dainan "And the Rolling Thunder hill is still magnificent" Rafferty

^ While I really WANT to believe you, because you know I really like everything you post, etc, you even call yourself a "GA Fanboy" and sometimes people tend to show things in the most positive light. But even in your video it looks like it goes a bit slower over that 2nd hill.

Trust me, I *want* to believe you....I really do....I'll just have to ride it for myself to find out.

--Robb

EDIT: You notice it the most at the bottom of the 2nd drop going up into the 3rd hill. I'd say your video shows it taking about .5 seconds longer to complete that section compared to the video I shot in April.

^ While I really WANT to believe you, because you know I really like everything you post, etc, you even call yourself a "GA Fanboy" and sometimes people tend to show things in the most positive light. But even in your video it looks like it goes a bit slower over that 2nd hill.

Trust me, I *want* to believe you....I really do....I'll just have to ride it for myself to find out.

--Robb

Thank you, I really do appreciate it when people say they like what I post. And I agree with you. I didn't believe it when they did it either, but I had to try it for my self. So now you have an excuse to come back over here and ride El Toro again!

-Dainan "This coming from the kid who loves Thunder Dolphin" Rafferty

Dainan "This coming from the kid who loves Thunder Dolphin" Rafferty

Oh, yeah...good point! Now I *know* you're full of crap!

--Robb

If it helps, I didn't like Fujikyu. And I had a much better trip the last time I went to Six Flags America .

-Dainan "Plus, I fell in love with TDS" Rafferty

A slower lift will in fact affect the overall speed of the ride. The only way i can agree that it did not affect the ride is if as the ride broke in, it became faster and was out of specification. Then by slowing the lift it brought the speed and stress down which put it back into spec and how it ran few months ago.

Now if you rode it just prior to the change, then rode it again just after the change, there is no way in hell you can say there is no difference.

It has been said that you don't get thrown over the top and you don't get whatever somewhere else. That is a big change right there. So there is a change.

Anyway, if you slow or speed a lift on any coaster it will affect it's overall speed. That is plain old physics.

So most definitely ET has been affected.

Good thing i have not ridden it yet, when i do i won't be dissapointed.

The Park might of received letters of complaints about the ride's speed over the hills and going up the lift hill. May see "trims" on the 1st drop next season if the Park thinks the ride is shaking it's self to destruction.

I hate to see any coaster slowed down, esp mid way with loads of bunny hops in front of you. e.g. Wild Thing. These should be taken at max speed.

The designers of roller coasters know how much strain and speed the structure can take, but as with most things new, they all have to be "tamed" after a while.

Hmm--glad I was able to experience it before they slowed down the lifthill; to me, that was a big part of the El Toro experience--being hurled around that curve at the top.

I'll reserve judgment until I ride it again.

No it really doesnt affect anything at all. Every time I've been on it since they slowed the lift down ET gave the same ride it always did. I know, its hard to believe. I didnt even believe it myself when I first heard of the news. But, it really doesnt affect anything thank god.

That totally ruins the crazy, out of control feeling the lift gets you - before, the train would just go barreling through that turn and only give you a few seconds to actually think about what you got yourself into. This sucks.

I dont know much about physics but I assumed the taller the lift hill and the drop the faster the ride would go. I dont believe that if the lift hiss was slowed that it would slow the entire ride down. Maybe they needed some more loading time to avoid stacking. Just conjecture not fact. I am just thinking.

I know many people have said this already, but the ride is still the same. It charges through the course and still throws you out of your seat. The Twister section even feels a little more out of control now! I just hope this ride can keep itself together because I'll kill thim if they trim that insane first drop

I remember how fast the lift was, but does anyone remember if it slowed at all once you leveled out at the top? If it did then I can see the slower lift speed not effecting the overall ride speed, if the speed is the same at the top. ...but then some say the turn around at the top is slower, so who knows.

Did anyone understand what I just said?

I dont know much about physics but I assumed the taller the lift hill and the drop the faster the ride would go. I dont believe that if the lift hiss was slowed that it would slow the entire ride down. Maybe they needed some more loading time to avoid stacking. Just conjecture not fact. I am just thinking.

Assuming that the original speed was 15 mph and the new speed is 5 mph, that would mean that there's a loss of 10 mph throughout the whole ride. However, I've heard chatter about new wheels, so that may have something to do with it (better wheels=faster ride).

To me, the slowed lift hill didn't do much, but the back half of the ride wasn't as fast as it was when I rode it last August. Usually things get "trimmed" or in this case just slows down so that the train doesn't complete the course faster than it was suppose to. Similar thing happened to Twister II in Denver, they recieved trims since the train completed the course faster than it was suppose to. However, have no fear, the shear intensity is still there and the air time is just incredible as before. The only thing I noticed was a slighty slower twister section. Then again I used to S:ROS .

It seems like you like ET more than Balder now, better not tell your wife!

^absolutely wrong, no scientific basis for this assumption. The majority of the coasting speed is the result of the gravity pulling the train down the first hill.

He is actually right, not to that dramatic of a speed difference but you do lose speed down the first drop from being slower at the top of the lift hill. If you have a speed of 15mph at the top and you gain 40mph from the drop, you have a total of 55mph at the bottom right? But it you start with 5mph at the top and gain 40mph from the drop, you end up with 45mph. Ofcourse the faster one would have greater air resistance and friction that would reduce the speed somewhat but still, you lose speed, that is if all the trains and wheels have stayed the same as before. I don't think that it would harm the effect of the ride at all as it would only be a small decrease in speed, and if they have changed the wheels then it wouldnt do anything to the rest of the ride having a slower lift hill speed.